1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    26 Dec '20 16:40
    YouTube

An experiment indicates that even a thin layer of this complex chemical compound would give good protection from X-rays!
    But this video says nothing about gamma ray protection making me left wondering whether it is possible to design a similar complex chemical compound that even in just a thin layer would give good protection from gamma rays.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Dec '20 17:39
    @humy
    I think the problem there is gamma wavelength is so much smaller than X rays, those waves just pass through the gap between the orbitals and the nucleus.
    To such radiation, the atoms might as well not be there

"Gamma rays are the form of electromagnetic radiation with the most energy and the tiniest wavelength. They are defined as waves with a period (wavelength) of less than 1 picometer, which is 0.001 nanometers. By comparison, the diameter of a hydrogen atom is 50 picometers. Therefore the wavelength of gamma radiation is by definition subatomic."
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    03 Jan '21 17:581 edit
    @humy said
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I50EEKzrOd4

An experiment indicates that even a thin layer of this complex chemical compound would give good protection from X-rays!
    But this video says nothing about gamma ray protection making me left wondering whether it is possible to design a similar complex chemical compound that even in just a thin layer would give good protection from gamma rays.
    Interesting research. However until we get hands on a ream a lot of time will go. As of yet it was a quite limited study with bacteria. Lets see if they get it up into space, and then look at what happens with the stuff on any kind of skin. (Note: Even though we need Se it is not healthy in large doses...
    Edit large doses would be a daily intake of more than 45 µg, which is not much.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree