1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    21 May '20 15:105 edits
    I was initially very skeptical of this theory because I initially found it pretty hard to imagine to be true but apparently it does appear to be supported by some really good explinations of how this could be true involving known physics and geology and some perfectly sound computer simulations;

YouTube

Note on edit error to the title of this thread:
    I somehow misheard the video the first time I run it and the video actually says as little as about 750 million years ago there may have existed oceans on Venus, NOT as little as about 15 million years ago like I have suggested in the title of this thread. At least that now makes it just a bit easier to imagine how it could be true!
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 May '20 22:13
    @humy
    So suppose it was an asteroid and on the opposite side the coup was completed with massive volcanic activity. I wonder if we could ever find bits and pieces of that collision that made it here to Earth? And the possibility there was life ATT and some of the microbes were blasted into space and landed here.
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    23 May '20 15:25
    I have just watched this video that explains how its tidal effects with the Sun could have indirectly caused it to lose any water oceans it may have once had;

YouTube
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 May '20 19:08
    @humy
    So it sounds like for analysis of exoplanets, we just figure out the temperature and we know if it is like Venus. Assuming we get good enough technologically to do that, it would have to be direct measurements not just saying it is X distance from its parent star and the star puts out Y luminosity, that would just be a theoretical calculation.
  5. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 May '20 20:39
    @sonhouse said
    @humy
    So suppose it was an asteroid and on the opposite side the coup was completed with massive volcanic activity. I wonder if we could ever find bits and pieces of that collision that made it here to Earth? And the possibility there was life ATT and some of the microbes were blasted into space and landed here.
    I would think the possibility would be very very low for material exchange from a single event. But we've had eukaryotes here for at least 2.5 billion years, so if there was life on Venus prior to the asteroid strike, life may have been teeming on both planets for over a billion years. The chance of biological exchange of material I think would be high over that long a time frame.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 May '20 23:53
    @wildgrass
    There is a theory life is still around Venus but way up in the Venus' atmosphere, like 80 km or so up. Just some thin evidence but a probe could get samples there and return to Earth. Wouldn't it be a blast if they retrieved some microbes there that had OUR kind of DNA, proving life on our two planets had a common evolution or passing of microbes between the planets?
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 May '20 00:19
    @sonhouse said
    @humy
    I wonder if we could ever find bits and pieces of that collision that made it here to Earth?
    The "iridium layer" is probably the only materiel you'll find from that.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 May '20 00:21
    @wildgrass said
    I would think the possibility would be very very low for material exchange from a single event. But we've had eukaryotes here for at least 2.5 billion years, so if there was life on Venus prior to the asteroid strike, life may have been teeming on both planets for over a billion years. The chance of biological exchange of material I think would be high over that long a time frame.
    If life with similar DNA evolved on Venus and Earth isn't it more
    likely that both were "seeded" by a comet? (ie meteor showers)
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 May '20 00:45
    @wolfgang59
    Or even more expansively, from the cosmic cloud that rammed into our solar system seeding the whole place with prebiotics.
    I and a lot of other folks would love to find life on Europa or Enceladus, and finding THAT life with our kind of DNA. The thing about that is life most likely would be way underwater in a subsurface ocean and that would have pushed back the arrival of prebiotics by billions of years.

Pure speculation of course but wouldn't that be a blast?
  10. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 May '20 21:42
    @wolfgang59

What are the odds that the same meteor shower would hit both planets? At their closest, they're 38 million kilometers from each other.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 May '20 00:08
    @wildgrass said
    @wolfgang59

What are the odds that the same meteor shower would hit both planets? At their closest, they're 38 million kilometers from each other.
    Meteor showers are created by the Earth's orbit passing
    through the debris from a comet. Since the Earth, Venus
    and most comets orbit in approximately the same plane
    I would imagine that Venus has meteor showers from
    the same comets as we do. So a certainty.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 May '20 09:17
    @wolfgang59
    With the variable that it is the size and mass of the incoming that determines if it survives the flight through the atmosphere. Here we have a dilemma, in that Earth clocks in around 15 PSI at ground level and Venus clocks in more like 1500 PSI, like the inside of a new bottle of nitrogen.

So it stands to reason if two meteors of the same mass hit Earth and the second one hit Venus, which meteor would you think stands a better chance of getting to the ground?

At least that is the situation today. Maybe a billion years ago, if their hypothesis is correct, the Venus' atmosphere would perhaps have been in pressure at least, more like Earth. In that case the two meteors mentioned would have roughly equal chances of hitting the ground.

But today? Said meteors I imagine would have to be massed a hundred times higher to penetrate the thick atmosphere of Venus.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Jun '20 21:47
    @sonhouse said
    @wolfgang59
    With the variable that it is the size and mass of the incoming that determines if it survives the flight through the atmosphere. Here we have a dilemma, in that Earth clocks in around 15 PSI at ground level and Venus clocks in more like 1500 PSI,
    Well, as you say that is now.
    Four billion years ago?

Besides, I was addressing the question of life being seeded from a comet.
    If such a comet contained "life" and was in a similar orbital plane to Venus
    and Earth then both would experience meteor showers from that comet's
    debris. Regardless of the relative probabilities of meteorites surviving, both
    planets could be seeded. Venusians could have been our distant cousins.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree