1. SubscriberMisterCat
    T.H.E. Cat
    NJ
    Moves
    23 Jun '20 23:31
    Game history problem
    This game has an incomplete game history and may not be reported correctly.

Holy Cow! Or I should say 'MEOW'! I've been playing here for years - proud of many games and accomplishments - and like to look back on my games for opening analysis, middlegame ideas, etc. This is a valuable tool for learning and improvement!
    NOW, I get this 'game history problem' in numerous games. Actually, I find this DEVASTATING, and disappointing. I reached out to the webmasters, who ignored my comment. Have other people experienced this problem? Has it been addressed before? Does anybody know the cause or a solution? (meow)
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Jun '20 02:56
    Not enough storage space for every game, noticed recently myself.
  3. SubscriberMisterCat
    T.H.E. Cat
    NJ
    Moves
    24 Jun '20 04:58
    I am surprised by this, since pgn is simple text - takes up little space. HOWEVER, had I only known this in advance, I would have downloaded each and every one of my games onto my home computer for reference and analysis.

With over 200 games to my name, doing that task NOW, game by game, would take an enormous amount of effort. HOW ABOUT a feature to DOWNLOAD ALL GAMES in one shot?
  4. Subscribervendaonline
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    24 Jun '20 18:58
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    25 Jun '20 10:151 edit
    The old games for active players have not been deleted, they are just unavailable right now.

Some selective pruning of this data will likely take place though in the future, as it has in the past.
  6. SubscriberMisterCat
    T.H.E. Cat
    NJ
    Moves
    05 Jul '20 02:01
    Russ has been kind enough to send me my games. However, I am clueless - he sent a file in text format (hundreds of games - look like pgn to me, with all the headings), and none of my pgn readers can recognize this. Can anybody tell me how to change this text file into a pgn database, so readers such as Chessbase will work and read them in ??? (meow)
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jul '20 05:04

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. SubscriberMisterCat
    T.H.E. Cat
    NJ
    Moves
    05 Jul '20 16:25
    @Duchess64
    Here is the update - Russ WAS GOOD ENOUGH to send me a file with ALL MY OLD GAMES (I think). It was a txt file, and I am still putting MUCH effort into changing this into a pgn database (see my thread at Chess forum), but I expect I'll get that working; eventually.
    Then, I can view and analyze all my games using available software - such as Chessbase Reader, etc.

Now, since Russ did ME a solid, I did some quid pro quo - re-upped my membership here for a year. Seemed fair.

But note that Russ has said that he plans to reinstate all games to the database HERE, eventually (don't know when).

He also liked my suggestion - providing a 'download all games' feature as a members-only perk. If this actually happens, you can thank me later. (meow)
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    05 Jul '20 16:58
    @mistercat said
    @Duchess64
    Here is the update - Russ WAS GOOD ENOUGH to send me a file with ALL MY OLD GAMES (I think). It was a txt file, and I am still putting MUCH effort into changing this into a pgn database (see my thread at Chess forum), but I expect I'll get that working; eventually.
    Then, I can view and analyze all my games using available software - such as Chessbase Reader, et ...[text shortened]... all games' feature as a members-only perk. If this actually happens, you can thank me later. (meow)
    Thank you in advance!

-VR
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jul '20 17:12

11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    05 Jul '20 22:03
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I believe all non-subs who are new should have a limit to how many posts and alert they can do.

I also believe non-subs who were paying subs should have no limit on posting or alerts. If they are alerting just for the sake of alerting it will not take the Moderators long to catch on to what they are doing.

-VR
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 00:04

13. SubscriberMisterCat
    T.H.E. Cat
    NJ
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 03:03
    Folks, this thread is getting a bit too general and off my original topic, IMHO. I will remark on a few specifics:

'access to' or 'looking up' your games is an entirely different animal than 'downloading games'. If Russ restores the game files as promised, then everyone can look up games HERE, anytime. Also, anyone NOW can download a SPECIFIC GAME by using the 'pgn' button near the bottom of your game screen.

I was discussing the feature to download YOUR ENTIRE SET of games, which we can not do as yet.

I also play chess at the site 'Little Golem'. That site is not specifically for Chess and is WAY MORE PRIMITIVE and has less Chess features than this site, BUT - you can download your entire collection of games in pgn, anytime you want. This is NOT a member-only feature. I get the feeling that this feature was a fairly trivial option for the site creator. It was Russ, not moi, who suggested adding it as a member-only feature.

Look, it's HIS site, he gets to make the rules. As it is, we get PLENTY OF FREE FEATURES here, as I see it.

I won't comment on the other remarks, since they appear to be too general - differences between member and non-member privileges, distinction for 'occasional member', etc. I think that these topics might be discussed further in a thread devoted to that. (meow)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree