1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 Sep '22 20:082 edits
    How about when someone suggests a feature that can make something a little bit easier, faster or convenient, you all stop saying "pfft, why? All you gotta do is..."

The whole point of technology, especially on the internet, is to make things faster and less time-consuming.

So quit complaining about how back in the day your old miserly assess walked eighteen miles in the snow for bread.

"God, these people and their 'email' can't just lick a stamp???"
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 Sep '22 20:24
    #2: How about you all leave your personal forum beefs out there instead of dragging them here? This is for site ideas not continuing your dull, stupid arguments.
  3. High Wycombe, UK
    Moves
    17 Sep '22 11:11
    @vivify said
    How about when someone suggests a feature that can make something a little bit easier, faster or convenient, you all stop saying "pfft, why? All you gotta do is..."

The whole point of technology, especially on the internet, is to make things faster and less time-consuming.
    I agree with the sentiment here.
    If people don't support an idea exactly, they should respond positively with an even better suggestion of their own. That's how we make progress -bounce ideas off each other.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    17 Sep '22 17:01
    @vivify said

So quit complaining about how back in the day your old miserly assess walked eighteen miles in the snow for bread.

"God, these people and their 'email' can't just lick a stamp???"
    Agreed.

The user interface should be streamlined when possible, not left convoluted.

There are also long-standing holes in the playing experience, such as the lack of auto-draw for certain endgames that lack mating material, such as King + Bishop vs. King.

The lack of an auto-timeout option gives the impression that the site is for overly courteous, rather than serious, chess players.
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Sep '22 17:07
    @vivify said

One, not everything should be made as easy as possible. This is a site for correspondence chess, not for rapid snakes-and-ladders. It's supposed to be a challenge. Suggestions like auto-check and auto-timeout are against the principle, if you ask me. Saying that is not old-fogey get-off-my-lawn, it's standing up for the heart of the game.

Two, pretending that this is a matter of etiquette, of "bad manners", is not only disingenuous but, frankly, distasteful.
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Sep '22 17:08
    @dm7 said
    I agree with the sentiment here.
    If people don't support an idea exactly, they should respond positively with an even better suggestion of their own. That's how we make progress -bounce ideas off each other.
    Sometimes, the best suggestion is to leave well alone.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    17 Sep '22 17:22
    @shallow-blue said
    One, not everything should be made as easy as possible. This is a site for correspondence chess, not for rapid snakes-and-ladders. It's supposed to be a challenge. Suggestions like auto-check and auto-timeout are against the principle, if you ask me. Saying that is not old-fogey get-off-my-lawn, it's standing up for the heart of the game.

Two, pretending ...[text shortened]... this is a matter of etiquette, of "bad manners", is not only disingenuous but, frankly, distasteful.
    The game of chess is challenging enough.

Every other serious chess site times out automatically. These are the ones frequented by the very best players in the game.

You might not like the manner in which the suggestion was made, but it's valid nonetheless.
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Sep '22 19:351 edit
    @bigdogg said
    The game of chess is challenging enough.
    It's challenging because you don't get things handed to you on a plate. You have to think for yourself, and be on the ball.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    17 Sep '22 22:47
    @shallow-blue said
    It's challenging because you don't get things handed to you on a plate. You have to think for yourself, and be on the ball.
    Point is, that's the bit that's supposed to be complex. The game should be complex. The tools used to play it should not.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree