1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    02 Nov '19 10:44
    @humy said
    I don't recall the last time I ever mentioned the heat island effect, which I extremely rarely mention, so you are talking made up crap (lies) in a futile attempt to mislead people by deflecting with obvious moronic irrelevancies from answering my questions that prove you are wrong and a moron. You convince nobody here.

Back to where we where, which obviously wasn't the rrele ...[text shortened]... r refusal to answer this question only proves you know you are wrong but not man enough to admit it.
    "Given its not only temperature that effects the sea level but various other factors (tides, storm-surges, glaciers sliding from land into sea, tectonic movements, etc) how is DIRECT temperature measurements NOT a better gauge to temperature increase than sea level rise?"

Tectonic movements are already taken into account. Not that you alarmists don't falsely blame tectonic plate movements on sea level rise. Explain why tides, storm-surges and glaciers sliding from land into sea effects sea level rise. You need to prove what you claim. Your failure to do that says a lot about you. Your refusal to answer this question only proves you know you are wrong but not man enough to admit it.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    02 Nov '19 10:54
    @humy said
    I don't recall the last time I ever mentioned the heat island effect, which I extremely rarely mention, so you are talking made up crap (lies) in a futile attempt to mislead people by deflecting with obvious moronic irrelevancies from answering my questions that prove you are wrong and a moron. You convince nobody here.

Back to where we where, which obviously wasn't the rrele ...[text shortened]... r refusal to answer this question only proves you know you are wrong but not man enough to admit it.
    You don't ever bring it up. You post articles that are based on the heat island effect and pretend it isn't BS data to mislead. You may not even know it has flawed heat island effect data until I point it out. You don't read it carefully to know these things. You let people like me waste my time reading it and finding out.

Why do you think I insist on sea level data? You keep wasting my time with articles based on the heat island effect. Then you search for another article with the same confirmation bias and it has the same flawed BS! You never read it yourself. Why would you do that when you can waste my time finding out it is more BS crap?

Aside from China building man made islands and insignificant stuff like that, only warming causes sea level rise. Your assertion otherwise is a lie and nothing less. You have resorted to insulting the intelligence of the entire science forum. Do you think we are all stupid?
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    02 Nov '19 11:01
    @handyandy said
    I believe that the human impact on the environment is more significant than you realize.
    I believe you cannot prove that. I gave you the sea level data so you can attempt to prove your case and you didn't even try. You could be honest with yourself and admit sea level rise is normal and expected. Did you look at the long term graph from NASA I posted? Do you not accept what you see with your own eyes?
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    02 Nov '19 11:236 edits
    @metal-brain said
    You post articles that are based on the heat island effect
    Nope. Examples? Prove it by quoting from my weblinks...
    Obviously, very few if any of the weblinks I have given even mentioned the heat island effect (or imply the equivalent) so you are just lying as usual.
    Most (often all) of the temperature data used for global temperatures doesn't come from urban areas precisely because of the known heat island effect.
    Also, the many DIRECT temperature measurements over whole oceans that show a clear rise in the average global ocean temperatures (that also prove you wrong) obviously cannot be accounted for by the heat island effect as they are GLOBAL as in span the whole globe. How do you explain away THAT data?
  5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    02 Nov '19 13:304 edits
    @metal-brain said
    only warming causes sea level rise.
    Just for starters, have you ever heard of something called "tides";
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tide
    "...Tides are the rise and fall of sea levels caused by the combined effects of the gravitational forces exerted by the Moon and the Sun, and the rotation of the Earth.
    ..."
    Although the effect of tides on sea level rise is obviously only temperary, that effect nevertheless still proves your above assertion simply wrong and it also proves there CAN be and IS another cause to sea level rise not temperature related.

But regarding causes of more long-lasting changes in sea level;
    Also, although warming IS the main cause of sea level rise (and before you do yet another one of your STUPID moronic straw man, I NEVER said/implied the contrary), contrary to your above assertion, its certainly NOT the ONLY cause which is only one of the reasons why DIRECT temperature measurements are ALWAYS more accurate and reliable measure of temperature rather than STUPIDLY trying to measure temperature only by sea level rise alone, which is what you propose. There are OTHER long-lasting effects on sea level rise such as land glaciers sliding faster into oceans or huge lakes draining into oceans or groundwater pumped up for human use over most of the world ending up in oceans etc.
    Here is just one example of the later and what the science says;

https://phys.org/news/2016-05-groundwater-contribute-sea.html
    "...Land water contributions are small in comparison to the contribution of ice melt and thermal expansion, yet they have been increasing, leading to concerns that this could exacerbate the problem of sea level rise caused by climate change.
    groundwater contribution to sea level will increase as groundwater extraction increases.
    ..."

So that clearly proves your assertion of "only warming causes sea level rise" wrong because the above example of world wide groundwater extraction is ANOTHER example of something that can contribute to sea level rise and logically must have ALREADY done so. If you deny this, explain to us scientists here the physics of how groundwater extraction does NOT contribution to sea level rise!...
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    02 Nov '19 14:04
    @humy said
    Just for starters, have you ever heard of something called "tides";
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tide
    "...Tides are the rise and fall of sea levels caused by the combined effects of the gravitational forces exerted by the Moon and the Sun, and the rotation of the Earth.
    ..."
    Although the effect of tides on sea level rise is obviously only temperary, that effect neve ...[text shortened]... cientists here the physics of how groundwater extraction does NOT contribution to sea level rise!...
    Temporary is irrelevant and groundwater is negligible, like man made islands. You are wrong and just not wise enough to give up.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    02 Nov '19 14:05
    @humy said
    Nope. Examples? Prove it by quoting from my weblinks...
    Obviously, very few if any of the weblinks I have given even mentioned the heat island effect (or imply the equivalent) so you are just lying as usual.
    Most (often all) of the temperature data used for global temperatures doesn't come from urban areas precisely because of the known heat island effect.
    Also, the many DIR ...[text shortened]... heat island effect as they are GLOBAL as in span the whole globe. How do you explain away THAT data?
    Your weblinks are worthless. Provide a peer reviewed article that confirms your assertions. Gossip isn't proof.
  8. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    02 Nov '19 19:2112 edits
    @metal-brain said
    Your weblinks are worthless. Provide a peer reviewed article that confirms your assertions.
    The content of all my websites have been peer reviewed.
    That's because the contents consist of published data and published scientific facts and findings that have been analysed scrutinized and re-checked by thousands of scientists and then confirmed by yet more studies.
    That's because that's just the way REAL science works.
    groundwater is negligible
    Its calculated effect on future sea level rise might not be completely negligible according to several published peer reviewed scientific studies, one of which I already posted (see above), from scientists that know much more about the relevant sciences than you. And, negligible or not, it proves your assertion wrong.
    Thermometers and other direct temperature measurements are a much more reliable indicator of temperature than ignoring direct temperature measurements and only moronically judging temperature indirectly from the current sea level.
    Obviously, the reason why you reject direct temperature measurements is because they prove you wrong and us scientists right and not because they don't better indicate the temperature than sea level does because that's just a completely STUPID idea of yours.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    02 Nov '19 19:49
    @humy said
    The content of all my websites have been peer reviewed.
    That's because the contents consist of published data and published scientific facts and findings that have been analysed scrutinized and re-checked by thousands of scientists and then confirmed by yet more studies.
    That's because that's just the way REAL science works.
    groundwater is negligible
    Its cal ...[text shortened]... indicate the temperature than sea level does because that's just a completely STUPID idea of yours.
    Obviously, the reason why you reject sea level measurements is because they prove you wrong and us scientists right. Sea level rise is caused by temperature rise. I provided you with a peer reviewed article from a respected science journal. Even your groundwater article said it was less than previously calculated. It is negligible.

I know it pains you to admit you are wrong, but it is already apparent to anyone with common sense.
  10. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    02 Nov '19 21:05
    There seems to be more heat than light in this discussion. Beyond the upsurge in sea level, too many other factors (notably, the unprecedented levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere) are being ignored.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    02 Nov '19 23:47
    @handyandy said
    There seems to be more heat than light in this discussion. Beyond the upsurge in sea level, too many other factors (notably, the unprecedented levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere) are being ignored.
    So you are conveniently ignoring sea level rise because it doesn't support your bias? I'm not surprised. Next.
  12. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    03 Nov '19 02:01
    @metal-brain said
    So you are conveniently ignoring sea level rise because it doesn't support your bias? I'm not surprised. Next.
    Bias toward what? Sea level rise is a symptom, not a cause.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '19 07:041 edit
    @handyandy said
    Bias toward what? Sea level rise is a symptom, not a cause.
    This warming trend started before the industrial revolution from natural causes. That natural trend is simply continuing. Sea level data supports that.

If you look at the long term graph from NASA I posted you will see there is no correlation between sea level rise and CO2 increase. If you can't believe your own eyes I doubt anything will convince you.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Nov '19 19:02
    @Metal-Brain
    It is you who can't believe evidence, PEER REVIEWED evidence, before your eyes.
    It is you who have extreme bias, much more interested in tearing down hundreds of years of science rather than building a consensus.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '19 19:25
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    It is you who can't believe evidence, PEER REVIEWED evidence, before your eyes.
    It is you who have extreme bias, much more interested in tearing down hundreds of years of science rather than building a consensus.
    You never posted peer reviewed evidence. You are making a false claim. I posted peer reviewed evidence and you posted some false assertions from joke websites like skeptical science.

Peer review is the standard. Either admit that and use it to prove your assertions or admit you are wrong.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree