1. SubscriberPachman
    Ghost Eater
    Moves
    01 Mar '20 01:28
    A lot of chess players drink.
    I know I do. 😉
    Why not have a donations option?
    5 buck here 20 bucks there it adds up.
    Grab a few drunks like me who love this website who also hate the fact that 2 other websites are causing chess websites to shut down due to lack of revenue *cough* chess.com and chess24.com *cough*
    and maybe the drunks will donate once in awhile?
    Call them a Patron or give them a special star icon or something ya know?
    Just an idea.
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    02 Mar '20 09:133 edits
    @Pachman
    I have considered Patreon (for many years, in fact) but I'm not sure someone would donate over subscribing. Unless you mean in addition to subscriptions, which I'm not so comfortable with. I'm sure very few people would do both too. But as you say, the drunken chess player...perhaps you are on to something! 🍺

edit : fixed typo - Patreon.
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    02 Mar '20 09:26
    @russ said
    @Pachman
    I have considered Paton (for many years, in fact) but I'm not sure someone would donate over subscribing. Unless you mean in addition to subscriptions, which I'm not so comfortable with. I'm sure very few people would do both too. But as you say, the drunken chess player...perhaps you are on to something! 🍺
    I agree Russ.There are more worthy causes in the world than other chess sites for donations.
  4. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    07 Mar '20 20:16
    Disagree. Lots of donations are made on impulse.

I appreciate the value of this site.

Here's one option: donate for someone who can't afford a membership.

In other words, the owners won't take one penny from donations to themselves. All monies collected would go to other members. How could worthiness be determined? Yeah, that's the rub. How can "need" be validated without inordinate time and invasions of privacy. No kidding. Also, someone is playing in the US and someone is South Sudan and someone is in Somalia and another is in Mali and one is in Sweden . . . just try to calculate the social justice of need.

My recommendation: allow folks to ask for the donation and give it. Creeps may take unfair advantage, kind of like using an engine or sandbagging to help their clan win, right? Gosh, we'll never stop that. Yep, some will take advantage. Let them.

Just my two cents. I know it won't happen. Russ is too smart.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree