1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 11:05
    For the second time in a month, I am having to start a thread to state something about my belief that KellyJay is pretending not to be aware of.

Once you read this KellyJay, you can no longer claim that you don't know what I believe about the right of women to choose. Never mind that we have talked about it before. Here it is now: a reset of sorts.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 11:061 edit
    I believe that life begins at conception and that the sperm fertilizing the egg is the moment the development of a human life’s unique personhood has been initiated.

Probably 50 years ago, this personal belief – drawing, I believe, on both my nature and my nurture – got synthesized into my moral compass. As beliefs go [and as with many of my personal beliefs], it has been constant and unaffected by my loss of Christian faith.

I believe our moral compasses, including mine, give us the moral analysis we need to govern our personal actions. I personally cannot have anything to do with terminating a pregnancy. This is also a core belief that sits very deeply at the heart of my relationship with my wife with whom I have brought two lives into this world.

I have managed to talk some family and close friends out of having an abortion over the last 40 years – with no regrets by any of those involved in those crisis moments – and I have failed to talk some family and friends out of having an abortion over the same period.

But I supported them and continued to love them after they went through with the termination anyway even though personally I saw them as tragic episodes.

My belief that life begins at conception is perhaps one of my most fundamental perspectives related to who I am and who my wife is and who our children are and who our ancestors were.

Having said that, I have no interest in imposing this highly personal belief of mine on others, especially women.
  3. Standard memberBeowulf
    Misfit King
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 11:22
    @FMF

If you were infected by an alien and it's baby was growing inside of you... would you have an abortion?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 11:31
    @beowulf said
    @FMF

If you were infected by an alien and it's baby was growing inside of you... would you have an abortion?
    I don't think so because I have good reason to believe that there would be fame and financial rewards if I were to carry it to term.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 13:30
    @fmf said
    I don't think so because I have good reason to believe that there would be fame and financial rewards if I were to carry it to term.
    You haven’t seen the film “Alien” then?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 13:50
    @divegeester said
    You haven’t seen the film “Alien” then?
    Yep. What I said before DESPITE having seen Alien.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 13:51
    @fmf said
    I believe that life begins at conception and that the sperm fertilizing the egg is the moment the development of a human life’s unique personhood has been initiated.

Probably 50 years ago, this personal belief – drawing, I believe, on both my nature and my nurture – got synthesized into my moral compass. As beliefs go [and as with many of my personal beliefs], it has been con ...[text shortened]... hat, I have no interest in imposing this highly personal belief of mine on others, especially women.
    Yeah you, there were lives saved but you don’t want to go overboard you might save more lives, so instead take offense over hypothetical tumors!
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 13:57
    @kellyjay said
    so instead take offense over hypothetical tumors!
    Where’s the abortions you are railing against in these threads aren't hypothetical?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 14:08
    @kellyjay said
    Yeah you, there were lives saved but you don’t want to go overboard you might save more lives, so instead take offense over hypothetical tumors!
    I don't "take offence" at "hypothetical tumours", KellyJay you silly billy. I just find the things you attribute to the God figure you describe to be morally incoherent.

If your mission is genuinely and sincerely to "save more lives", then I will not fault you for it. However, if your mission is, in fact, to impose your religionist beliefs on people who do not share them, then I don't applaud you, for what it's worth.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 14:10
    @kellyjay said
    Given the personal beliefs that I have laid out and the reasons behind them, what would - to your way of thinking - be "overboard"?
  11. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 14:267 edits
    @fmf said

Probably 50 years ago, this personal belief – drawing, I believe, on both my nature and my nurture – got synthesized into my moral compass. As beliefs go [and as with many of my personal beliefs], it has been con ...[text shortened]... hat, I have no interest in imposing this highly personal belief of mine on others, especially women.
    I personally cannot have anything to do with terminating a pregnancy.
    Personally, I don't believe you. If your 10 year old daughter was gang raped and she became pregnant, I'm fairly certain you or anyone here would relieve your own 10 year-old daughter from the evil pregnancy that was brought about by nothing but evil.
    If not, something is clearly wrong with you; or, anyone else here who claims the same as you just did.
    These types of people want everyone else to adhere to their views on abortion until it happens to them. If it does happen to them, then all the sudden it's a different story.
    Anyone, I mean anyone, that would force their own 10 year-old daughter to go threw such a pregnancy is nothing but one sick SOB who is headed to hell in a hand basket. End of story.
    My hats off to you for at least respecting the choice of others in this same situation, or something similar.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 14:381 edit
    @kingdavid403 said
    If your 10 year old daughter was gang raped and she became pregnant, I'm fairly certain you or anyone here would relieve your own 10 year-old daughter from the evil pregnancy that was brought about by nothing but evil.
    You're probably right. I'd also most likely agree to an abortion to save my wife's life.
  13. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 14:39
    @fmf said
    You're probably right.
    Thanks for the honesty. As a father of four daughters myself.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 14:41
    @kingdavid403 said
    Anyone, I mean anyone, that would force their own 10 year-old daughter to go threw such a pregnancy is nothing but one sick SOB who is headed to hell in a hand basket.
    On the occasions I have talked people out of terminating a pregnancy, rape was not involved. Nor were they minors.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 14:48
    @kingdavid403 said
    Thanks for the honesty.
    Well, you can stick your "thanks" in your ear.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree