1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Jul '19 14:02
    @mister-moggy removed their quoted post
    At your level, your problem is probably just board vision as well as leaving pieces unprotected.
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    08 Jul '19 15:54
    @eladar said
    At your level, your problem is probably just board vision as well as leaving pieces unprotected.
    You have a good point there....Neither you or I would see the board like an expert player would. We have a lot of blind spots when looking at a game until they are pointed out to us.

-VR
  3. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Jul '19 16:26
    @very-rusty said
    You have a good point there....Neither you or I would see the board like an expert player would. We have a lot of blind spots when looking at a game until they are pointed out to us.

-VR
    A thing that improved my game was to take a moment to consider what function a piece was performing before moving it. For example, was it covering a pawn or preventing my opponent from advancing something nasty? Sounds obvious, but sometimes moving or advancing a piece can leave a flaw in our own defenses.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Jul '19 19:33
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    When I say board vision I mean looking at all the pieces not simply the immediate 3 by 3 or 4 by 4 region of interest.

Check all files, ranks and all diagonals as well as checking all checks. Do that and you will stop making as many mistakes and see more targets.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    08 Jul '19 21:54
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    A thing that improved my game was to take a moment to consider what function a piece was performing before moving it. For example, was it covering a pawn or preventing my opponent from advancing something nasty? Sounds obvious, but sometimes moving or advancing a piece can leave a flaw in our own defenses.
    I often will get too many games going at one time. Lets keep in mind I play on 3 different chess sites. I am cutting back my games for starters. I know one of my blind spots is my diagonals which was pointed out to me by my friend who is close to expert and has beaten experts.

I also sometimes will make a move which actually helps opponent more than myself. Most embarrassing is leaving my Q hanging. I try to sometimes think too many moves ahead and move the wrong piece first. I've been told I should sit on my hands and when I see a good move make sure it is a good one and try to find a better one before making a move.

My rating was once 1669 over the board which I know is only average, but I am now well below it. I think mostly to game load and moving too fast. One thing you were right about is I do play too many games at once. Also you are just seeing the ones on this site, not the other two sites I play on.

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree