1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Jul '21 00:451 edit
    The resurrected Jesus speaks seven times besides in 1:11 for John to write.

"To the messenger of the church in Ephesus WRITE; These things says He who holds the seven stars in His right hand, he who walks in the midst of the seven golden lampstands: (Rev. 2:1)

And to the messenger of the church in Smyrna WRITE: these things says the First and the Last , who became dead and lived again: (2:8)

And to the church in Pergamos WRITE: These things says He who has the sharp two-edged sword: (2:12)

And to the messenger of the church in Thyatira WRITE: These things says the Son of God, He who has eyes like a flame of fire, and His feet are like shining bronze: (2:18)

And to the messenger of the church in Sardis WRITE: These things says He who has the seven Spirits of God and the seven stars: (3:1)

And to the messenger of the church in Philadelphia WRITE: These things says the Holy One, the true One, the One who has the key of David, the One who opens and no one will shut, and shuts and no one opens: (3:7)

And to the messenger of the church in Laodicea WRITE: These things says the Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the beginning if the creation of God: (3:14)

One time Christ's angel conducting John through the visions of Revelation instructs him to not write something that he heard:

"And when the seven thunders spoke, I was about to write, and I heard a voice out of heaven, saying, Seal up the things which the seven thunders spoke, and do not write them." (Rev. 10:4)
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jul '21 06:23
    @moonbus said
    Thanks for that 'confession'. An honest statement from an honest seeker.

Here's why I am not a Christian:

1. Nothing in the Gospels suggests that Jesus thought of himself as founding a new religion, separate from Judaism. When he said 'I am come not to break the law, but to fulfill it,' the law he meant was the Torah, no other. Nor is there any suggestion that Jesus exp ...[text shortened]... r Protestant, and especially the intellectualized posturing (e.g., sonship), is so not Jesus.
    1. Nothing in the Gospels suggests that Jesus thought of himself as founding a new religion, separate from Judaism. When he said 'I am come not to break the law, but to fulfill it,' the law he meant was the Torah, no other. Nor is there any suggestion that Jesus expected his teaching to be carried on in written form. 'Go forth and make disciples of all men,' cannot have meant 'make them believe stuff'; it can only have meant, show them how to live as I do, loving God and my neighbors as myself.

2. Jesus taught no doctrine, no intellectualized claptrap. None. Nada. Nix da. Jesus came to rustics, whores, illiterate peasants, the poor in spirit; he did not expect them to know any doctrines about transubstantiation or the trinity or homoousios or Apostolic Succession or whatever, nor did he teach any such things. He said to love God and love your neighbor as yourself; that's it. The whole edifce of Christianity, whether Catholic or Protestant, and especially the intellectualized posturing (e.g., sonship), is so not Jesus.

Excellent analysis
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    26 Jul '21 06:28
    @fmf said
    1. Nothing in the Gospels suggests that Jesus thought of himself as founding a new religion, separate from Judaism. When he said 'I am come not to break the law, but to fulfill it,' the law he meant was the Torah, no other. Nor is there any suggestion that Jesus expected his teaching to be carried on in written form. 'Go forth and make disciples of all men,' cannot have meant ...[text shortened]... ly the intellectualized posturing (e.g., sonship), is so not Jesus.

Excellent analysis
    One thing perhaps missing is the 'apocalyptic' stuff - about the Kingdom coming.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '21 11:461 edit
    I guess people around here think Jesus believed the Pharisees would find the road to salvation.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Jul '21 13:013 edits
    @BigDogg

One thing perhaps missing is the 'apocalyptic' stuff - about the Kingdom coming.

Have you read Matthew chapter 24? There is much apocalyptic teaching there.
    Jesus is referring to many things spoken in the prophet Daniel.
    Much referral back to Daniel's prophecy on the last days.
    There is also referral to OT prophecies of God defending and regathering the Israelites scattered to the nations in the end of days.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Jul '21 13:024 edits
    And I see no definite command from Jesus to the twelve NOT to write anything.

You can say as easily that He didn't teach them to wear seat belts.
    You can say as easily that He didn't teach them to travel by jeep or mini van.
    You can say He didn't teach them per se to use computers.

It is bogus I think to try to insist that Jesus didn't want anything to be written about Him. He said He would send scribes. Scribes write.

"Serpents! Brood of vipers! How shall you escape the judgment of Gehenna?
    Therefore, behold, I send to you
    prophets
    and wise men
    and SCRIBES.

Some of them you will scourge in your synagogues and persecute from city to city." (Matt. 23:33,34)

Notice that He also expected the ones He sent, furthering His teaching, to be rejected in the synagogues. . That is because those in the synagogues of Judaism would REGARD His teaching with Him as a new religion, and unwanted.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Jul '21 13:342 edits
    Jesus taught no doctrine, no intellectualized claptrap. None. Nada. Nix da. Jesus came to rustics, whores, illiterate peasants, the poor in spirit; he did not expect them to know any doctrines about transubstantiation or the trinity or homoousios or Apostolic Succession or whatever, nor did he teach any such things. He said to love God and love your neighbor as yourself; that's it. The whole edifce of Christianity, whether Catholic or Protestant, and especially the intellectualized posturing (e.g., sonship), is so not Jesus.

You cannot put Jesus into this box you wish to limit Him to.

First, "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of the heavens" (Matt. 5:3) is not LIMITED to financially poor.

I may be poor in spirit though as rich as a tax collector like Matthew (Levi).
    I may be poor in spirit though as respectable in the neighborhood as Nicodemus.
    I may be poor in spirit though as trained in medicine as Luke.
    I may be poor in spirit though as educated as Saul of Tarsus.

Many of the Pharisees did become poor in spirit and become saved, constituting the church in Jerusalem.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Jul '21 13:381 edit
    Poor in spirit I believe means a few things:

Not self satisfied but hungry to receive something from the Spirit of God.
    Not self righteous.
    Not filled up and pre-occupied with self appreciation but realizing one's neediness. And this neediness is not restricted to financial need.

Poor in spirit is hungry and open to allow God to impart something to you.

Poor in spirit is recognizing you would be RICHER with coming to God.
    Poor in spirit is the opposite of feeling you have no need, especially no
    need for God.

The first qualification to become one of the people of the kingdom of the heavens is to be poor in spirit. I think it is akin to what Mary said in her song -

" The hungry He has filled with good things, and the rich He has sent away empty." (Luke 1:53)

Come to Jesus Christ "poor in spirit" and not felling rich in yourself. God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble.

Luke account of the virtually the same message only says "Blessed are the poor" ( Luke 6:20 ) . Matthew has "Blessed are the poor in spirit" (Matt. 5:3)

I think the right attitude is to take all the help you can get from Jesus.
    Poor in spirit - good.
    Poor - that's good too.

Jesus ministered to both throughout the Gospels.
    And He also ministered to those of high respectable standing and those of low respect - teachers and lepers, widows and rich women who became His disciples.

Watch for any revisionism which tries to put Jesus in a box - ie. "He only cared for THESE kinds of folks" as BigDogg seems to want to teach.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    26 Jul '21 13:57
    @bigdogg said
    On this topic, the Gospel of Thomas is most enlightening. Available in the Hag Hammadi Library (amazon, if you're not boycotting them).

In sum: the kingdom is not coming later, it is here now, spread out upon the Earth, but men do not see it. Those who understand Jesus's meaning achieve the kingdom of God now, here, in this Earthly life. There is no talk of an afterlife or a resurrection. Those who say it is coming later will be the last to arrive there; those who say it is in the sky, will be preceded by birds. Lovely, powerful metaphors. Of course, the Roman bishops condemned this gospel and tried to suppress it, but one copy survived and was discovered only in 1945.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Jul '21 14:363 edits
    @moonbus
    In sum: the kingdom is not coming later, it is here now, spread out upon the Earth, but men do not see it. Those who understand Jesus's meaning achieve the kingdom of God now, here, in this Earthly life. There is no talk of an afterlife or a resurrection. Those who say it is coming later will be the last to arrive there; those who say it is in the sky, will be preceded by birds. Lovely, powerful metaphors. Of course, the Roman bishops condemned this gospel and tried to suppress it, but one copy survived and was discovered only in 1945.

There is nothing new or novel in speaking of the kingdom of God being now and not latter. You don't have to run to the some gnostic writings as gospel of Thomas to get that.

Romans by Paul is adequate to learn: "For the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit." (Rom. 14:17)

He did not the kingdom WILL NOT be as if only a future matter.
    Today in the normal church life the kingdom of God " [IS] . . . righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit."

There is nothing novel and new about saying gnostic apocryphal writings talked about the kingdom of God in the church age. John said he was a fellow partaker in the kingdom of God DURING the persecutions of the church age:

"I John, your brother and fellow partaker in the tribulation and kingdom and endurance in Jesus, was on the island called Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus." (Rev. 1:9)

Paul says the believers, at the present time, have been already transferred into the kingdom of Christ.

"God . . . Who has delivered us out of the authority of darkness and transferred us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins" (Col. 1:13)

Please read the New Testament more. Don't think you come up with some revolutionary new idea unique to the Gospel of Thomas.

The kingdom of God, Jesus taught, would be in STAGES. There is a STAGE of His kingdom NOW and a further STAGE of His kingdom after His second coming.

"And He said, So is the kingdom of God: as of a man cast seed on the earth, And sleeps and rises night and day, and the seed sprouts and lengthens - how, he does not know.

The earth bears fruit by itself:
    first a blade,
    then an ear,
    then full grain in the ear.
    But when the fruit is ripe, immediately he sends forth the sickle, because the harvest has come." (Mark 4:26-29)

See? Here the kingdom of God is the GROWING of the divine life. He grows in the disciples from degree to degree to degree until a HARVEST and reaping at its full growth. Each stage is the kingdom of God.

No need to run after the gospel of Thomas to think you found some impovement. Just read carefully your New Testament.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Jul '21 14:541 edit
    Those who understand Jesus's meaning achieve the kingdom of God now, here, in this Earthly life. There is no talk of an afterlife or a resurrection. Those who say it is coming later will be the last to arrive there; those who say it is in the sky, will be preceded by birds. Lovely, powerful metaphors. Of course, the Roman bishops condemned this gospel and tried to suppress it, but one copy survived and was discovered only in 1945.

Isn't it the case that when someone finds in the Gospels that which he doesn't like he looks around for some watering down or contradiction in other religious writings unfairly "kept out" of the Bible?

Then you simply say that prejudice kept THIS writing out of the canon of the New Testament.

Bingo! What I PREFER the New Testament teaches I shopped around and found over here. They just made a decision that these other teachings didn't belong with the inspired books of the canon.

Sadly, many times the people doing this don't read much what is THERE in the New Testament.

You don't like resurrection from the dead?
    Reach for some apocryphal writing which says nothing on this or contradicts it.
    Then claim that it was unfairly NOT included in the canon of the NT.

A far better way to get God's speaking is to regard every word of your New Testament, whether you understand it now or latter when you have more experience, as pure, honest, trustworthy, faithful.

Amen every word in the New Testament trusting that your Heavenly Father has your best interest in view. I say again - trust and give a hearty "Amen" to each and every passage of the Bible. Go for light, food, enlightenment. Let it speak to you personally.

Let it step on your toes sometimes.
    Nobody LIKES everything they always read in the Bible.
    Learn to humble yourself under God when you come across something you WISH was not written there. You will definitely get the blessing if you have this attitude. And understanding will GROW as you grow in spirituality and obedience.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Jul '21 15:101 edit
    As the years progress expect many more complaints that "THIS was left out of the Bible".

The enemy of God, the Devil, knew God had spoken in the Bible. He could not stop that. He could send a huge amount of other religious writing which is GOOD and claim it was kept out along with God's words.

Whenever you mention the Devil or Satan some people immediately assume only BAD things. Peter was rebuked and called Satan when Peter offered the "GOOD" advice that Jesus should spare Himself from being executed.

Man expressing his opinion can be a hiding place for the insidious Devil utilizing the "good" side of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Interesting things may be read in apocryphal writings.
    Interesting historical insights may be found there.
    Even some spiritual teaching not bad may be located in these writings.

Nor everything written about Jesus was intended by God to form the New Testament document. Not everything pious, religious, about Jesus, good, apparently "about" the Christian message was meant in the New Testament.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Jul '21 15:12
    Satan's cunning, man's good heart, man's opinion floods into the world along with the speaking of God. Master Matthew through Revelation - 27 books. To know counterfeit money, FNI agents handle REAL money so that when they get a fake they can detect it immediately.

To know what is of God and what is close, good stuff, mere human opinion, or the Devil's subtlety . . . handle the real product until you are very familiar with it. Even how it TASTES to your spirit counts.

Then you won't be fooled by the piety of the Gnostic Gospel of Thomas putting out the agenda of someone trying to "improve" on God's word.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Aug '21 10:19
    @eladar said
    I guess people around here think Jesus believed the Pharisees would find the road to salvation.
    You couldn't possibly have gleaned this from anything anyone has said in this forum. It sounds like you're just throwing rocks.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Aug '21 10:211 edit
    @moonbus said
    On this topic, the Gospel of Thomas is most enlightening. Available in the Hag Hammadi Library (amazon, if you're not boycotting them).

In sum: the kingdom is not coming later, it is here now, spread out upon the Earth, but men do not see it. Those who understand Jesus's meaning achieve the kingdom of God now, here, in this Earthly life. There is no talk of an afterlife or ...[text shortened]... ndemned this gospel and tried to suppress it, but one copy survived and was discovered only in 1945.
    I think it's more of a now and later kind of thing.

Not the gospel you write about, but the way I see it, is what I mean.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree