1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 02:10
    I recently asked a high volume Christian poster here if, as he was clearly suggesting, "Satan was behind" all the Bibles there have ever been for the last 1,000+ years except for one version: the New World Translation.

And his answer was "yes".

No Christian challenged him on this at that time, as far as I know.

One question is [although there are undoubtedly other questions about this too]:

Which is more "divisive":

A poster asserting that "Satan was behind" all the Bible translations that Christians in this community [except him] use?

Or a poster drawing attention to the fact that this assertion had been made and had seemingly not gone unnoticed any Christians?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 03:29
    @fmf said
    Or a poster drawing attention to the fact that this assertion had been made and had seemingly not gone unnoticed any Christians?
    ...and had seemingly gone unnoticed by any Christians.

Fixed.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 03:31
    @fmf said

Fixed.
    We cannot trust the council of nicea.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 03:36
    @chaney3 said
    We cannot trust the council of nicea.
    Unless you believe "Satan was behind" it, I don't see how your personal opinion about Nicea is relevant to the OP.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 03:39
    @fmf said
    Unless you believe "Satan was behind" it, I don't see how your personal opinion about Nicea is relevant to the OP.
    My post is very relevant.

Our "bible" was conceived at Nicea.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 03:51
    @chaney3 said
    My post is very relevant.

Our "bible" was conceived at Nicea.
    The thread topic is [my query about] the Christian reaction to the assertion that "Satan was behind" all the Bible translations there have ever been published except the NWT. The canon presented in the NWT is derived from Nicea too.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 05:13
    @fmf said

Fixed.
    Yeah I missed that.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 05:29
    @divegeester said
    Yeah I missed that.
    It's always nice to see this bromance.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 07:32
    @chaney3 said
    It's always nice to see this bromance.
    FMF is a long-time friend of mine. He identifies an agnostic atheist and I identify as a Christian. Although we live on different continents, have differing political views and different employment and social constructs we have found that it is possible to still have much in common in terms of shared values and outlook on life generally.

Is there anyone here whom you have a similar relationship with?
  10. S. Korea
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 09:49
    @fmf said
    I recently asked a high volume Christian poster here if, as he was clearly suggesting, "Satan was behind" all the Bibles there have ever been for the last 1,000+ years except for one version: the New World Translation.

One question is [although there are undoubtedly other que ...[text shortened]... n to the fact that this assertion had been made and had seemingly not gone unnoticed any Christians?
    It would be right to say that Satan is the author of heresy from an occasionalist perspective so I do not see a massive issue.

Of course, I don't agree with him on these things, but there's a logic to it that I understand.

It's like asking me if I would be mad and attack a devout Hindu who believes I'm wrong for eating beef when the Hindu in question is merely stating a sincere belief that is accurate within his own world view.

.... What is more divisive is kind of a silly question here because no one should be concerned with that.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 11:17
    @philokalia said
    It would be right to say that Satan is the author of heresy from an occasionalist perspective so I do not see a massive issue.

Of course, I don't agree with him on these things, but there's a logic to it that I understand.

It's like asking me if I would be mad and attack a devout Hindu who believes I'm wrong for eating beef when the Hindu in question is merely stat ...[text shortened]... What is more divisive is kind of a silly question here because no one should be concerned with that.
    What is your definition of heresy?
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 11:321 edit
    @fmf said

One question is [although there are undoubtedly other que ...[text shortened]... n to the fact that this assertion had been made and had seemingly not gone unnoticed any Christians?
    One of the defining characteristics of a cult is the compulsion to produce their own translations and the condemnation all others. Sonship and galveston are in the same boat. The nice thing is that in all these translations God has ensured that the words, teachings and commandments of His Son Jesus Christ, remain untouched. What is required for eternal life in the Kingdom of God is clear, unchanged by human error. There is going to be no acceptable excuse for not following the commandments of Christ on judgment day.... So translate away.
  13. S. Korea
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 11:53
    @rajk999 said
    What is your definition of heresy?
    To begin with, anything that is against the Nicene creed. Though, after that, we could get into other unorthodox interpretations as examples of things that are heretical.

I am not really qualified but there are things specifically stated to be wrong.

The denial of hell, or the trinity, are prime examples.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 12:061 edit
    @philokalia said

.... What is more divisive is kind of a silly question here because no one should be concerned with that.
    You are saying that FMF asking the question in his OP is “more divisive” than Satan influencing heresy?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 12:40
    @philokalia said

It's like asking me if I would be mad and attack a devout Hindu who believes I'm wrong for eating beef when the Hindu in question is merely stat ...[text shortened]... What is more divisive is kind of a silly question here because no one should be concerned with that.
    In what way is the question "silly"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree