1. PenTesting
    Moves
    13 Aug '19 13:051 edit
    @secondson said
    Hebrews 11:6
    But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Works alone without faith = nothing.

Ephesians 2:8,9
    For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    Not of works, lest any man should boast.

By grace through faith without works = Salvation

But Rajk has a lot to boast about doesn't he?
    Jesus said none of that. He did say the contrary to faithful "Lord Lord" Christians.... "..depart from me. "

To those who did good works Jesus welcomed them into the kingdom of God. Those fairhful who protested " Lord, when did we see you hungry ... " ... He cast them out.
  2. S. Korea
    Moves
    13 Aug '19 21:46
    @rajk999 said
    Wrong. Show me where the Bible says this Good works and righteousness naturally come from the faith, . .

If this were the case then Jesus would have said it, He did not.
    Paul would have said it. He did not. Instead Paul warned these very same born again Christian Saints [clearly of faith] there there is no inheritance int he Kingdom of God unless they do good wo ...[text shortened]... the faith, sure. [/i], is a lie and and it is the core of the false teachings in Christian churches.
    You really are unfamiliar with the concept that God gives us grace after we have faith in Him, and really have a weird take on the Bible that has all been produced by thinking back from the conclusion that we must have good works only and that atheists can be saved.

The sins we once committed without thought now bring conviction. To know God is to see sin the way He sees it. First John 3:9 says, “No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.” Instead of sin, the born-again Christian produces “fruit in keeping with repentance” (Matthew 3:8). Salvation enables us to live “in the Spirit” and so truly perform good works (Galatians 5:16).

Ephesians 2:10 says, “For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” God’s goal in saving us was not only to rescue us from hell, but also that we would reflect His character and goodness to the world. God delights to see us becoming more like His Son (Romans 8:29). We were created in God’s image. Sin marred that image. When God bought us back for Himself, it was to restore His image in us and free us to become all we were created to be. When the Holy Spirit comes to live inside us, He prompts us to do things that glorify God (John 14:26). Our desire to please God grows as our understanding of Him grows. That desire to please God results in good works.

It is biblically inconsistent to say that someone has been saved but has not changed. Many people go through the outward motions of giving their lives to Christ, but no lifestyle change follows. That is not real salvation but is a “dead” faith (James 2:26).

Check it out

https://www.gotquestions.org/good-works-salvation.html

It's a big topic and way too basic for me to spend thirty minutes of my time finding these passages by myself and elucidating them to you.

We aren't in uncharted territory by any stretch of the imagination so I just grabbed the article to explain this concept to you.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    13 Aug '19 23:04
    @philokalia said
    You really are unfamiliar with the concept that God gives us grace after we have faith in Him, and really have a weird take on the Bible that has all been produced by thinking back from the conclusion that we must have good works only and that atheists can be saved.

[quote] The sins we once committed without thought now bring conviction. To know God is to see sin the wa ...[text shortened]... tory by any stretch of the imagination so I just grabbed the article to explain this concept to you.
    I am very familiar with the whole bible.
    Your interpenetration of what saved by grace means is wrong.

You failed to answer my question with the accucastion that I dont understand your doctrine. Pathetic
  4. S. Korea
    Moves
    13 Aug '19 23:20
    @rajk999 said
    I am very familiar with the whole bible.
    Your interpenetration of what saved by grace means is wrong.

You failed to answer my question with the accucastion that I dont understand your doctrine. Pathetic
    You don't understand the doctrine if you present such a flimsy argument that works do not have their root in faith.

But tell me, why is it that works alone can save?
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    13 Aug '19 23:49
    @philokalia said
    You don't understand the doctrine if you present such a flimsy argument that works do not have their root in faith.

But tell me, why is it that works alone can save?
    The flimsy argument is yours. If Jesus Christ did not say something and obviously he did not say that works have their root in faith, then the onus is on you to prove it. The writings of Paul cannot override the teachings of Christ.

I never say works can save. Jesus SAVES those who do good works.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 00:10
    @philokalia said
    Good works and righteousness naturally come from the faith, sure.
    Does "good works and righteousness naturally come from the faith" mean that a Christian must obey Christ's commandments and do good works?
  7. S. Korea
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 00:21
    @rajk999 said
    The flimsy argument is yours. If Jesus Christ did not say something and obviously he did not say that works have their root in faith, then the onus is on you to prove it. The writings of Paul cannot override the teachings of Christ.

I never say works can save. Jesus SAVES those who do good works.
    Christ said to the thief on the cross (the Good Thief) that he will be saved and with Him in the Kingdom of Heaven:

Luke 23 (KJV)

and Latin, and Hebrew, THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

39And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.

40But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?

41And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.

42And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

43And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

What works did the Good Thief have? None that we know of, yet he was ensured salvation through his faith.

Here is also the concept that Faith is an incredible part of taking any good action:

Luke 7 (KJV)

44And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head.

45Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet.

46My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment.

47Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.

48And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven.

49And they that sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also?

50And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

Right there, Christ says they faith hath saved thee.

What also of this incredible passage?

Matthew 8 (KJV)

5And when Jesus was entered into Capernaum, there came unto him a centurion, beseeching him,

6And saying, Lord, my servant lieth at home sick of the palsy, grievously tormented.

7And Jesus saith unto him, I will come and heal him.

8The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed.

9For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it.

10When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.

11And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.

12But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

13And Jesus said unto the centurion, Go thy way; and as thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee. And his servant was healed in the selfsame hour.

In this case, the Centurion's faith alone in Christ provided Christ with the reason to heal his servant, and Christ marveled at the faith of this gentile, who had greater faith than can be found in Israel.

You could connect here, again, the importance of faith, and how it is on the basis of Faith in God that one can receive such amazing blessings. Of course, the Centurion did not heal his servant himself, but Christ healed his servant for him because of his faith.
  8. S. Korea
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 00:24
    I will also point this out:

Anyone who says that St. Paul is "overriding" the teachings of Christ has zero understanding of Christianity.

The Bible was given to us by the Church and the Saints. If we have a Christian who actively denies the honesty of the Church and the Saints, how can we even take the words that are in the Gospel as accurate and good?

Anyone who wants to brush aside St. Paul and the Church for their own interpretations has no leg to stand on, but is working very hard against the very people that brought us the Gospel.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 00:25
    @philokalia said
    Anyone who wants to brush aside St. Paul and the Church for their own interpretations has no leg to stand on, but is working very hard against the very people that brought us the Gospel.
    "No leg to stand on" in terms of what or whom?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 07:27
    @divegeester said
    What is “proper faith”? What is “proper belief”? Why is it “vital to salvation” ? In what way?

What on earth are you on about?
    Philokalia?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree