1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    21 Jul '22 08:472 edits
    I'm proposing changing the open invite rating limits to a range.

-n and +n from your current rating.

I've wanted to do this for sometime, and can see this system is in use elsewhere too.

Any strong feelings regarding this? I don't see any drawbacks, but I'm reluctant to make such a change to an established system without any feedback.
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    21 Jul '22 10:31
    @russ said

I've wanted to do this for sometime, and can see this system is in use elsewhere too.

Any strong feelings regarding this? I don't see any drawbacks, but I'm reluctant to make such a change to an established system without any feedback.
    In gerenal I am fine with this.

Giving a specific rating band has also its merits, especially for those whose rating is swingig quite a bit.

So my question would be: Do you plan to ahve both options or do you plan to retire the absolute numbers?
  3. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    21 Jul '22 11:46
    @Russ

I am sceptical about what value this may add. If users can still offer invites with no ranges, upper limit only or lower limit only then perhaps fair enough. If the user can set the +/- range themselves and have the option of it being assymetric i.e a different range above to below current rating then also fair enough but why change it? Because I prefer to play multi-move a day games I will often offer and pick up open invites. I like to have a fairly rigid upper limit and would find that constantly changing with each rating adjustment annoying.
  4. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    21 Jul '22 12:37
    @Russ
    I think there isn't anything wrong with the current option.

You can totally ignore the limit option.
    You can set just an upper limit, or just a lower limit, or both.
    If you want +100/-50 you can do that now.
    If you do want something like +/- 100 points, you can already do that too.

I don't use 'open invites' all that much, but it seems to be just fine the way it is, Russ.
  5. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 08:38
    @mwmiller said
    @Russ
    I think there isn't anything wrong with the current option.

You can totally ignore the limit option.
    You can set just an upper limit, or just a lower limit, or both.
    If you want +100/-50 you can do that now.
    If you do want something like +/- 100 points, you can already do that too.

I don't use 'open invites' all that much, but it seems to be just fine the way it is, Russ.
    Agreed.
    I'm sure there's other things that need addressing more urgently.
    I will respond to an open invite but never mount one so it doesn't really affect me and I've stated many times what I think of the rating system anyway.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 08:55
    @russ said

I don’t use the open invite function much so I guess the question from other as to what the benefit would be is key.

As Venda mentioned, are there more pressing issues?
    One that springs to mind is the long time request for a separate Clan rating perhaps.
  7. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 09:081 edit
    I like things the way they are.
    But I'm not a member anymore, I forgot that! So no worries if you change things.
  8. Standard memberBeowulf
    Misfit King
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 11:19
    @divegeester said
    I don’t use the open invite function much so I guess the question from other as to what the benefit would be is key.

As Venda mentioned, are there more pressing issues?
    One that springs to mind is the long time request for a separate Clan rating perhaps.
    This ⬆️
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Jul '22 15:44
    @russ said

I'm not sure. -200 is very different from +200, both when you're rated 800 and when you're rated 2200. It won't impact a middle-nobody patzer like me very much, but for players at either ends of the range? Not good.
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    25 Jul '22 14:04
    Thanks for input everyone.

I'll add a button to auto set the open invites rating bands to n+/-, but otherwise keep the option as is now.
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    25 Jul '22 14:093 edits
    @divegeester said
    Nearly done with mobile apps - both Android and iPhone have significant releases queued up now and are being held back due to planned time-away. (iOS beta here iPhone App )

Then back to features like this - I'll try to address these before embarking on the next big project. (General UI refresh*, hence the original consultation.)

edit : *General UI refresh will be the only visible change, but actually a rewrite of the code that presents the UI.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Jul '22 10:20
    @russ said

Is this Current Rating or Tournament Entry Rating?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree