1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Jun '19 19:191 edit
    3 day 7 day makes for very long games. I would like to see the default set at 1 and 3 day or 1 day and 0 bank.

Most people challenge me with default settings and I do not want to need to trash all such games.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Jun '19 22:401 edit
    @eladar said
    3 day 7 day makes for very long games. I would like to see the default set at 1 and 3 day or 1 day and 0 bank.

Most people challenge me with default settings and I do not want to need to trash all such games.
    I'm pretty sure you realize this is a site for correspondence chess and not blitz, right?

You want more people to timeout to you, right.

People in hell want ice water, too.

DISCLAIMER: Before somebody like divegeester comes stumbling in here to tell me what a horrible person I am for believing in hell, it's just a saying my grandmother used to say, don't get your panties in a twist over it.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Jun '19 22:55
    @Suzianne

1 day a move is blitz?
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Jun '19 18:52
    @eladar said
    @Suzianne

1 day a move is blitz?
    It's less in keeping with correspondence style chess which aims to encourage study of the game.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '19 18:55
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

You could still change to longer settings. Perhaps allow an option for kinds of games a person will accept.
  6. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Jun '19 20:25
    @eladar said
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

You could still change to longer settings. Perhaps allow an option for kinds of games a person will accept.
    I agree that it is important players have a selection of time controls to choose from (as is currently the case) but the current default setting is more in keeping with a correspondent style chess site. I think it's a good thing that players are encouraged (by such a default) to take their time over their moves and so develop their game.

1 day per move games increase the likelihood of timeouts which is fine if both players are really up for that, but a default should really be there for the enjoyment of the majority.
  7. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    18 Jun '19 20:40
    @Eladar
    3/7 is the most popular option out there.
    Stick to preaching in the debates forum.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '19 20:44
    @mghrn55 said
    @Eladar
    3/7 is the most popular option out there.
    Stick to preaching in the debates forum.
    It is the most popular because it is the default.
  9. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    18 Jun '19 23:10
    @eladar said

Is there anything in RHP you actually like?
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '19 23:13
    @roma45

Not you, but yes some things.
  11. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    18 Jun '19 23:18
    @eladar said
    @roma45

Not you, but yes some things.
    3 minutes to reply
    Must be quiet under he bridge tonight..
    Perhaps just pm russ tell him all your good ideas.
    I am sure he will listen to a freeloading moaner...😁
  12. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 11:58
    @eladar said

Could you not just change the time frame to one you prefer and send the challenge back or pm the challenger requesting a different time frame, or even send your own open invite to the challenger?
    Maybe a lot of new players don't realise the time frame is changeable so a more practical suggestion would be no default and allow challengers to select their preferred one from a list.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 14:151 edit
    @venda said
    Could you not just change the time frame to one you prefer and send the challenge back or pm the challenger requesting a different time frame, or even send your own open invite to the challenger?
    Maybe a lot of new players don't realise the time frame is changeable so a more practical suggestion would be no default and allow challengers to select their preferred one from a list.
    If I am making it yes, my problem is with people who challenge me. Atm I am stuck with deleting all challenges because they are all 3 7.

No big deal I suppose. I just do not see why this site is married to 3 7 when it is so easily abused.
  14. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 15:14
    @eladar said
    If I am making it yes, my problem is with people who challenge me. Atm I am stuck with deleting all challenges because they are all 3 7.

No big deal I suppose. I just do not see why this site is married to 3 7 when it is so easily abused.
    How is it being abused?

A default of 1 day per move would result in a number of newbies unwittingly starting games they couldn't keep up with and losing on time. That isn't good for anybody.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 15:25
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    How is it being abused?

A default of 1 day per move would result in a number of newbies unwittingly starting games they couldn't keep up with and losing on time. That isn't good for anybody.
    When you start to lose you stop playing at least one move a day to once every 3 or more days.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree