1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 03:56
    Do Christians here believe that the philosophical stance or state [as it were] of 'not believing that Jesus physically rose from the dead' is literally a symptom and result of supernatural influence ~ or more specifically, Satanic influence?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 04:27
    @fmf said
    Do Christians here believe that the philosophical stance or state [as it were] of 'not believing that Jesus physically rose from the dead' is literally a symptom and result of supernatural influence ~ or more specifically, Satanic influence?
    No.

Well, at least I don't.

I'm not gonna speak for anyone else. There's at least a non-negative chance that someone here might believe that.
  3. S. Korea
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 06:48
    @fmf said
    It's a hopelessly wrong question.

Of course, there are Satanic influences that affect people.

However, to say that disbelief is solely a result of Satanic influence denies the role of other factors in this.

There's a variety of factors. Satan, of course, can and often is one of them.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 06:52
    @philokalia said
    However, to say that disbelief is solely a result of Satanic influence denies the role of other factors in this.
    I didn't use the word "solely". But I see what you did there.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 06:53
    @philokalia said
    There's a variety of factors. Satan, of course, can and often is one of them.
    So it "is"? Just to be clear?

Can someone not believe that Jesus physically rose from the dead and not be, in your view, any Satanic influence involved?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 06:541 edit
    @philokalia said
    Of course, there are Satanic influences that affect people.
    You sound quite authoritative on this matter. Other than Satan and satanic forces affecting some people’s ability to believe in a physical resurrection, what other aspects of faith do you think can be affected by Satan...fornication, I.e. sex outside of marriage? For example.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 07:07
    I see what you did there.
  8. S. Korea
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 08:22
    @fmf said
    I didn't use the word "solely". But I see what you did there.
    Ya shoulda waffled a bit.

What can I say.

More words and more writing make the intention and the question clear.
  9. S. Korea
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 08:26
    @fmf said
    So it "is"? Just to be clear?

Can someone not believe that Jesus physically rose from the dead and not be, in your view, any Satanic influence involved?
    Of course.

The overwhelming majority of people in the world do not believe in the resurrection for very mundane reasons...

But let's say there was an argument that Satan encouraged the spread of Communism, and that Communism preventing Christianity from penetrating a person's society or family can be traced back to Communism... Well, that's an interesting argument. IDK. It's unproveable and entirely "out" in the theoretical land.

But I can see someone say something like that.

But this is an argument that would then be based on the interconnectivity of a great many events, all of which can be influenced by God and also by evil spirits... Your typical occasionalism.

I'll discuss what that means with an occasionalist, but even this is speculative if we are not relying on the words of the Saints, so IDK. Why not just content oneself with what is obvious in the world for now, and know that such an influence could be at work, but the overwhelming majority of people simply do not believe in Christ's resurrection because they are not Christians and have not had the occasion to be Christians or to learn of it.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 08:27
    @philokalia said
    More words and more writing make the intention and the question clear.
    My question is crystal clear largely due to its succinctness.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 08:29
    @philokalia said
    The overwhelming majority of people in the world do not believe in the resurrection for very mundane reasons...
    Why would it be morally coherent for them to punished for eternity after they die?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 08:33
    @philokalia said
    Of course.
    OK, so far we have...

Suzianne and Philokalia

...who do think that if someone does not believe that Jesus physically rose from the dead then that it is not necessarily due to Satanic influence.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 08:38
    @suzianne said
    No.

Well, at least I don't.

I'm not gonna speak for anyone else. There's at least a non-negative chance that someone here might believe that.
    You've read thousands of my posts so you know what I believe and what I don't believe.

I do not believe that Jesus physically rose from the dead. In my case, of course, there is the added fact that I used to believe that He did.

Do you believe in a case like mine that me not believing that Jesus physically rose from the dead is the result of Satanic influence?

Philokalia, you can answer this too if you're inclined.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 08:39
    @philokalia said
    the overwhelming majority of people simply do not believe in Christ's resurrection because they are not Christians and have not had the occasion to be Christians or to learn of it.
    What are they guilty of then?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 08:50
    @philokalia said
    But let's say there was an argument that Satan encouraged the spread of Communism, and that Communism preventing Christianity from penetrating a person's society or family can be traced back to Communism... Well, that's an interesting argument. IDK. It's unproveable and entirely "out" in the theoretical land.

But I can see someone say something like that.

But this is an argument that would then be based on the interconnectivity of a great many events, all of which can be influenced by God and also by evil spirits... Your typical occasionalism.

I'll discuss what that means with an occasionalist, but even this is speculative if we are not relying on the words of the Saints, so IDK. Why not just content oneself with what is obvious in the world for now, and know that such an influence could be at work, but the overwhelming majority of people simply do not believe in Christ's resurrection because they are not Christians and have not had the occasion to be Christians or to learn of it.

I see what you did there.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree