1. SubscriberBrrronline
    King of Cool
    AUSTIN, TEXAS
    Moves
    23 Jan '22 09:30
    FORCED DRAW Game Id 14628988
    Perhaps this topic has already been addressed. My opponent and I are moving the same pieces pack and forth, waiting for the chess software to stop the game and call an automatic draw, after 3 forced repetitions............but it never seems to call a draw??? Is the RHP software not picking this up, stopping the game as a draw after 3 repetitions of the same move?
  2. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    23 Jan '22 19:323 edits
    @Brrr
    You have to claim the draw by clicking the button. The system won't automatically declare a draw.

Please note that it has to be the third repetion of the position.

From the FAQ (on the Help menu):

"Third repetition of a position. If any identical position appears three times during a game, then the game can be claimed as a draw. Please note that each repetition must be identical with regards to en passant and castling availability. A draw can only be claimed along with a move that contributes to a repetition. Claiming after the repetition has occurred is not possible, unless the same position can be repeated again on a future move."
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Jan '22 21:49
    @kevin-eleven said
    @Brrr
    You have to claim the draw by clicking the button. The system won't automatically declare a draw.

Please note that it has to be the third repetion of the position.

From the FAQ (on the Help menu):

"Third repetition of a position. If any identical position appears three times during a game, then the game can be claimed as a draw. Please note that e ...[text shortened]... tion has occurred is not possible, unless the same position can be repeated again on a future move."
    Just like OTB.

A 3-fold repetition is not an 'automatic draw'. It must be claimed.
  4. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    16 Feb '22 11:10
    @suzianne said
    Just like OTB.

A 3-fold repetition is not an 'automatic draw'. It must be claimed.
    So, this opponent and I have been moving our kings (only pieces left) for over 50 moves each now, waiting to see what happens... and the conclusion is that nothing is going to happen???

Dear oh dear... wait 'till I tell him!
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    16 Feb '22 11:201 edit
    That plan is to make this automatic ( as it is in the unreleased "new code" ) as it causes endless confusion.
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Feb '22 11:37
    @russ said
    That plan is to make this automatic ( as it is in the unreleased "new code" ) as it causes endless confusion.
    That's against FIDE rules, though.

Then again, doing so for the 5-rep and 75-move rules would not be.
  7. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    16 Feb '22 11:441 edit
    In my opinion, the draw process should be left the way it is.
    If you feel you have a drawn game, CLAIM IT.
    It's already written in the FAQ and seems clear enough to me.
    But you have to read the FAQ.

(However, I believe FIDE has now added automatic draws as follows)
    1. For the 50 move draw, it must be claimed but if not claimed it will be automatically declared after 75 moves.
    2. For the Third repetition of the same repetition draw, it must be claimed, but if not claimed it will be automatically declared at the Fifth repetition.

If you are going to change the code for draws, perhaps this would be a better choice, along with upgrading the FAQ to explain draws.

Just my thoughts on the matter. 🙂

<EDIT>- oops, Shallow Blue beat me to it, but I will leave this as we both have the same idea about changing the rules of chess. Just modify to make it automatic at 75/5, which complies with the FIDE change.
  8. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    17 Feb '22 02:33

Removed by poster

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree