1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    12 Dec '18 17:55
    “Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.” (Luke 5:16)
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Dec '18 17:571 edit
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

No problem with this. I quite agree with a private time with the Lord. Seriously, I fully agree with a personal and private time before God.

You know there is a TIME for every purpose under heaven. A TIME for this way and a TIME for the other way.

A bird cannot fly well with only one wing. It needs two balanced wings to fly,

There is a TIME to get off in solitude - just you and God alone. Absolutely!

And there is a time to come together with others for building UP one another. That's what is in the NT.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Dec '18 21:24
    @Philokalia
    OK, so if much of the content is, in your opinion, non productive, the most logical reaction it's to participate less in such a forum, is it not?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '18 22:39
    @sonship said
    @divegeester
    Define "corporate religion" please.
    You use that expression a few times.
    What is it ?
    DO you avoid "corporate religion" by never gathering with anyone else so that it could be said " I worshipped with this congregation " ?
    Is that how you avoid "corporate religion," with rank individualism ?
    Why should I answer your questions when you refuse to answer mine?
  5. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    12 Dec '18 22:53
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    “Now Moses used to take a tent and pitch it outside the camp some distance away, calling it the ‘tent of meeting’… The LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks with his friend. Then Moses would return to the camp, but his young aide Joshua son of Nun did not leave the tent.”

(Exodus 33:7, 11)
    His young aide Joshua was only about 85 years old.
  6. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    12 Dec '18 22:581 edit
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

I don't get it. Three random posts about solitude and being alone.

What am I missing here? Are you trying to get rid of me?🤣

P.S. I'm trying to take a break, but divegeester won't leave me alone. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  7. S. Korea
    Moves
    13 Dec '18 07:45
    @bigdoggproblem said
    @Philokalia
    OK, so if much of the content is, in your opinion, non productive, the most logical reaction it's to participate less in such a forum, is it not?
    That's right to a degree.

And, indeed, my participation is quite minimal as it stands.
  8. S. Korea
    Moves
    13 Dec '18 07:47
    @fmf said
    The topic of this thread is primarily about how the OP poster got thoroughly rubbed up the wrong way on Thread 179061 and he did not like it one little bit. The title of the thread broadens the topic more generally to cover what we approve and disapprove of with regard to other people's posts.
    Those were just the examples relevant to this post.

It is a topic that is about bad posting styles in general, and you are the main poster in this forum that fits this description, I'm sorry to say.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Dec '18 07:541 edit
    @philokalia said
    That's right to a degree.

And, indeed, my participation is quite minimal as it stands.
    12 pages of posts in the last month is hardly “minimal”, in fact I would suggest that you are one of the dozen or so main contributors to this forum.

I would be able to look back further but a certain poster (no names mentioned) here complained to the administrators about people digging up old posts, so that useful search facility was withdrawn. 🙂
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Dec '18 07:57
    @philokalia said
    Those were just the examples relevant to this post.

It is a topic that is about bad posting styles in general, and you are the main poster in this forum that fits this description, I'm sorry to say.
    My posting style is not bad.
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Dec '18 12:05
    @secondson said
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

I don't get it. Three random posts about solitude and being alone.

What am I missing here? Are you trying to get rid of me?🤣

P.S. I'm trying to take a break, but divegeester won't leave me alone. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Sonship agreed God can have a relationship with someone who is in solitude, but framed this by saying, 'But do we have any consideration for what He wants and not just what is the individual's private needs?' -In other words implying that someone seeking religious solitude is only doing so for their own needs, not God's.

I therefore provided biblical quotes (not random) showing that both Moses and Jesus understood the importance of alone time with God which 'wasn't' just done as a means to satisfy their own needs.
  12. S. Korea
    Moves
    13 Dec '18 12:051 edit
    @divegeester said
    12 pages of posts in the last month is hardly “minimal”, in fact I would suggest that you are one of the dozen or so main contributors to this forum.

I would be able to look back further but a certain poster (no names mentioned) here complained to the administrators about people digging up old posts, so that useful search facility was withdrawn. 🙂
    Why do you think the administration sided with him/her?

Also: the bulk of my posts (so I think) have largely been in the 'Debates' forum, I believe.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Dec '18 12:593 edits
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

Sonship agreed God can have a relationship with someone who is in solitude, but framed this by saying, 'But do we have any consideration for what He wants and not just what is the individual's private needs?' -In other words implying that someone seeking religious solitude is only doing so for their own needs, not God's.

I think your "in other words" is really twisting my words a bit.
    Should I give you the benefit of a doubt?

These things are not easy to talk about if one party is eager to misunderstand.

Our needs are included in what God's plan. So I meant that we well could learn to EXPAND the scope of realizing both His and our needs.

And this not meant to be a legal matter as if some policeman is ready to pounce on you for praying privately. You grow. You learn that you need to be enlarged. If fact more private time may result. But it is balanced with some corporate time to contact God with others.

Please don't be eager to put "in other words" in order to spin my words.

I therefore provided biblical quotes (not random) showing that both Moses and Jesus understood the importance of alone time with God which 'wasn't' just done as a means to satisfy their own needs.

Points excepted. Try not to be eager to misunderstand a Christian's words.
    I will try too not to jump to conclusions about yours as well.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Dec '18 13:07
    'But do we have any consideration for what He wants and not just what is the individual's private needs?' -In other words implying that someone seeking religious solitude is only doing so for their own needs, not God's.

The QUESTION is a QUESTION implying one may examine themselves to see if and when it may be time to expand their practice.

There was no "Thou Shalt Not Pray Alone" implication there.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Dec '18 15:34
    @sonship said

Points excepted. Try not to be eager to misunderstand a Christian's words.
    I will try too not to jump to conclusions about yours as well.
    Not meaning to jump to conclusions, or generate misunderstandings, but did you mean 'accepted' rather than 'excepted?'

It does rather change the whole meaning of your post. (Perhaps fewer misunderstandings would occur if you took a little more care over your wording).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree