1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jan '21 12:46
    I asked Ghost to list two or three strongest contradictions he notices between Christ and his Apostle Paul. Ghost referred me to this list:
    ===============================
    Jesus Says Not To Eat Meat Sacrificed to Idols, But Paul Says It Is Ok.

• Jesus Says The Law Continues, But Paul Says No.

• Paul Says The Pharisees Followed The Law Rigorously, But Jesus Says They Were Lax About The Law.

• Jesus Says Salvation Initiates And Continues By Repentance From Sin and Obedience Besides Faith; Paul Says This is Heresy.

• Jesus Tells Apostles To Teach His Commands Given Prior to His Ascension While In The Flesh, But Paul Says Not To Do So.

• Paul Says Elders Are Entitled To Pay for 'Preaching & Teaching,' But Jesus Says No.

• Jesus Teaches There Are Only 12 Apostles Into Eternity, But Paul Adds Himself To The List As a Thirteenth.

• Paul Exhorts Celibacy, But Jesus Clearly Says It is A Choice Not Within Everyone's Power.

• Jesus Says There Is One Pastor and Teacher (Himself), But Paul Tells Church He is a Teacher, & There Are Many Pastors and Teachers.

• Paul Says God Is The God of the Dead, But Jesus Says God Is Not The God of the Dead.

• Paul Says God Does Not Live in Temples Made of Human Hands, But Jesus Says He Does.

• Jesus says Nations Of The World Are Under Satan, But Paul Says Its Rulers Are Agents of God.

• Jesus Teaches Rapture is Of Evil Ones First, But Paul Teaches The Opposite.

• Jesus Says A Call Is Revocable, But Paul Says It Is Irrevocable.

• Jesus Says Some Are Righteous, But Paul Says It Is Impossible.

• Paul Excludes Eating With Sinners But Christ's Example We Are To Follow, and the Lost Sheep Parable, Is Contrary.

• Paul Teaches We Are Eternally Secure, But Jesus Teaches Insecurity to a Sinning Believer.

• Paul Teaches In Original Sin But Jesus Contradicts.

• Paul Denies Obedience Grants Any Righteousness Unto Life, But Jesus & Exodus 20:6 Both Says It Does.

• Jesus Sends The Apostles to Baptize, But Paul Says Jesus Did Not Send Him to Baptize.

• Jesus Says Only the Merciful Receive Mercy, But Paul Says Only Those God Chooses Arbitrarily Will Receive Mercy.

• Paul Says Salvation Does Not Depend Upon Exertion, But Jesus Says It Does.

• Paul Says He Could Be Justified of The Sin that Never Could be Justified under the Law given Moses (Blasphemy), but Jesus says to the contrary that it is The Unpardonable Sin.

• Paul Says Flesh will not inherit the Kingdom of God, but Jesus in Flesh ascended to heaven, and promises to resurrect our bodies likewise to the Kingdom of the New Jerusalem, giving us the same physical resurrection that Jesus had.

https://www.jesuswordsonly.com/books/175-pauls-contradictions-of-jesus.html
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jan '21 12:49

This I find challenging and want to save it for latter.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jan '21 13:152 edits
    • Jesus Says The Law Continues, But Paul Says No.

Christ

Christ intentionally downplayed certain ritual ordinances of the law. But He made it clear that the morality of the law He did not abolish in the least. In fact the morality part Christ strengthened and made more penetrating.

1.) Christ contradicting certain ritual aspects of the law is seen in Him
    healing on the Sabbath (Mark 13:10; Luke 13:10-17) and declaring all foods permissible to eat (clean) (Mark 17:19)and intentionally doing other things on the seventh day Sabbath rest.

2.) While certain ceremonial or ritual aspects of the law Christ went against here He says the moral aspect of the Law He has no intention of terminating.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law of the prophets; I have not come to abolish but to fulfill.

For truly I say to you, Until heaven and earth pass away; one iota or one serif shall by no means pass away from the law until all come to pass." (Matt. 5:17,18)

"You have heard that it was said, You shall not commit adultery. But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman in order to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart." (Matt. 5:27,28)

The morality of the law here Christ makes more subjective, more demanding, more penetrating down to the motive of the heart and not just the physical action.

He did the same with murder in verses 21,22. The Jews had heard from the law of Moses a certain thing. But Jesus comes and makes the requirement deeper, more penetrating down to the innermost motive and inclination.

Paul

Follows Christ in downplaying some ritualistic ordinances of the law. Paul spoke of one thing that Jesus did not speak of - circumcision, de-emphasizing it. Like Christ Paul downplayed the holy diet and the seventh day Sabbath.

Romans, Colossians, Galatians, Philippians show examples of Paul following Christ to de-emphasize certain ritual ordinances of the law yet making the inner demand more subjective and requiring grace in the heart which is the empowering life of Christ living within.

By establishing the new covenant before His crucifixion Christ is the end of the law of Moses to everyone who believes in Him. (See Luke 22:20; Matt. 26:28)

Paul likewise writes - "Christ is the end of the law to everyone who believes" (Rom. 10:4)
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jan '21 13:292 edits
    • Paul Says The Pharisees Followed The Law Rigorously, But Jesus Says They Were Lax About The Law.

This is another fast and loose, rather cheapo example of a "contradiction" for people who don't really read the New Testament.

Paul said the he Paul was comparatively so diligent keeper of the law. Of course he doesn't mean he was blameless before God. He means that he was exemplary among other Pharisees.

Jesus also said some kept the law's ordinances diligently. Read Matthew 23:13-36. He says they were diligent yet hypocritical. They strain out a gnat with minute detail to ordinances yet swallow a camel in missing the moral point of the law.

Unless our righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees we cannot enter into the kingdom of the heavens. Only Christ Himself lives a righteous life pleasing to the Father. Christ Himself must be imparted into the saved in His resurrected form as the Spirit and be the indwelling grace in them to live unto God.

The "contradiction" here is another false one.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jan '21 13:32
    This is a lot of time consuming work.

I asked Ghost for his strongest two or three.
    So Ghost, which are the two or three strongest ones?

Rather than field the whole group of objections I ask him to locate his two or three strongest cases.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jan '21 13:423 edits
    Jesus Says Salvation Initiates And Continues By Repentance From Sin and Obedience Besides Faith; Paul Says This is Heresy.

This is totally inept.
    Prove that Paul teaches there is NO LONGER any occasion for a saved person to repent of exposed sins after first coming to Christ.

As the saved man grows in light, conscience, and sensitivity, his need for deeper confession and repentance also grow. It doesn't mean the gift of eternal redemption is revoked or the "loan" of eternal life is taken back by God.

Once one receives the gift of eternal life once and for all for the daily walk surely repentance is needed as more light from God enlightens.

For example:
    Paul recommended that a certain Christian be removed from the church life in Corinth because of his immorality. Then in the second letter to the Corinthians he acknowledged the backslider's repentance. Paul encouraged the Corinthians to receive him back into fellowship and re-affirm their love for him.

Where is Paul saying it was heresy for the brother to repent after being saved?

Your example is at best ignorant. At worst it is dishonest, sensational, click bait for Internet infidels.
  7. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Jan '21 15:09
    @sonship said
    This is a lot of time consuming work.

I asked Ghost for his strongest two or three.
    So Ghost, which are the two or three strongest ones?

Rather than field the whole group of objections I ask him to locate his two or three strongest cases.
    Let's start with:

8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jan '21 17:444 edits
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Let's start with:

Okay.
    Before I comment on this I will write out what I think are the relevant passages.

The only place Christ speaks of food sacrificed to idols is Revelation where Christ in His post resurrection appearance in exaltation and glorification tells John what to write to the seven churches.

I take it then that you acknowledge Christ is actually speaking here in resurrection? If so that is very good. You hold that this IS Jesus Christ speaking AFTER His crucifixion.

To the church in Pergamos (Rev. 2:14)

"But I have a few things against you, because you have some there who hold the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to put a stumbling block before the sons of Israel, to eat idol sacrifices and to commit fornication."

To the church in Thyatira (Rev. 2:20)

"But I have this against you, that you tolerate the woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, and she teaches and leads My slaves astray to commit fornication and to eat idol sacrifices."

Paul writes on eating food sacrificed to idols (1 Cor. 8:8-13)

"But food will not commend us to God; neither if we do not eat are we lacking, nor if we do we excel. But beware lest somehow this right of yours becomes a stumbling block to the weak ones.

For if anyone sees you who have knowledge reclining at table in an idol's temple, will not his conscience, he being weak, be emboldened to eat the things sacrificed to the idols? For the one who is weak is being destroyed by your knowledge, the brother because of whom Christ died.

And this, sinning against the brothers and wounding their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. Wherefore if food stumbles my brother, I will by no means eat meat forever, that I may not stumble my brother."

I will come back latter with further comment.
  9. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Jan '21 17:48
    @sonship said
    Okay.
    Before I comment on this I will write out what I think are the relevant passages.

The only place Christ speaks of food sacrificed to idols is Revelation where Christ in His post resurrection appearance in exaltation and glorification tells John what to write to the seven churches.

I take it then that you acknowledge Christ is actually speaking here in re ...[text shortened]... t forever, that I may not stumble my brother." [/b]

I will come back latter with further comment.
    Great, as you haven't started to address the contradiction. (Merely present it).
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jan '21 17:52
    More in chapter 8 of Paul on idol sacrifices as food:

"Concerning therefore the eating of things sacrificed to idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is no God but one. For even if there are so-called gods either in heaven or on earth, even as there are many gods and many lords,

Yet to us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we unto Him; and one lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and we through Him.

But there is not in all this knowledge; but some being accustomed to the idol until now, eat it as an idol sacrifice, and their conscience being weak is defiled." (1 Cor. 8:4-7)
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jan '21 17:531 edit
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke
    Great, as you haven't started to address the contradiction. (Merely present it).

That's right. I have not yet answered your alleged contradiction yet.
    And you can wait patiently while I study it.

It can't hurt anyone to read the passages. On the contrary it will help.
  12. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Jan '21 18:04
    @sonship said
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

That's right. I have not yet answered your alleged contradiction yet.
    And you can wait patiently while I study it.

It can't hurt anyone to read the passages. On the contrary it will help.
    That's fine.

Lucky I didn't give you three.
  13. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Jan '21 18:12
    Next up:

Paul teaches we are eternally secure, but Jesus teaches insecurity to a sinning believer.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jan '21 21:341 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jan '21 21:371 edit

The simplicity with which this comparison is made is deceptive. One only superficially knowing the Bible might imagine that Jesus and Paul each added an eleventh commandment to the ten;

Ie. Jesus' commandment is "You shalt not eat meat sacrificed to idols" but Paul's the exact opposite - "You shall eat meat sacrificed to idols". The simplicity is designed to offer a maximum scandalous contradiction.

But after some prayer and study the scandalous "contradiction" is not really there.

Paul's treatment of this is roughly cautioning the Christians that for love's sake they should not JUST think of their own liberty. They should consider how their exercise of Christian liberty might effect the fellow believer whose conscience is very sensitive because they are YOUNG in Lord.

Christ said all foods clean nullifying the Levitical holy diet.
    "Because it [food] does not enter into his heart, but into the stomach, and goes out into the drain, making all foods clean? And He said. that which goes out of a man, that defiles a man." (Mark. 7:19,20)

Christ "making all foods clean" underplayed the holy physical diet going into the physical stomach in favor of the things which come out of the psychological heart as the defiling things.

The Apostle Paul picks up the same teaching but as we will see BOTH Christ and His apostle have a caveat in lieu of the Devil's ever present subtlety to use liberty as a sneaky weapon to damage the people of God.

First, Paul agrees with the liberty Jesus taught:
    "I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean."
    Romans 14:14, KJV

Like this Jesus told His disciples to eat whatever was put before them.
    "And into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you:"
    Luke 10:8, KJV

This establishes that both Christ and His apostle taught this liberty in eating.
    Now both also were not naïve that Satan the sneaky evil spirit can use liberty to conceal his plot to damage God's people.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree