1. Standard memberelassasino
    king of vectors
    center squares :p
    Moves
    20 Aug '20 02:33
    ... tried to find this in a thread ... surprised there wasnt one : {
    Does RHP e-monitor for various scoundrelswho when down 6-9 pts ... sometimes just a pawn ... make a manouver that a 1500 pt stronger player would never see ? ... I never can be sure im not playing a human + a smartphone ... @ least w/ my i-pad theres no doubt :p
  2. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    20 Aug '20 13:33
    @elassasino said
    ... tried to find this in a thread ... surprised there wasnt one : {
    Does RHP e-monitor for various scoundrelswho when down 6-9 pts ... sometimes just a pawn ... make a manouver that a 1500 pt stronger player would never see ? ... I never can be sure im not playing a human + a smartphone ... @ least w/ my i-pad theres no doubt :p
    It's very difficult to find any proof of cheating in correspondence chess.
    Even without using engines it's very easy for a player to get advice from someone stronger.
    I often find that opponents who should be far weaker than me on ratings evidence are in fact very skillful when their backs are to the wall.
    I just accept it.
    By watching what they do it should, in theory improve my own game.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 Aug '20 16:32
    @venda said
    Even without using engines it's very easy for a player to get advice from someone stronger.
    I often find that opponents who should be far weaker than me on ratings evidence are in fact very skillful when their backs are to the wall.
    I just accept it.
    I was surprised that I beat a higher rated opponent like 300 points above me. He told me he wasn't use to playing against the defence I used which was the Pirc. He did win the other one a Queen's Indian attack. I think it is possible to beat a higher rated opponent if they are not familiar with the opening or defence, not all higher rated players are familiar with all the openings and defences.

-VR
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Aug '20 14:49
    @venda said
    I just accept it.
    Move matchups work.

Compare the player's move choices to that of a strong engine. Eliminate book moves and games against very weak opponents.

If the player's matchups are higher than even, say, Magnus Carlsen can achieve, that player is likely cheating.

Lichess.org does this quite well. I lose to a cheater, and they are banned, and my rating points returned, usually on the next day.
  5. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    22 Aug '20 20:09
    @bigdoggproblem said
    Move matchups work.

Compare the player's move choices to that of a strong engine. Eliminate book moves and games against very weak opponents.

If the player's matchups are higher than even, say, Magnus Carlsen can achieve, that player is likely cheating.

Lichess.org does this quite well. I lose to a cheater, and they are banned, and my rating points returned, usually on the next day.
    That makes sense.
    I only play on here so I know nothing of other sites
    What is the procedure on Lichess?
    Do you have to report an opponent you suspect of engine use?
    I think most players(myself included) would be reluctant to report an opponent, firstly in case they are incorrect and secondly the bad feeling it would cause with the other player.
    If any "investigation" is done without the opponents knowledge of course that is a different matter.
    As I said previously , I don't really care if an opponent is using an engine although i can't see what pleasure they would get from it
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Aug '20 23:01
    @venda said
    That makes sense.
    I only play on here so I know nothing of other sites
    What is the procedure on Lichess?
    Do you have to report an opponent you suspect of engine use?
    I think most players(myself included) would be reluctant to report an opponent, firstly in case they are incorrect and secondly the bad feeling it would cause with the other player.
    If any "investigation" is ...[text shortened]... lly care if an opponent is using an engine although i can't see what pleasure they would get from it
    There is no procedure; it just happens automatically.

They must have a bot doing games analysis.
  7. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    23 Aug '20 13:10
    @bigdoggproblem said
    There is no procedure; it just happens automatically.

They must have a bot doing games analysis.
    That's good.
    Perhaps Russ could do make some enquiries and consider such a system here.
    I know he reads this forum

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree