1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 May '22 13:211 edit
    @divegeester said
    Me also, the thumbing function is largely just abused for the purpose of enflaming normal levels of conflict. However this still happened with recommendations but at least recs were all positive! I feel that thumbing function is a blight on the forums often making normal levels of conflict in discussion impossible to maintain.
    You just want all the red thumbs you got removed! It is really that simple! Many of the things you got thumbs down for makes you look bad, of course you can't have yourself looking bad! πŸ™‚

You should have been happy with the alerting at least they got removed. No post to find. πŸ™‚

-VR
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 May '22 18:17
    @very-rusty said
    You just want all the red thumbs you got removed! It is really that simple! Many of the things you got thumbs down for makes you look bad, of course you can't have yourself looking bad! πŸ™‚

You should have been happy with the alerting at least they got removed. No post to find. πŸ™‚

-VR
    No, you are mistaken.
  3. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    23 May '22 04:53
    @ponderable said
    Venda made a suggestion in another thread:
    I am not interested in the thumb system in any shape or form.
    My only suggestion would be a facility to mask them on my profile so I don't even have to see them.

I can support this.
    Although I am not likely to be one of the thumbs-maskers, the addition of this option sounds like a good idea to me.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    24 May '22 08:37
    @divegeester said
    Me also, the thumbing function is largely just abused for the purpose of enflaming normal levels of conflict. However this still happened with recommendations but at least recs were all positive! I feel that thumbing function is a blight on the forums often making normal levels of conflict in discussion impossible to maintain.
    Nonsense. Thumbs don't prevent anyone from saying what needs to be said. How it is said, whether confrontationally or politely, has nothing to do with thumbs. Just ignore them, if they make you feel uncomfortable.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 May '22 14:54
    @moonbus said
    Nonsense. Thumbs don't prevent anyone from saying what needs to be said. How it is said, whether confrontationally or politely, has nothing to do with thumbs. Just ignore them, if they make you feel uncomfortable.
    It’s not nonsense.

I’m aware of what you think of thumbs
    I’m aware of how to ignore thumbs. My issue isn’t with me trying to ignore thumbs. But nice try.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 May '22 09:57
    @moonbus said
    If it were not important to many, it would not keep coming up. We can change two
    things, and everyone will be happy. Allow those who want their thumbs to be
    identified to get identified; the rest will stay as is. Or block seeing them all together
    for those that don't like them at all, and everyone who likes does nothing, and
    nothing changes for them. This I think would end the discussions, and those that are
    still not happy, well, I don't think there is a solution that will make everyone happy.
  7. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    25 May '22 13:20
    @divegeester said
    My issue isn’t with me trying to ignore thumbs.
    What exactly IS your issue?
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 May '22 13:35
    @kevin-eleven said
    What exactly IS your issue?
    He just doesn't want any of the "untouchables" making him look bad.

He doesn't want to have to pay for the nasty stuff he says here.

He wants no Day of Reckoning. He wants to say what he wants to say without repercussion, without criticism, without disagreement.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 May '22 13:37
    @divegeester said
    It’s not nonsense.

I’m aware of what you think of thumbs
    I’m aware of how to ignore thumbs. My issue isn’t with me trying to ignore thumbs. But nice try.
    It IS nonsense.

You want to be able to say whatever nasty thing enters your head without pushback.

Anyone can see what goes on in the Spirituality Forum. Have you forgotten that?
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 May '22 13:46
    @divegeester said
    You are grossly mistaken.

The abuse and the blight in the forums comes from one source, the same source who wants thumbs removed. Not hard to figure out why.

There is no "abuse" of thumbs, just like there was no "abuse" of alerts. You were successful in silencing one, now you're trying for the other, so you can frolic through your day, abusing whom you want, with no obvious disagreement.

That's not how life works, Spanky.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 May '22 18:153 edits
    @kellyjay said
    If it were not important to many, it would not keep coming up. We can change two
    things, and everyone will be happy. Allow those who want their thumbs to be
    identified to get identified; the rest will stay as is. Or block seeing them all together
    for those that don't like them at all, and everyone who likes does nothing, and
    nothing changes for them. This I think would e ...[text shortened]... se that are
    still not happy, well, I don't think there is a solution that will make everyone happy.
    I have no objection to your proposal, but I don’t think it would make everyone happy, even if it could be coded, to add the options you propose. Basically only two people are pushing to have the thumbs system radically changed. It’s bloody obvious why: those two reap most of the TDs doled out across multiple forums and multiple threads. If the option were added to allow thumbers to continue to remain nameless, those two would continue to reap the harvest they sow, same as now. They both say they don’t care how many TDs they get, but their persistence in trying to get thumbs either removed or named belies that claim.

I have no objection to offering users a display option which would leave thumbs as they are but render them invisible to those who think they are childish. Whether that would satisfy @fmf is his call.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 May '22 18:51
    @suzianne said
    It IS nonsense.
    It isn’t.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 May '22 18:52
    @suzianne said
    You are grossly mistaken.
    I don’t think I am, not at all.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 May '22 00:081 edit
    @moonbus said
    I have no objection to your proposal, but I don’t think it would make everyone happy, even if it could be coded, to add the options you propose. Basically only two people are pushing to have the thumbs system radically changed. It’s bloody obvious why: those two reap most of the TDs doled out across multiple forums and multiple threads. If the option were added to allow thumb ...[text shortened]... er them invisible to those who think they are childish. Whether that would satisfy @fmf is his call.
    As far as I'm concerned, allowing something that IDs my likes and dislikes about a
    post is what I want concerning thumbs up or down. I don't do thumbs down simply
    because of the number of them that have NOTHING to do with the post, only the
    posters. I don't care what those two want; they have nothing to do with why I want
    what I'm asking for, and anyone who reads our exchanges should know they are not
    overly concerned about my desires and I theirs. I have thumbs up some of the
    things they said, but more times than not, not.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 May '22 12:19
    @kellyjay said
    As far as I'm concerned, allowing something that IDs my likes and dislikes about a
    post is what I want concerning thumbs up or down. I don't do thumbs down simply
    because of the number of them that have NOTHING to do with the post, only the
    posters. I don't care what those two want; they have nothing to do with why I want
    what I'm asking for, and anyone who reads our exc ...[text shortened]... desires and I theirs. I have thumbs up some of the
    things they said, but more times than not, not.
    You are playing directly into the hands of those who already abuse you in the Spirituality Forum on a many-times-per-day basis.

They already have you believing their "they down-thumb the poster, not the post" baloney. This is remarkable Stockholm-syndrome quality nonsense coming from you. You are agreeing with them and their propaganda that site users can't be trusted with their thumbing decisions. You, taking the side of your abusers, insult every user of the forums on this site. Nice.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree