1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '22 02:05
    In your view, if the attack on Salman Rushdie is what God wanted, is it righteous?
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    14 Aug '22 10:47
    @fmf said
    In your view, if the attack on Salman Rushdie is what God wanted, is it righteous?
    IMHO - There is no way of knowing if the attack on Salman Rushdie is what God wanted or not, because of this, the question of its righteousness cannot be determined.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '22 11:06
    @mchill said
    IMHO - There is no way of knowing if the attack on Salman Rushdie is what God wanted or not, because of this, the question of its righteousness cannot be determined.
    If the attacker believed he was simply carrying out his God figure's will, was the man's motive pure
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    14 Aug '22 12:00
    @fmf said
    If the attacker believed he was simply carrying out his God figure's will, was the man's motive pure
    I doubt it. There are very few circumstances in either the Quran or the Bible that suggests attacking or killing another was to be considered an act of carrying out God will, and many that advocate God should be the judge, jury and (if necessary) executioner.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '22 12:10
    @mchill said
    I doubt it. There are very few circumstances in either the Quran or the Bible that suggests attacking or killing another was to be considered an act of carrying out God will, and many that advocate God should be the judge, jury and (if necessary) executioner.
    There are very few circumstances in [...] the Quran [...] that suggest attacking or killing another was to be considered an act of carrying out God will.

Gosh. You reckon?
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    14 Aug '22 16:07
    @fmf said
    There are very few circumstances in [...] the Quran [...] that suggest attacking or killing another was to be considered an act of carrying out God will.

Gosh. You reckon?
    Abraham and Isaac, for example. But that was to test Abraham’s faith, not get Isaac killed. I doubt that the assailant in Rushdie’s case was being tested by God.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Aug '22 23:11
    @mchill said
    KellyJay believes it is God’s will for the state to execute people for certain crimes.
  8. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    18 Aug '22 00:55
    @divegeester said
    KellyJay believes it is God’s will for the state to execute people for certain crimes.
    Do you believe that you are one of God's tests for the rest of us?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Aug '22 19:54
    @kevin-eleven said
    You seem upset in this thread too.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Aug '22 06:43
    @kevin-eleven said
    I believe my presence here gives you your daily boner.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Aug '22 16:27
    @mchill said
    Are you serious?

I don't know about the Quran, but the Bible is chock full of righteous murders in God's name and for God's will.
  12. S. Korea
    Moves
    15 Sep '22 02:46
    @fmf said
    While bad things do occur due to the free will of men being exercised in a sinful and improper way, the contention would be that these things can still be a means of repentance for the people involved, and anything which can be used to learn and grow is not without benefit.

I understand that some people would find this radical - some people want to literally "Oh no, bad thing. Guess <everything is ruined> and <there's no lesson here for anyone.>" But, nah, I think every instance, even ones that went unwitnessed but can be thought of in terms of abstractions or parallels, can serve as a means of repentance and as a means of motivation for better rectification of the self, and better treatment of others.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Sep '22 02:51
    @philokalia said
    While bad things do occur due to the free will of men being exercised in a sinful and improper way, the contention would be that these things can still be a means of repentance for the people involved, and anything which can be used to learn and grow is not without benefit.

I understand that some people would find this radical - some people want to literally "Oh ...[text shortened]... e and as a means of motivation for better rectification of the self, and better treatment of others.
    An answer to the OP question would have been more interesting.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 Sep '22 00:07
    @mchill said
    https://thebiblesays.com/commentary/exod/exod-32/exodus-3225-29/

Exodus 32:25-29

Moses then told the Levites,“Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, ‘Every man of you put his sword upon his thigh, and go back and forth from gate to gate in the camp, and kill every man his brother, and every man his friend, and every man his neighbor.’”

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree