1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Feb '22 18:45
    https://www.engadget.com/firefox-and-chrome-versions-100-may-break-some-websites-085422307.html

What do you think of this, Russ?

Is RHP ready for this?
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    17 Feb '22 18:47
    I caught this story earlier elsewhere - but there is no issue for RHP as we do not change our content based on the browser used - everyone gets the same.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention though.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Mar '22 05:01
    @russ said
    I caught this story earlier elsewhere - but there is no issue for RHP as we do not change our content based on the browser used - everyone gets the same.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention though.
    So you don't track browser version numbers?
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Mar '22 13:11
    @suzianne said
    So you don't track browser version numbers?
    Even then, why would the specific first-level number matter? You track the whole version, not just the main one.
  5. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    02 Mar '22 17:16
    @suzianne said
    https://www.engadget.com/firefox-and-chrome-versions-100-may-break-some-websites-085422307.html

What do you think of this, Russ?

Is RHP ready for this?
    Just want to say, despite everything, that was considerate of you.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Mar '22 09:44
    @shallow-blue said
    Even then, why would the specific first-level number matter? You track the whole version, not just the main one.
    In case you haven't been following this issue, the version numbers of these browsers are now going to be three-digit integers instead of two-digits. This reminds one of the 'Year 2000' issue 20+ years ago. Just tracking these numbers will now involve a larger pre-defined variable type to store that data. And browser version numbers probably aren't tracked by websites down to the number following the second or third decimal point anyways. Why would they need to? The Y2K problem wasn't the month or the day, it was the year that now needed 4 digits to store, rather than a lazy 2. The problem here would be the now 3-digit number if website programmwrs only allocated 2 digits for that version number.

Does it affect all websites? No. This website is probably safer than most in this regard, as the programming is all in-house, and so there is someone right here with detailed knowledge of the programming.
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Mar '22 19:24
    @suzianne said
    In case you haven't been following this issue, the version numbers of these browsers are now going to be three-digit integers instead of two-digits.
    In case you've never worked in computer programming - I do, every day of my life, and I got through the Y2K scare five years before you non-comps were even aware of it, so your condescension falls just a tiny bit flat - nobody but a complete imbecile stores a version identifier in an actual number, let alone in a digit field.

A version identifier, like a phone number, an ISBN, a SSN, and all that kind of thing, is a string, not a number, and nobody who is scared of adding another "digit" should ever be allowed near a code editor.

Seriously. Only in the minds of middle managers and low-level journalists could this possibly be an issue.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree