1. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    09 Sep '20 08:03
    This is an idea which has been brough Forward numerous times. here we concentrate on competitve games (Tournament, clan and ladder). To ensure a fair procedure to everyone timeouts should be enforced by the System.

My sugestion for the algorithm is to check when a game is assessed if Time-out has been reached. If so the Time-out is enforced. This saves on constantly chekcing a myriad of games and still enforces the timeout.

Non-competitive games should eplicitely extempt from These automatic timeouts.
  2. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    09 Sep '20 09:02
    @ponderable said
    This is an idea which has been brough Forward numerous times. here we concentrate on competitve games (Tournament, clan and ladder). To ensure a fair procedure to everyone timeouts should be enforced by the System.

My sugestion for the algorithm is to check when a game is assessed if Time-out has been reached. If so the Time-out is enforced. This saves on constantly ch ...[text shortened]... orces the timeout.

Makes it a level playing field. Feeling reluctant to take a skull shouldn't be a reason for losing a tournament.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Sep '20 15:58
    @ponderable said

My sugestion for the algorithm is to check when a game is assessed if Time-out has been reached. If so the Time-out is enforced. This saves on constantly ch ...[text shortened]... orces the timeout.

You shouldn't have any more games going than you can watch in my humble opinion. If you were at an over the board tournament no one would be able to point out your opponent had flagged.

I do see your point as this isn't over the board, but still do not agree with your point of view on it.

-VR
  4. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Sep '20 12:37
    @very-rusty said
    You shouldn't have any more games going than you can watch in my humble opinion. If you were at an over the board tournament no one would be able to point out your opponent had flagged.

I do see your point as this isn't over the board, but still do not agree with your point of view on it.

-VR
    In an OTB tournament you are sitting at the table at the same time. In correspondence chess the timeout occurse at a random time.

It was also not a question of being pointed to the fact but to clarify the stuation and to make the timeout equal for all. And we asked only for competitive games. Here a timeout not taken might affect the chances of other players.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    12 Sep '20 15:261 edit
    @ponderable said
    In an OTB tournament you are sitting at the table at the same time. In correspondence chess the timeout occurse at a random time.

It was also not a question of being pointed to the fact but to clarify the stuation and to make the timeout equal for all. And we asked only for competitive games. Here a timeout not taken might affect the chances of other players.
    Agreed and that is why it is the players obligation to watch the games he/she has in progress very closely. Not much one can do if they are unable to move for some medical reasons, but then it is not your fault either.

As you can see from my profile I don't miss getting many skulls. It seems you want it done for you so you don't have to be bothered with it which I don't feel is right.

In checking your profile seems you do pretty well crushing skulls yourself! 😉

-VR
  6. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Sep '20 17:32
    @very-rusty said
    Agreed and that is why it is the players obligation to watch the games he/she has in progress very closely. Not much one can do if they are unable to move for some medical reasons, but then it is not your fault either.

As you can see from my profile I don't miss getting many skulls. It seems you want it done for you so you don't have to be bothered with it which I don't ...[text shortened]... is right.

In checking your profile seems you do pretty well crushing skulls yourself! 😉

-VR
    In competitive games I take them as soon as they become availoable and I am online. I have five or so sitting on the shelf in friendly games.
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    14 Sep '20 11:47
    @ponderable said
    In competitive games I take them as soon as they become availoable and I am online. I have five or so sitting on the shelf in friendly games.
    However if it were a Clan game would you crush that skull soon as it appeared, would you not?

-VR
  8. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    14 Sep '20 11:49
    @very-rusty said
    However if it were a Clan game would you crush that skull soon as it appeared, would you not?

-VR
    Clan game is competitive.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    14 Sep '20 16:031 edit
    @ponderable said
    Clan game is competitive.
    They all are only in a Clan game you also playing for others who are depending on your results!

It is up to you to watch for the skulls not for the site to do it for you in my humble opinion.

-VR
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '20 05:45
    It seems incongruent to ask for some else to watch your games when you aren’t watching them, in order to take advantage of when your opponent isn’t watching their games.
  11. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Sep '20 15:31
    @ponderable said

Personally I would consider automatic timeouts (even in competitive games) as 'external assistance' and outside the rules of chess. In an OTB tournament, it is still incumbent for the player to claim the win on time.

'Fairness' is ensured by the fact that we can all identify when an opponent has exceeded the time limit and claim the skull if we so choose. I appreciate it is not a straight comparison with OTB as we play multiple games here, but we wouldn't accept automatic alerts if a checkmate move were possible, so why accept them if a time win is possible? In both cases, it is for us to identify the win, whether it be by checkmate or on time.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 Sep '20 20:44
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Personally I would consider automatic timeouts (even in competitive games) as 'external assistance' and outside the rules of chess. In an OTB tournament, it is still incumbent for the player to claim the win on time.

'Fairness' is ensured by the fact that we can all identify when an opponent has exceeded the time limit and claim the skull if we so choose. I apprec ...[text shortened]... is possible? In both cases, it is for us to identify the win, whether it be by checkmate or on time.
    I strongly disagree on automatic timeouts in competitive games, it is up to YOU to see it not leave it to an auto-bot to do it for you!

-VR
  13. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Sep '20 15:05
    So once again:

The point is that people play in different time-zones, so the comparison to OTB is limited.
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 Sep '20 17:501 edit
    @ponderable said
    So once again:

The point is that people play in different time-zones, so the comparison to OTB is limited.
    We also knew that when we signed up! 😉

So goes your argument about time-zones.

Perhaps you should check to see everyone you are playing is in YOUR TIME ZONE!!!

The thing is no one knows but you if it was the time Zone or you would be the reason for a skull being missed. You could keep track like someone on here once did and get up 3:00 a.m. just to crush a skull. You always know how much time your opponent has left that is quite clear!!

-VR
  15. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    19 Sep '20 18:33
    "Tournament games time out automatically 2 days after the timeout period expires. "

The above quote is displayed on the sign-up page for tournaments. I understand that to mean that when the skull comes on, you can claim it right away, but if you do not claim it, it will be automatically claimed after two days. Does that apply or not? I think it has existed for several years.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree