1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Aug '20 19:41
    @petewxyz said
    When I was a student we used to go over to a pub with an Elvis Impersonator. I would never have seen that coming when I was a kid but those nights were immense. Basically we just got off our faces and threw ourselves at it, but it was sound stuff. I had a secretary who was an Elvis fan so when she retired we went to an Elvis Impersonator for her as well at the Adelphi in Liv ...[text shortened]... clinic where the team was based. That seemed important, a remembered story in the life of the team.
    I also went once to see an Elvis impersonator, but I got there too late. Apparently, he had left the building.

😴
  2. S. Korea
    Moves
    19 Aug '20 00:54
    @petewxyz said
    I am a big believer in the idea that it is important to identify the places where you will thrive by understanding and seeking the settings that match what you were rehearsing for. It's not about trying to be 'normal' it's about identifying where your journey would naturally take you. I remember thinking that a medical school was like a giant sorting house as people were mat ...[text shortened]... er like soul music and hate rock music or vice versa. It's a long time ago but it felt like a truth!
    The sorting house analogy is good.

Indeed, in a sense, University (and to a lesser degree high school) are meant to function as sorting houses as people discover the sort of field they could thrive in and what sort of work they are honestly pursuing.

I am honestly grateful for some of the bad experiences taht I had because, in retrospect, I realize that they taught me what I really wanted to do, and the sort of people I really wanted to be around.

I think... the difficult part is understanding the fine line between something we really shouldn't be doing and something that's just really hard and we need to apply ourselves more in.

For instance, writing a novel isn't easy -- but there are a great deal many passionate writers, many of whom post on forums like this and who are among us now, who just never have organized themselves enough or gotten the discipline to put it into the form of a novel...

I forget who said it, but a famous writer had even said that every human has one good novel in them.

I think... novel writing is so difficult, much like, say, playing guitar truly well, that there is required a lot of effort on the part of the person, and they shouldn't give up.

But yes... I totally see how some people try to force the square peg into the round hole their whole lives and it results in major difficulties. You see that very frequently, particularly among people who want to earn the big bucks.
  3. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    19 Aug '20 10:08
    @philokalia said
    The sorting house analogy is good.

Indeed, in a sense, University (and to a lesser degree high school) are meant to function as sorting houses as people discover the sort of field they could thrive in and what sort of work they are honestly pursuing.

I am honestly grateful for some of the bad experiences taht I had because, in retrospect, I realize that they taught ...[text shortened]... ties. You see that very frequently, particularly among people who want to earn the big bucks.
    Completely agree. Understanding your journey definitely involves teasing out the midpoint between 'always work through the pain' and 'listen to the pain when it's telling you this does not fit with you'. No pain no gain does not mean that all pain will result in gain. Maybe music and breathing contributes to acquiring the right state of mind for the necessary level of calm reflection, but maybe sometimes it allows a break from reflection and an opportunity to just be.
  4. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    29 Aug '20 19:26
    "Music is the pleasure the human mind experiences from counting without being aware that it is counting."

Gottfried Leibniz
  5. S. Korea
    Moves
    30 Aug '20 23:44
    @soothfast said
    "Music is the pleasure the human mind experiences from counting without being aware that it is counting."

Gottfried Leibniz
    After I read this, my mind immediately started going...

... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8...
    ... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8....

with the beat to the song I was listening to.

I think this is definitely an element to it.

Thus it might explain why you could potentially find certain patterns in the music that people like which may go beyond just the style, and may include why someone who likes black metal might be able to transition easily into liking hardcore techno.

Very interesting.
  6. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    06 Sep '20 14:28
    Chord Change Occurs in 639-Year Piece of Music

https://www.newser.com/story/295843/chord-change-occurs-in-639-year-piece-of-music.html

when i read this i was clueless as to the whole story
    now i find it fascinating
    rather than me trying to explain, i recommend the article

it's worth yer time
  7. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    06 Sep '20 19:52
    @rookie54 said
    Chord Change Occurs in 639-Year Piece of Music

https://www.newser.com/story/295843/chord-change-occurs-in-639-year-piece-of-music.html

when i read this i was clueless as to the whole story
    now i find it fascinating
    rather than me trying to explain, i recommend the article

it's worth yer time
    Aliens think factories are musical instruments. The people arriving and leaving are the rhythm of the tune (or words to that effect). David Byrne, Talking Heads.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree