1. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    03 Apr '20 19:06
    @eladar said
    If you are looking at all of your games, then no that is not a statistic. A statistic is based on knowing only some sample. If you have everything, then you have a census and is true by simple observation.

Stats are used when you only know a part of the story and you want to know what is likely to be true of the entire story.
    We're talking about two different things here.
    The dictionary definiton of statistics is"A fact in the form of a number that shows information about something"
    What you two are debating is apparently calledinferental statistics.
    I didn't know such a thing existed so at least I have learned something!!
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '20 19:31
    @joe-shmo said
    Well, then it is some misunderstanding. It seems as though we are mixing and matching the use of the terms Confidence Interval and Confidence Level. Under the Interpretations Section:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confidence_interval#Meaning_and_interpretation

"If the true value of the parameter lies outside the 90% confidence interval, then a sampling event has occur ...[text shortened]... s within the interval (i.e., a 95% probability that the interval covers the population parameter). "
    You see there is only one correct parameter. The interval you find has either a probability of 1 or 0 of actually containing the parameter.

If you could calculate all 90 percent confidence intervals, 90 out of every hundred would contain the parameter you are trying to estimate.

I suppose you could say that the interval has a 90 percent chance of correctly estimating the parameter. It is the interval itself you are talking about, not the chance that the probability the correct parameter is in it.

I think the major contention in how things are said is that once you have that interval, the probability that this interval contains the true number is either 0 or 1, either it does or it does not.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '20 19:33
    @venda said
    We're talking about two different things here.
    The dictionary definiton of statistics is"A fact in the form of a number that shows information about something"
    What you two are debating is apparently calledinferental statistics.
    I didn't know such a thing existed so at least I have learned something!!
    Thanks for pointing out the implied word that should not be overlooked.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Apr '20 22:092 edits
    I threw around the word residual, but did not define it. The residual is the correction required to calculate the actual data from the model prediction.

If the model predicts 10 but the residual is -1.5 then the true value for that data point is 8.5.

It is calculated by actual data value minus the model value at that point.

If you have a ti, then the residuals are automatically calculated after you find your regression equation, to see them assuming you used L1 and L2, go to the title of L3, the actual L3 above the data box, then 2nd stat and choose RESID, then enter. L3 should be populated with the residuals.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree