1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 May '19 15:231 edit
    I was asked about Mormons so I thought this thread was in order. Here is the first..

The nature of God the Father.

Biblical point of view God has always been and anything created was created by God with Jesus.

Mormon belief is that God the Father was once a man like us who lived such a perfect life he was given his own reality to rule as God. He called his wife from his previous life got her pregnant and she gave birth to all souls, including Jesus' and Satan.
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 May '19 16:15
    @eladar said
    I was asked about Mormons so I thought this thread was in order. Here is the first..

Biblical point of view God has always been and anything created was created by God with Jesus.

Mormon belief is that God the Father was once a man like us who lived such a perfect life he was given his own reality to rule as God. He called his wife from his previous life got her pregnant and she gave birth to all souls, including Jesus' and Satan.
    The Mormons get points for creativity.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 May '19 16:192 edits
    @BigDoggProblem

Be a good enough Mormon and you too can become a God and get your wife eternally pregnant to populate your universe with souls.

That is another difference between what Mormons believe and traditional Christians. The belief that we can be like God is the same lie told to Eve by the serpent.

The Bible does not teach that men can become Gods. So this too is a conflict..
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 May '19 17:09
    @eladar said
    @BigDoggProblem

Be a good enough Mormon and you too can become a God and get your wife eternally pregnant to populate your universe with souls.

That is another difference between what Mormons believe and traditional Christians. The belief that we can be like God is the same lie told to Eve by the serpent.

The Bible does not teach that men can become Gods. So this too is a conflict..
    A conflict between assorted fairy tales. No biggie.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 May '19 17:42
    @BigDoggProblem

Moonbus wanted to know if I knew anything about Mormon beliefs so I started this thread.
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 May '19 18:07
    @eladar said
    @BigDoggProblem

Moonbus wanted to know if I knew anything about Mormon beliefs so I started this thread.
    Oh, you did, did you? You're so accommodating.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 May '19 18:29
    @BigDoggProblem

Yes and you use it as an opportunity to belittle my beliefs.
  8. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    15 May '19 21:20
    @eladar said

Mormons believe Jesus and Satan are brothers, Joseph Smith translated something called the Book of Abraham from papyrus scrolls which in later times were discovered to be ordinary Egyptian funerary scrolls.
    I have read the entire Book of Mormon and it begs the question , "How gullible are people ?"
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 May '19 21:231 edit
    @caissad4

Joseph Smith had the book of mormon written down as he dictated what he saw when he covered his face with his hat.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 May '19 22:39
    I guess moonbus really does not care about the topic. I guess he just brought it up to win some point or something.
  11. S. Korea
    Moves
    16 May '19 00:47
    There is a lot of evidence about the life of Joseph Smith which shows him to be a chronic liar and conman. Some of this is acknowledged by Mormons as being his life before the incidents, I believe, but there is a lot of troubling stuff that starts to unfold. the deeper the dive you take.

I heard about an Orthodox Church in Utah that had a 100+ members in a relatively small facility and had something like 40 catachumens. The Church hadn't existed just a few years prior but was absolutely bursting at the seams because of ex-Mormons entering it -- usually as entire families.

I have heard that Mormon families literally shun their own family members who leave the faith... Right there, my friend, and you know that you are dealing with an absolutely major problem. I am not saying it is a cult, because that is a very strong word, but that is cult like behavior.

Everyone has free will & must be free to choose, and the idea that we would just shun people we love because of a religious difference is unconscionable to me. But that sounds virtue signal-y in a very easy way so I will stop there.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 May '19 01:01
    @Philokalia

Hopefully someone learned something about why Mormons are not considered Christians by those of us who follow the Bible.
  13. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    16 May '19 01:49
    @philokalia said
    There is a lot of evidence about the life of Joseph Smith which shows him to be a chronic liar and conman. Some of this is acknowledged by Mormons as being his life before the incidents, I believe, but there is a lot of troubling stuff that starts to unfold. the deeper the dive you take.

I heard about an Orthodox Church in Utah that had a 100+ members in a rela ...[text shortened]... ce is unconscionable to me. But that sounds virtue signal-y in a very easy way so I will stop there.
    I am the eldest of eight siblings raised in the Mormon church. My parents determined to provide us with as much of a diverse opportunity to know and explore our own minds and consciences as possible. We had regular discussions around the dinner table about religious ideas and were free to speak our minds. To date, exactly half of us have left the church, but not one is shunned. On the contrary, we are close as ever and continue to express our points of view without fear of ostracism from anyone in the family. No where in Mormon theology nor policy is there any indication that families should shun those who choose to leave.

I used to be greatly pained by the perceptions of those outside (and ironically, inside) the church who thought they understood what Mormons believe. Now that I am no longer a member, I find vehement positing of misperceptions of Mormons and their beliefs merely entertaining.

By the way, I have read both The Book of Mormon and the Bible multiple times over and find each as fantastical as the other while gleaning valuable spiritual thought as while reading the Dhamapada or the Bhagavadgita. I find tgat I glean from each as much as I bring when I open their pages.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 May '19 02:032 edits
    @hakima

So do you believe what I stated about Mormon beliefs is incorrect?

Does...As man is God once was...ring a bell?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 May '19 03:25
    @eladar said

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Mormonism

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree