1. Exeter
    Moves
    02 May '22 17:14
    I guess I'm not the only person who loves the site, but doesn't love the RHP branding - so I play on dailychess.com.

But if I want to use an app, I have to install the RHP branded app. Could this be addressed in the future?

For now, I'm finding that the mobile site works surprisingly well and actually avoids some of the current issues with the app (eg on mobile site you can skip the game you're on without having to go back to the game list, and you can sort the game list that you're working through. It doesn't get upset reporting network errors if you have dodgy signal on your mobile. And you can use forums...)
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    03 May '22 09:04
    @nick812 said
    But if I want to use an app, I have to install the RHP branded app. Could this be addressed in the future?
    You probably will not be surprised to know his has been considered before - as DailyChess.com is relatively popular as an alternative brand for the site. (I use it myself too since the others were retired )

There are a few caveats - social media authentication (Facebook/Google) are popular on the apps, and they are tied to the RHP app specifically.

Having said that, I will build a DailyChess variant (meaning : conditionally brand the current app, so not too much effort) which uses email login alone - and if it gains traction - then workarounds can be investigated for the authentication issues.

Note : This would be Android only initially.
  3. Exeter
    Moves
    03 May '22 18:52
    @Russ That sounds like a great step in the right direction, though personally I'll need to wait for an iphone version. While talking about the app, when you go into analysis board it starts with the board set at the start of the game, making the user click another button to get the current position. I think the website behaviour is much nicer on the analysis board - to display the current position when it's brought up. Could that be considered as a change?

Also it would be ieally interesting to hear what share of the users play on dailychess vs RHP?
  4. Joined
    28 Apr '22
    Moves
    04 May '22 12:26

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    04 May '22 14:31
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    It will be interesting to see if a Daily Chess branded app gets traction though, so it is worth the small investment of time to experiment.
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    20 May '22 16:381 edit
    I'm just finishing up the latest Android build (probably the last 4.x version, other than bug fixes, before a major UI update).

This version includes a skip game button, among other things, that have been recently requested.

On Android I have automated nearly the whole process of creating a Daily Chess build of the app, which has been an interesting project in itself, so that will be going to beta soon.

If successful, I will attempt the same on iOS too.
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    24 May '22 09:591 edit
    The store images are out of date, but this is now live on Android - but consider it a beta version :

Daily Chess Android App

The RHP branded version of this build (4.8.0) will be going through a normal beta process before being pushed out to all devices.

(Note : The few existing reviews/store images are from an earlier experiment in 2017 and need an update.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree