01 Dec '19 23:473 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '19 08:501 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    That someone has to commit adultery in order to get freedom is very sad and not really freedom. But at least this person is free of the grip of the pernicious Jehovah's Witness cult.

Thanks for posting.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Dec '19 19:201 edit
    @Duchess64

I've read similar accounts of how difficult it is to leave a Mormon community and scientology. They exert a lot of psychological pressure on members not to leave, reminding them in not very subtle ways how much everyone in the cult will miss them if they go.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Dec '19 21:43

5. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    03 Dec '19 02:39
    @moonbus said
    @Duchess64

I've read similar accounts of how difficult it is to leave a Mormon community and scientology. They exert a lot of psychological pressure on members not to leave, reminding them in not very subtle ways how much everyone in the cult will miss them if they go.
    It was very easy for me to leave the Mormon church. Although they may not have agreed with my decision, the Mormon members of my family provided nothing but support regarding my decision. I was also very clear in my letter to the general administration of the church regarding my request that my name be removed from membership with no consequences to myself or family members still in the church. I respectfully year clearly stated that if there were any reprisals I would not hesitate to pursue legal recourse. I received a very cordial letter in response that stated that they would comply with my request, and to this day, over a decade later, there have been no harassment or reprisals for my leaving.

I understand that there have been local leaders as well as individuals’ family members who have applied pressure to individuals who have left the Mormon church. In my case, I feel that writing the letter and being proactive in my approach was an important part of the aftermath (or lack of) my leaving without pressure or repercussions.
  6. Joined
    03 Dec '19
    Moves
    03 Dec '19 05:17

7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Dec '19 06:46
    It’s not irrecoverable though, the witnesses do have rehabilitation mechanisms within the cult which returning members can be processes through should they be deemed to be exhibiting the required penitent attitude and repented behaviours. It would be an unpleasant experience though.

Not much surprises me with this particular church cult.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    03 Dec '19 21:49
    @hakima said
    It was very easy for me to leave the Mormon church. Although they may not have agreed with my decision, the Mormon members of my family provided nothing but support regarding my decision. I was also very clear in my letter to the general administration of the church regarding my request that my name be removed from membership with no consequences to myself or family members st ...[text shortened]... ch was an important part of the aftermath (or lack of) my leaving without pressure or repercussions.
    I find it creepy that you felt it necessary, or needful, to write a letter to be able to leave without reprisals or that you felt you had to threaten legal recourse if there were any unpleasant consequences. Imagine feeling you had to write a letter to the Democratic/Republican party, or to RHP, threatening legal consequences if they wouldn't simply let you go. Wouldn't that feel creepy to you?
  9. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    04 Dec '19 02:57
    @moonbus said
    I find it creepy that you felt it necessary, or needful, to write a letter to be able to leave without reprisals or that you felt you had to threaten legal recourse if there were any unpleasant consequences. Imagine feeling you had to write a letter to the Democratic/Republican party, or to RHP, threatening legal consequences if they wouldn't simply let you go. Wouldn't that feel creepy to you?
    It was effective. I never thought about it feeling “creepy” then and it doesn’t feel “creepy” now.

What’s the difference between “necessary” and “needful”?
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    04 Dec '19 05:47
    @hakima said
    It was effective. I never thought about it feeling “creepy” then and it doesn’t feel “creepy” now.

What’s the difference between “necessary” and “needful”?
    "Necessary" means it wouldn't have worked without it; a "need" is something stronger than a desire.

I would find it creepy if I felt I needed to threaten a group with legal action in order to leave it.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Dec '19 17:20
    @hakima said
    It was very easy for me to leave the Mormon church. Although they may not have agreed with my decision, the Mormon members of my family provided nothing but support regarding my decision. I was also very clear in my letter to the general administration of the church regarding my request that my name be removed from membership with no consequences to myself or family members st ...[text shortened]... ch was an important part of the aftermath (or lack of) my leaving without pressure or repercussions.
    This account is wonderful.

Well done you!
  12. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    05 Dec '19 20:19
    @divegeester said

Well done you!
    Buzz off, you!
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Dec '19 00:171 edit

14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '19 00:24
    So, Ms Storah believes that "goodness" requires some sort of supernatural being affecting people in order for it to occur, it seems. I wonder if this belief will wear off as her time in a Christian cult slips further and further back in her personal history.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Dec '19 00:34

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree