1. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    08 May '19 17:29
    @very-rusty said
    I don't think he wants to block threads, just certain people like me for example.

Remember the programme someone made so they wouldn't see Grampy Bobby posts? If that was still kicking around, that is all he/she would need. I don't know how good it actually worked out as one would miss alot of what was being said and not understand why certain things were said. Never made much sense to me at the time, but that is just me!!! 😉

-VR
    That was a javascript written by a site member. It wouldn't work now because the site doesn't use java any more.
  2. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    09 May '19 00:09
    @eladar said
    But still I would think it cool if I did not need to see posts from certain people.
    I get what you are saying, especially as other sites have mute or ignore buttons.

But if such a feature is never implemented here, such occurrences could be seen as opportunities for personal practice.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 May '19 15:50
    @kewpie said
    That was a javascript written by a site member. It wouldn't work now because the site doesn't use java any more.
    Ahhhh....I see so could a new script be written on what the site now uses?

-VR
  4. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    13 May '19 03:291 edit
    @very-rusty said
    Ahhhh....I see so could a new script be written on what the site now uses?

-VR
    Yeah, I think greasemonkey or one of the advanced ad-blockers might be able to do it, but the scripter would need to have some knowledge of RHP's CSS elements and regular expressions.

Or one might consider that certain at-first-glance unsavory characters might really just be reaching out for some faint taste of social or sensual communion or validation or some other gratification in the only way they know how.

And who would we be to deny them this meager hint of pleasure?

Also, and sincerely: Vive La Neurodiversité!
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    14 May '19 04:051 edit
    Greasemonkey and Javascript can be used to tinker with any website, even one that does not, itself, use Javascript.

Javascript is a language all good browsers know by heart. [However, the GreaseMonkey extension is only on Firefox (AFAIK) and Google Chrome has TamperMonkey, which generally runs any script that works on GM (with some minor limitations)].

I'm one of the people who has written such scripts in the past. I quit doing it because I got tired of having to fix them every time Russ made a site update and broke them. Also, because more and more people are using mobile devices for everything, and GM is mainly for desktops.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree