1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Nov '20 17:10
    Biblical faith is the result of hearing the word of God, understanding it, and believing it:

Romans 10:17 KJB
    17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Faith is NOT a work:

Romans 4:4-5 KJB
    4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
    5 But to him that 👉worketh not👈, BUT BELIEVETH on him that justifieth the ungodly, his FAITH is counted for righteousness.

Ephesians 2:8-9 KJB
    8 For by grace are ye saved THROUGH FAITH; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    9 NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.

The Lord Jesus Christ did ALL the work that God required to freely justify the ungodly by grace through faith in the Gospel of Christ. (Rom 1:16, Rom 3:23-24, 1 Cor 15:1-4)

Grace ✝️
    Madelein Wilkinson
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    22 Nov '20 18:14
    @dj2becker said
    Biblical faith is the result of hearing the word of God, understanding it, and believing it:

Faith is NOT a work:

Romans 4:4-5 KJB
    4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
    5 But to him that 👉worketh not👈, BUT BELIEVETH on him that justifieth t ...[text shortened]... aith in the Gospel of Christ. (Rom 1:16, Rom 3:23-24, 1 Cor 15:1-4)

Grace ✝️
    Madelein Wilkinson
    Never heard anyone claiming that Faith is a Work.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Nov '20 22:26
    @dj2becker said

Agreed. And an important principle.

I would say that your use of “understanding” is superfluous and “believing” extraneous in that it is the faith itself which believes, or at least enables belief.

A good scripture.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    22 Nov '20 22:52
    @divegeester said

I would say that your use of “understanding” is superfluous and “believing” extraneous in that it is the faith itself which believes, or at least enables belief.

A good scripture.
    The opening post is actually a gross over simplification of the true gospel of Christ, as it omits some critical principles that Jesus explained. Take the parable of the sower, for example:

Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away. And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection. But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience. (Luke 8:11-15 KJV)

Jesus identified 4 groups of people
    1. Hearers of the Word
    2. Hearers of the Word, believed and had faith for a while, then fall away
    3. Hearers and believers but bear no fruit
    4. Hear, believe / faith, keep the word of God, ie obey and bear fruit.

All 4 groups heard the word but only the last group that heard, believed, and KEPT / OBEYED, and bore fruit are the ones who are acceptable. The rest of people are to be condemned.
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    23 Nov '20 04:22
    @divegeester said

A good scripture.
    Hebrews 12:2

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

The author and perfecter of faith is certainly not the individual in possession of said faith. Intriguing concept.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    23 Nov '20 04:38
    @rajk999 said
    The opening post is actually a gross over simplification of the true gospel of Christ, as it omits some critical principles that Jesus explained. Take the parable of the sower, for example:

[i]Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should ...[text shortened]... PT / OBEYED, and bore fruit are the ones who are acceptable. The rest of people are to be condemned.
    Do you think an individual can ‘keep the faith’ on their own accord?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '20 08:28
    @rajk999 said
    Never heard anyone claiming that Faith is a Work.
    Sonship frequently claimed that proclaiming his faith [and claiming that he was already "saved" regardless of whether or not he "sinned" or obeyed Jesus's commandments] constituted "good works" and that he might get a more senior position in "heaven" as a result of his "good works" here at RHP.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Nov '20 09:48
    @fmf said
    Sonship frequently claimed that proclaiming his faith [and claiming that he was already "saved" regardless of whether or not he "sinned" or obeyed Jesus's commandments] constituted "good works" and that he might get a more senior position in "heaven" as a result of his "good works" here at RHP.
    Yes, you are right.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Nov '20 09:521 edit
    @dj2becker said
    Do you think an individual can ‘keep the faith’ on their own accord?
    Dont know, dont care. That is an irrelevant nonsense question. Jesus was clear that only Group 4 people are acceptable, [and Jesus did clearly spell out why some people do not have faith]. The rest is chaff and rubble.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Nov '20 09:58
    @rajk999 said
    The opening post is actually a gross over simplification of the true gospel of Christ, as it omits some critical principles that Jesus explained.
    I don’t think it was meant to be a representation of the Gospel of Christ. I like the scripture.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Nov '20 10:20
    @divegeester said
    I don’t think it was meant to be a representation of the Gospel of Christ. I like the scripture.
    I know you like it. You and every other Christian have quoted it a dozen times, conveniently omitting the part where Paul says what needs to be done by the follower after they profess their faith., otherwise there is no inheritance in the Kingdom of God. Jesus and all the Apostles said what needs to be done otherwise faith alone is dead and worthless.
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    23 Nov '20 10:24
    @rajk999 said
    I know you like it. You and every other Christian have quoted it a dozen times, conveniently omitting the part where Paul says what needs to be done by the follower after they profess their faith., otherwise there is no inheritance in the Kingdom of God. Jesus and all the Apostles said what needs to be done otherwise faith alone is dead and worthless.
    ‘Therefore I no longer live but Christ lives in me.’ Does this ring a bell? How can you take credit for the good works done by Christ?
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Nov '20 10:54
    @dj2becker said
    ‘Therefore I no longer live but Christ lives in me.’ Does this ring a bell? How can you take credit for the good works done by Christ?
    I said nothing about credit but you appear obsessed with who gets credit and who does not. I notice you are completely ignoring the teachings of Christ. Why do professed Christians continue to blatantly deny what Jesus preached? How do you expect to get eternal life in the Kingdom of God without Christ?

You have Christ on your lips but not in your heart. Go fix that.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Nov '20 11:15
    @rajk999 said
    I know you like it. You and every other Christian have quoted it a dozen times
    I’ve never quoted, not once.

And I don’t accept your argumentum ad populum as any indication of the scripture’s efficacy.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Nov '20 11:16
    @rajk999 said
    Jesus and all the Apostles said what needs to be done otherwise faith alone is dead and worthless.
    It’s a good job I do that then.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree