1. Upstate NY
    Moves
    10 Nov '18 12:07
    On the upload page (profile settings), an image with max dimensions of 1800 x 1100 is specified. In addition to maximum size, I think it would be helpful to also specify the ideal size (aspect ratio) for the banner; the ideal size is not 1800 x1100. If one uploads a full 1800x1100, then a significant portion of the image is cropped vertically. However, if I tried uploading a smaller image (e.g., 1800x200) then the image is scaled and pixellated.

So, what is the ideal image size to upload so as to fill the banner at full resolution without unintended cropping or scaling??
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Nov '18 13:50
    @gedwin said
    On the upload page (profile settings), an image with max dimensions of 1800 x 1100 is specified. In addition to maximum size, I think it would be helpful to also specify the ideal size (aspect ratio) for the banner; the ideal size is not 1800 x1100. If one uploads a full 1800x1100, then a significant portion of the image is cropped vertically. However, if I tried uploadin ...[text shortened]... size to upload so as to fill the banner at full resolution without unintended cropping or scaling??
    Now that's a good question.

I've wondered the same about the Clan banner on the Clan home page.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    11 Nov '18 07:26
    @gedwin

It is also cropped differently depending on what device and screen resolution you have (e.g., mobile device, desktop monitor, etc.).
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    11 Nov '18 09:092 edits
    PS I have created a banner which shows exactly what is being cropped or stretched: a checkerboard pattern of 100x100-pixel black and white squares, exactly 1800x800 pixels. See my own profile banner.

Anyone who wants to use this as a template to get his own banner properly cropped, PM me and I'll email you the file.
  5. Upstate NY
    Moves
    11 Nov '18 13:042 edits
    @moonbus Your grid is helpful for understanding how this works - thanks!

When I view your grid in your profile, I see black vertical bars on either side that appear to be ~100 pixels. I think this is because your template is 800 in vertical rather than 720.

Here's how I am interpreting:
    I think it may be best to upload the full 1800 x 720, so as to avoid those black bars and always to fill full width. However, one should expect that the vertical cropping will happen equally from the top and bottom of the image, so make sure you center the most important part of the image within the 720 vertical pixels.

This way, on all devices, you should get the full width displayed and then you'll get the central portion of the image with top/bottom cropped by some amount (by the site) depending on the device.

Makes sense now that (I think) I understand, but again going back to my initial post, perhaps the prompt on the settings page could make this a bit more clear to avoid this trial and error learning?
  6. Upstate NY
    Moves
    11 Nov '18 13:09
    I just noticed an error in my first post in this thread: the site suggests 1800x720 for the banner image (not 1800x1100 as I wrote).
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    11 Nov '18 13:38
    @gedwin said
    @moonbus Your grid is helpful for understanding how this works - thanks!

When I view your grid in your profile, I see black vertical bars on either side that appear to be ~100 pixels. I think this is because your template is 800 in vertical rather than 720.

Here's how I am interpreting:
    I think it may be best to upload the full 1800 x 720, so as to avoid those black b ...[text shortened]... prompt on the settings page could make this a bit more clear to avoid this trial and error learning?
    It has been trial and error for me, too, and my banner is cropped differently on each of my several devices, which include iPhone, iPad, Toshiba notebook, and three different desktop computers, some with vertical monitors and others with horizontals.

Yes, I too see the vertical black bars left and right on some of my computers, but not on the iPhone. Go figure.

It would appear that the RHP server is cropping the image differently ad hoc, depending on browser and screen resolution settings, per http session. We could test this by changing the screen res. on the monitor and logging on to see whether this affects the cropping.

PM me if you would like to use my checkerboard grid as a template. I'll email it you, if you wish.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree