1. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 03:181 edit
    I don't think it's possible for someone to change who they truly are just to satisfy what Jesus may want.

Paul said it best, when he said he cannot do what he wants to do.

This quote rings true:

"To thine own self be true".
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 03:24
    @chaney3 said
    I don't think it's possible for someone to change who they truly are just to satisfy what Jesus may want.

This quote rings true:

Reminds me of Clockwork Orange.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 03:25
    @chaney3 said

This quote rings true:

I disagree. Faith can be a very powerful force in one's life. I've met plenty of people whose lives - and the ways they lived them - were transformed by their Christian beliefs.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 03:28
    @fmf said
    I disagree. Faith can be a very powerful force in one's life. I've met plenty of people whose lives - and the ways they lived them - were transformed by their Christian beliefs.
    Until faith crumbles.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 03:33
    @chaney3 said
    Until faith crumbles.
    I know plenty of Christians who have not - and probably will not - lose their faith, and not lose the effect it has on them. I know ex-Christians who still live their lives according to Christian principles. Your OP may well apply to you, but I think it is a sweeping generalisation that doesn't seem particularly valid.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 03:34
    @fmf said
    I know plenty of Christians who have not - and probably will not - lose their faith, and not lose the effect it has on them. I know ex-Christians who still live their lives according to Christian principles. Your OP may well apply to you, but I think it is a sweeping generalisation that doesn't seem particularly valid.
    You lost your faith.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 03:38
    @chaney3 said
    You lost your faith.
    Indeed I did. But that doesn't make your OP right. Nor does it make my observation wrong.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 03:42
    @fmf said
    Indeed I did. But that doesn't make your OP right. Nor does it make my observation wrong.
    My point is that people cannot change who they are.

Even with 'threats' from the bible
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 03:46
    @chaney3 said

Some people can be changed by threats, certainly. And I have seen ample evidence of people being changed by their religious faith, and not just Christianity. The sweeping assertion that "people cannot change who they are" ~ in terms of their beliefs and their behaviour ~ simply is not true.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 07:39
    @chaney3 said

Why not? I am a very different today to the person I was at 18 years of age.

I have made a conscious effort over the years to try to make better decisions and instil in myself improved attitudes and develop better habits.

I’ve been a Christian for over 30 years and the point at which I became a Christian represents a massive turning point in my life and I will today still publicly acknowledge the intervention, impact and new trajectory on my life of Jesus Christ.

It is what I believe, it is an outward representation of my inner faith and no matter what other behaviours I may exhibit, here or elsewhere, my faith is genuine.
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 08:48
    @chaney3 said

This quote rings true:

Don't think. Do.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 12:22
    @chaney3

This quote rings true:

Yes chaney, in Romans 7 he made the case from his own experience that he could not fully do the good he wished, nor fully resist the evil that he did not wish. And he could not change.

Because he could not change he felt self condemned and wretch. That is most of chapter 7. But in chapter 8 He says the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has FREED him.

He knew how to switch on this "law of the Spirit of life".
    He knew how to activate that liberating and life changing power in the life of Jesus who had come to dwell in him.

He does not stay in that wretched condition of self condemnation and failure because he found a STRONGER PERSON - Christ Jesus - could live in him and save him from the body of death.

He learned how to tap into this stronger Person with a stronger law of the Spirit of [divine] life. And he found liberation and transformation.

That is Romans 8.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Aug '19 12:27
    @sonship said
    @chaney3

This quote rings true:

Yes chaney, in Romans 7 he made the case from his own experience that he could not fully do the good he ...[text shortened]... irit of [divine] life[/b]. And he found liberation and transformation.

That is Romans 8.
    Hallelujah.

What Chaney3 doesn't understand is the profound power of change, of transformation, that Jesus brings in being reborn of the Spirit. Those who make light of it have not experienced it for themselves.
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    13 Aug '19 22:47
    @fmf said
    Great comment.....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree