1. Joined
    22 Apr '17
    Moves
    29 Aug '19 04:26
    I am an experienced inexperienced player. I believe here we have a number of very well trained masters, who would probably be open for a hiring as a teacher.

So for this site, a classifieds section where Masters can offer services to teach and mentor people.
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    29 Aug '19 20:54
    @evan-cutler said
    I am an experienced inexperienced player. I believe here we have a number of very well trained masters, who would probably be open for a hiring as a teacher.

So for this site, a classifieds section where Masters can offer services to teach and mentor people.
    Eh, just post questions on the "Only Chess" forum. There are several strong players there who will be glad to help answer them.
  3. Joined
    22 Apr '17
    Moves
    30 Aug '19 01:381 edit
    I really do appreciate that. and you have no idea how awesome I think that is. The problem is I cannot formulate the question properly. I'm not at "What should I do here", I am at "why is my brain wrong" especially in the openings. What I need is someone to stop and listen and look at me for an hour or two to start, and help me identify where I should start learning. Thanks
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Aug '19 10:13
    Chess is a progression. Chess is not cut and dry, it is always chess in the opening, middle game and end game.

Judging your rating you do not need a really strong player's help, you are not there yet.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Aug '19 14:52
    In this game you made opening errors which are really chess errors.Game 12465641
  6. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    30 Aug '19 15:25
    @Evan-Cutler

Make sure you take some time to make sure you have covered the basics. Youtube is your friend.

YouTube
    YouTube
    YouTube
  7. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    30 Aug '19 15:47
    @evan-cutler said

I have been a chess instructor of over 4 decades and have some advice for you after looking at some of your games. Before each move count pawns and pieces to see the status of material. Before you make each move look closely to see if any of your pieces can be taken and after each of your opponents moves look closely to see if you can capture any of your opponents pieces. Giving away pawns and pieces for lesser valued pieces is usually not good. Relative value of pieces are : Pawns 1 point, bishops and knights 3 points, rooks 5 points, Queen 9 points. These are just general recommendations , but if you follow them your rating should rise.
  8. Joined
    22 Apr '17
    Moves
    31 Aug '19 03:08
    You all are so kind. I have loved this game for over 30 years, and by my detriment, I haven't been able to find a way to be able to make sense of the opening attack and defense. I know the rules, and I know the four basic premises. I will watch the youtube and re-look at the matches as prescribed.

Thank you so much!
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Aug '19 03:49
    @Evan-Cutler

In the game I linked, you stopped developing pieces too soon. Get completely developed before attacking.

Stop going for an opening trick. Get your rooks connected with king safely castled.

This is a goal easily evaluated at the end of your games.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Aug '19 18:07
    I think one of the worst things about trying to grow in chess is that you are clueless about what you really need to learn.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Aug '19 18:232 edits

A position from one of your games, white to play...

What is your move?
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Sep '19 18:34
    Actually is was black to move. You had just played Qh5, offering your queen to his knight.

He castles instead and you keep your queen and go on to win. This is why you struggle to get better. You play weak players who you learn to play poorly.
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Sep '19 06:14
    @evan-cutler said

I doubt Russ would see any benefit from posting classified ads.

As the above posts show, there is plenty of advice available, free for the asking.
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 Sep '19 21:511 edit
    @evan-cutler said

There may be people on here who would help and train you for free as there are many good players on here. I was once told by an expert alot of the same things you've been told by others in this thread. Also I would like to add something a Master once told me, when you think you've found a good move see if you can find a better one. Good luck in trying to improve your game!!!

I'd listen to whatever caissad4 suggested for sure!

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree