Ad Astara -

Standard memberRemoved
Spirituality 09 Oct '19 18:32
  1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Oct '19 18:325 edits
    I went to see the movie Ad Astra. I found it realistic and balanced for the post Star Trek generation.

Maybe we are all we have in the universe.
    Maybe we are not doing the best to leave families to live out the rest of our lives in deep space peering for other civilizations.

Maybe we ought to learn to live with one another on the one planet where we KNOW there is intelligent life - earth.

I think Ad Astra was the first Sci-Fi space movie tackling realism of the possibility that human kind is unique in the universe. Someone needed to explore that end of the spectrum - the opposite of 2001 a Space Odyssey or The Day The Earth Stood Still.

Voice your opinion if you saw this film and feel something about it.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '19 19:37
    @sonship said
    I went to see the movie Ad Astra. I found it realistic and balanced for the post Star Trek generation.

Maybe we are not doing the best to leave families to live out the rest of our lives in deep space peering for other civilizations.

Maybe we ought to learn to live with one another on the one planet where we KNOW there i ...[text shortened]... The Earth Stood Still[/b].

Voice your opinion if you saw this film and feel something about it.
    I watched this movie 2 weeks ago and struggled to stay awake. I found the film mildly interesting in a few places but generally it was overblown, poorly scripted and screen-played and peppered with tangential irrelevancies, some of which were the interesting bits.

Sorry, for me it was a 3/10
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Oct '19 22:042 edits
    Interesting.

Any other reactions, people?

(Hey Divegeester, If I had said that the movie was LOUSY, would you have disagreed on general principle? I wonder. )

One of these days I'm going to test you.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '19 23:27
    @sonship said

(Hey Divegeester, If I had said that the movie was LOUSY, would you have disagreed on general principle? I wonder. )
    One of these days I'm going to test you.
    I always try to post with unswerving direct honesty, so test away.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Oct '19 00:26
    @divegeester

With that kind of confident self advertisement, I think I should save my testing for something of more importance.
  6. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    10 Oct '19 00:58
    I see the movie, which I've not heard of before, is getting poor reviews. Sci-fi movies that get poor reviews can be either really bad or really good. So, I'll see it someday.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '19 01:14
    @sonship said

I have always synthesised what Star Trek serves up as being a series of contemplations on the human condition - with sci-fi and aliens/other species simply creating narrative backdrops for various anything-goes thought exercises - rather than any sort of joined-up 'manifesto' or prophesy regarding a universe populated by sentient non-human lifeforms.

Furthermore, Star Trek has always had an undisguised atheistic underpinning [it was one of Gene Roddenberry's prime directives, so to speak].

Having said that, I am two episodes into series 2 of Start Trek Discovery [the latest manifestation of the franchise] and - in the character of Capt. Pike - they have allowed themselves to cogitate divine intervention and faith [episode: "New Eden"], and it appears that he will be the first starship captain to be depicted as holding religious beliefs.

It will be very interesting if that is so. But, as I say, episode 2 so far only. We shall see.
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    10 Oct '19 01:15
    The speed of light and the way space is filled with a diffuse plasma precludes us from making contact with any intelligent life out there, at least for the time being. The solar system is relatively unusual, Earth is the largest terrestrial planet, in most systems there's a super-Earth. Everything orbits in almost a circle apart from comets and the gas giants are nice and far away. This is not the case in most exo-solar systems. I don't think it is likely that we're the only ones in the entire observable universe, but I do think it's likely we're rare. To the extent that we could be the only extant technological species in the galaxy.

I read a science fiction short story where they're traveling around the galaxy to find extra-terrestrial life. There was no hyperspace in this story they did it all at less than light speed. The protagonists meet a species who breath chlorine. They exchanged tissue samples and worked out that both parties were distant descendants of Earth. So they looked at Andromeda as the next stage in the search for anyone else out there. Sorry, this is from 30 years ago and I haven't a hope of remembering the name of the story, or who it was by.
  9. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    10 Oct '19 01:30
    @deepthought said
    The speed of light and the way space is filled with a diffuse plasma precludes us from making contact with any intelligent life out there, at least for the time being. The solar system is relatively unusual, Earth is the largest terrestrial planet, in most systems there's a super-Earth. Everything orbits in almost a circle apart from comets and the gas giants are nice a ...[text shortened]... ely we're rare. To the extent that we could be the only extant technological species in the galaxy.
    If a gas giant were in the Goldilocks zone of a Type G or K star, say, there might still be possibilities for life if the gas giant has one or more large moons. Maybe?
  10. S. Korea
    Moves
    10 Oct '19 01:35
    @divegeester said
    Question... Are you HONESTLY not interested in the hell passages of the New testament and what they mean? Because you have stated that you weren't interested in the topic before in spite of how much this actually tends to dominate the forum here.
  11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    10 Oct '19 01:42
    @soothfast said
    If a gas giant were in the Goldilocks zone of a Type G or K star, say, there might still be possibilities for life if the gas giant has one or more large moons. Maybe?
    The quick answer is that I don't know. The slightly longer one is that Jupiter has an immense electro-magnetic field and there may be some deuterium burning in its core. This is not an entirely life friendly environment. However, we can speculate that a gas giant moon would have enough of a magnetic field to solve these problems. So I still don't know.

If the astronomers find a planet with absorption lines corresponding to oxygen then that is as close as one gets to a "smoking gun" as far as the presence of life is concerned. I think that it's highly unlikely there's a system where the preponderance of oxygen is so great that it's overwhelmed all the reducing agents. But it's a big old universe. You'll need to buy a few drinks for an astronomer to find out what they think 😉.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Oct '19 11:342 edits
    @Soothfast

Interesting. Thanks.

I don't know much about reviews. But dazzling special effects are what a lot of people expect. This movie had special effects but the social commentary I thought was more powerful.

They had exploited the sense of dedication to the mission to produce those who were able to sacrifice their family ties. In the end, the main character regards his wife and family to be more important.

They sent the son to find the father out near Neptune in order to kill the father. The family tie was being exploited only to locate the father of the hero. The hero on the other hand had had enough of not seeing his dad. He figured out that he was being used this way.

There had been a mutiny on the father's ship because some of the astronauts could no longer stand it to be away from home - earth.

Now I thought that this was the stuff of realism. Sorry.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Oct '19 12:08
    Also the frailness and incompetency of some of the scientists came through somewhat more realistically of reality. Not everybody was so eager to jump out in harm's way like Buck Rogers or Luke Skywalker of past sagas.

We all know you have to be a special breed to be an astronaut. I think this was something of a comment like the British film about the specially bred perfect people who alone could go to space ?

This film showed that not all of them were so perfectly fit and competent for the job.

He told his dad that it was time for him to come home. His dad refused and would rather die out there around Neptune. He said he had infinite work to do - to locate another alien intelligence.

Father to the son - "Dad, its time to come home back to earth, back to the family that lost you and to those who love you. You were a great trailblazing searcher of the stars. A hero to science. You're old now and need to come home to us back to Earth."

Now, I'm sorry but this commentary was more realistic to me then the typical space saga. A little return back to sanity. We only are sure that we have each other - human beings - loved ones - family.

Somebody has to say these things to to the upcoming 21rst Century generation. Pioneers are great. But even in westward expansion in the American continent there were some tragedies of isolation, starvation, freezing, even cannibalism and virtual abandonment which served as lessons to historians.

The director of Gravity also did this film? The space generations come of age just a little bit.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Oct '19 15:54
    @sonship said
    @divegeester

With that kind of confident self advertisement, I think I should save my testing for something of more importance.
    As I’ve said to you several times before, the metaphorical “yes-or-no” quid-pro-quo question gauntlet is still on the ground at your feet where it was thrown by myself a couple of years ago.

Feel free to pick it up anytime...
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Oct '19 15:59
    @philokalia said
    Question... Are you HONESTLY not interested in the hell passages of the New testament and what they mean? Because you have stated that you weren't interested in the topic before in spite of how much this actually tends to dominate the forum here.
    I have probably posted and campaigned against their being a literal hell and literal version of a literal Jesus in it overseeing a literal burning alive of non Christians, more than anything else I’ve posted about in the 11 years I’ve been here.

So I’m not clear as to how you have come to your assumption.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree