1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 21:03
    @whodey
    If you launch two powerful laser beams side by side into space, they don't attract one another.

If you launch two well collimated neutral beams of matter into space, they will attract each other and combine eventually into one beam because the mass of the beam bends spacetime whereas photon beams are incapable of doing that showing photons have zero mass.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 21:36
    @whodey said
    Which is a better statement, we are made of photons/atoms?

I assume atoms are "created/manufactured" after the photons "transition".
    We are not "made of photons," nor "made of atoms," nor "made of photons/atoms." Atoms are not "created/manufactured after the photons (sic) transition" (whatever that means).

I suggest you learn about physics before questioning basic physics knowledge.
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 07:53
    @sonhouse said
    @whodey
    If you launch two powerful laser beams side by side into space, they don't attract one another.

If you launch two well collimated neutral beams of matter into space, they will attract each other and combine eventually into one beam because the mass of the beam bends spacetime whereas photon beams are incapable of doing that showing photons have zero mass.
    I don't think this is right. It's energy-momentum density that appears in the Einstein Field equations so the curvature tensor will be non-zero in the region the laser light is passing through. So there should be a gravitational field. We know gravitational fields affect the path light takes as one of the confirmed predictions of General Relativity. So I think they'll attract each other.
  4. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    20 Feb '19 06:47
    @whodey
    I don't know exactly what is it. Anyone can help me?
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Feb '19 16:34
    @DeepThought
    Well it would not be the mass of the photons causing any intersection, that would be due to gravitational lensing. If the light beams came from inside a large gravitational field aimed outwards, I would think the opposite would happen, again not due to mass effects but due to the curvature of space.
    If you could do a multi-billion year experiment with two laser beams side by side and just aimed them out into space, say in a direction that would allow the beams to go into intergalactic space, the beams could diverge and come together many times on its way to the visible edge of the universe. Still having nothing to do with photons being massless.
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '19 22:43
    @sonhouse

http://www.desy.de/user/projects/Physics/Relativity/SR/light_mass.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree