1. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    04 Feb '22 13:58
    I have tried to be a greeter several times since the program was introduced. I think it has worked well at times and it is a good feeling to know you have helped a newbie get started at this greatl site.

However, there is an amount of frustration with the program as well.
    I have volunteered and then resigned from the program several times, and here is why. The majority of games sent to me are never started by the newbie, who is playing as White. So it just sits there and I eventually delete it.

I have not experienced the actual introduction to the greeter program and do not know how it is presented to the new member. I suspect they are asked if they would like to play a game with one of the greeters. I don't know if they are informed that they can ask questions or how to do that.

Perhaps in that first greeter game it might be better to have the greeter play White and give Black to the newbie. At least in that way the greeter can send a move along with an opening message telling how to communicate in a game, and see how it goes from there.

Do any of the other 'greeters' here have any thoughts on how to improve this program?

Can any recent new members who played a greeter game describe their experience with this when they opened their account?

Perhaps you have some useful suggestions as well. Let's hear from you !
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    04 Feb '22 14:07
    @mwmiller said
    I have tried to be a greeter several times since the program was introduced. I think it has worked well at times and it is a good feeling to know you have helped a newbie get started at this greatl site.

However, there is an amount of frustration with the program as well.
    I have volunteered and then resigned from the program several times, and here is why. The majority ...[text shortened]... ey opened their account?

Perhaps you have some useful suggestions as well. Let's hear from you !
    Good suggestions and questions. I await a response from others and the “powers that be”.👍
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    05 Feb '22 11:08
    I was one of the original greeters, and gave it up for exactly the reasons you gave. I'd rejoin if your request is successful.
  4. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    05 Feb '22 11:281 edit

Removed by poster

5. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    05 Feb '22 11:501 edit
    Another problem is language.

If the greeter and the newbie do not share a common language, questions, answers and information cannot be shared.

Have greeters specify what languages they can use when they sign up, and keep that information in a database. Then have the newbie indicate their normal language, and match them up with a greeter that can use that language.
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    08 Feb '22 17:591 edit
    My take on this is the new player has to play white - if they don't, they will never engage with the site if there is not a move waiting for them.

Those who don't go on to make a move when a game is waiting probably need a better tutorial on sign up.

I'm not sure language is such an issue - most people who sign up do appear to be English speakers ( as the site is not offered in any other languages.).
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    08 Feb '22 18:03
    Very open to new ideas and suggestions on improving this for greeter and new players alike, of course.
  8. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    08 Feb '22 18:36
    @Russ
    As a follow up on my idea of deleting the 'welcome' game and starting up a new one with switched colors, I tried it twice on non-movers. It did not make a bit of difference. There still was no activity from them. I suppose they signed up, didn't get an instant response, so left for good. So switching colors on the 'welcome' game does not seem to make a difference.

You might mention in that tutorial that the greeters may not be online at the moment the game is created, but that we will usually show up regularly and will see the game and play. They should come back regularly and check their games. They need to be patient since we are scattered around the world. Point them to the 'open invites' page and encourage them to put up a couple games, or perhaps start one there for them when they complete their signup, which should help get them started in a game or two.

Anyway, thanks for jumping in on this thread Russ!
  9. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    08 Feb '22 19:59
    @russ said
    Very open to new ideas and suggestions on improving this for greeter and new players alike, of course.
    An extra incentive to a new player could be giving them a material advantage.
    I have an old chess computer where on a certain level it will play you without it's queen!
    Downside to this of course,is that you don't know how good the new player really is!
    I assume "greeter" games are unrated?
  10. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    08 Feb '22 20:28
    @venda

I personally don't think the idea of the greeter program is to give a new player an incentive of an easy or abnormal game. But that is just my personal opinion. 🙂

The greeter 'welcome' game can be either rated or unrated, and the choice is determined by each greeter when they volunteer for the program.

As I understand it, the program is supposed to be to set the new member up with an opponent who can help them to find their way around the RHP site and discover how to find and use the many features available. Someone able to answer questions. Things like how to customize their setting preferences, send messages, create open invite games, challenge individuals, use the various forums, and basically to help them find their way around.

If you look at the 'community' link above and scroll down to 'greeters' you can check the program out and also sign up if you want.
  11. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    09 Feb '22 01:16

Removed by poster

12. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    09 Feb '22 11:44
    @mwmiller said
    @venda

I personally don't think the idea of the greeter program is to give a new player an incentive of an easy or abnormal game. But that is just my personal opinion. 🙂

The greeter 'welcome' game can be either rated or unrated, and the choice is determined by each greeter when they volunteer for the program.

As I understand it, the program is supposed to be to s ...[text shortened]... link above and scroll down to 'greeters' you can check the program out and also sign up if you want.
    You're probably right in your assumptions.
    As with any technology, there's things on here that may be confusing to a newcomer.
    You only need to look on the "help" thread to see evidence of this.
  13. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    09 Feb '22 13:481 edit
    @venda said
    You're probably right in your assumptions.
    As with any technology, there's things on here that may be confusing to a newcomer.
    You only need to look on the "help" thread to see evidence of this.
    I agree. I've been here almost forever and I am still discovering new things that I should have learned a long time ago.

I just browsed through the 'greeter' list and saw that there are three pages of names, but when you check the latest activity, only those on the first page are still active, and that's only part of the first page. The program needs some 'tweaking' I think.
  14. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    09 Feb '22 13:591 edit
    @mwmiller said
    I agree. I've been here almost forever and I am still discovering new things that I should have learned a long time ago.

I just browsed through the 'greeter' list and saw that there are three pages of names, but when you check the latest activity, only those on the first page are still active, and that's only part of the first page. The program needs some 'tweaking' I think.
    Indeed at least the two removed players should be removed from the list.
  15. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    09 Feb '22 14:41
    @ponderable said
    Indeed at least the two removed players should be removed from the list.
    Agreed! Along with all of those that have been inactive for a long time.

You have been a greeter for quite some time, right?
    Perhaps you can offer some ideas that would help the program to be more effective!

It would probably be useful to actually see what is presented to a new member about the greeter program as they open an account, but creating another account to get that experience violates the TOS.

What has been your experience with the program?

In my case the majority of my 'welcome games' have never been played at all.
    The new member does not make a single move.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree