1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 May '20 16:56
    It has long been known that silver kills viruses. Read this long thing if you like.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5799856/

The long and the short of it is that indeed nano silver does stop viruses. It stops them from attaching to your cells, it destroys them after they do attach.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    14 May '20 23:18
    It's good against werwolves as well. I took a look at the abstract, I was aware of its use a pre-penicillin cure for the clap, but wasn't aware it was effective against viruses. I'm somewhat skeptical since if it is effective against a wide range of microbiological entities then it's potentially effective against the patient. If it turns out covid-19 can get past the blood-brain barrier, which I think there's some evidence for in some cases, then it may be a help in those cases. For everyone else preventing cytokine storm seems to be the thing.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 May '20 00:45
    Perhaps werewolves were a representation of disease.

There is a reason why the rich ate with silver spoons.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    15 May '20 22:53
    @eladar said
    Perhaps werewolves were a representation of disease.

There is a reason why the rich ate with silver spoons.
    Basically that reason is that bronze and iron corrode. Silver tarnishes in a way that's easy to clean. It's not to do with disease.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 May '20 22:571 edit
    @deepthought said
    Basically that reason is that bronze and iron corrode. Silver tarnishes in a way that's easy to clean. It's not to do with disease.
    Silver prevents growth of viruses and bacteria. It has a definite health benefit.

Most spoons were made of wood.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 May '20 05:05
    @Eladar

Ok, so we bow down to your highly superior knowledge. Now what?
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 May '20 05:26
    @sonhouse

Learn, perhaps make an application, and appreciate the additional knowledge.
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    16 May '20 10:29
    @eladar said
    Silver prevents growth of viruses and bacteria. It has a definite health benefit.

Most spoons were made of wood.
    There's two problems with this, the first is that it's not obvious what the evidential basis for the claim that "Most spoons were made of wood" is. The Wikipedia article relies on the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica, which gives an etymology as its evidence [1]. It states that in the medieval period most spoons were cow horn or wood. However it also gives metals as the material used in the Roman era. Since Europe never regressed as far back as the stone age after the collapse of the Roman Empire it strikes me as likely that a society capable of making swords in copious quantities could make brass and iron spoons. The Encyclopedia Britannica gives a 19th Century reference and their methodology wasn't necessarily that good. I'd like to know what the evidential basis for the notion that peasants did not have metal spoons for eating with.

Wooden spoons now are used during cooking and this would be the case in the past, even in Royal households. No one would use a silver spoon for cooking because of its thermal conductivity. Which leads me on to the second problem. Medieval Kings were not going to have much concern about the antibacterial properties of silver prior to the germ theory of disease or discovery of microorganisms. The dominant theory of disease at the time was the miasma theory and silver had no particular role in that. The reason medieval nobility prized silver artifacts is the same reason we do now.

[1] https://en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/1911_Encyclop%C3%A6dia_Britannica/Spoon
    [2] See C. J. Jackson, " The Spoon and its History," in Archaeologia (1892), vol. liii.; also Cripps, Old English Plate.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 May '20 16:30
    @DeepThought

Ok cow horn then too. Thanks for the info.

Of course cow horn does not kill viruses and bacteria as silver does. Or am I incorrect?
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    16 May '20 16:59
    @eladar said
    @DeepThought

Ok cow horn then too. Thanks for the info.

Of course cow horn does not kill viruses and bacteria as silver does. Or am I incorrect?
    I shouldn't have thought so.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 May '20 18:223 edits
    @DeepThought
    I thought it was copper that was anti bacterial and maybe anti viral.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/copper-virus-kill-180974655/

From this piece:
    "Copper’s Virus-Killing Powers Were Known Even to the Ancients
    The SARS-CoV-2 virus endures for days on plastic or metal but disintegrates soon after landing on copper surfaces. Here’s why:
    When researchers reported last month that the novel coronavirus causing the COVID-19 pandemic survives for days on glass and stainless steel but dies within hours after landing on copper, the only thing that surprised Bill Keevil was that the pathogen lasted so long on copper.

Keevil, a microbiology researcher at the University of Southampton (U.K.), has studied the antimicrobial effects of copper for more than two decades. He has watched in his laboratory as the simple metal slew one bad bug after another. He began with the bacteria that causes Legionnaire's Disease and then turned to drug-resistant killer infections like Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). He tested viruses that caused worldwide health scares such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and the Swine Flu (H1N1) pandemic of 2009. In each case, copper contact killed the pathogen within minutes. "It just blew it apart," he says.

In 2015, Keevil turned his attention to Coronavirus 229E, a relative of the COVID-19 virus that causes the common cold and pneumonia. Once again, copper zapped the virus within minutes while it remained infectious for five days on surfaces such as stainless steel or glass.
    “One of the ironies is, people [install] stainless steel because it seems clean and in a way, it is,” he says, noting the material’s ubiquity in public places. “But then the argument is how often do you clean? We don’t clean often enough.” Copper, by contrast, disinfects merely by being there.
    Ancient Knowledge
    Keevil’s work is a modern confirmation of an ancient remedy. For thousands of years, long before they knew about germs or viruses, people have known of copper’s disinfectant powers. "Copper is truly a gift from Mother Nature in that the human race has been using it for over eight millennia," says Michael G. Schmidt, a professor of microbiology and immunology at the Medical University of South Carolina who researches copper in healthcare settings.

The first recorded use of copper as an infection-killing agent comes from Smith's Papyrus, the oldest-known medical document in history. The information therein has been ascribed to an Egyptian doctor circa 1700 B.C. but is based on information that dates back as far as 3200 B.C. Egyptians designated the ankh symbol, representing eternal life, to denote copper in hieroglyphs.
    As far back as 1,600 B.C., the Chinese used copper coins as medication to treat heart and stomach pain as well as bladder diseases. The sea-faring Phoenicians inserted shavings from their bronze swords into battle wounds to prevent infection. For thousands of years, women have known that their children didn't get diarrhea as frequently when they drank from copper vessels and passed on this knowledge to subsequent generations. "You don't need a medical degree to diagnose diarrhea," Schmidt says.
    And copper’s power lasts. Keevil’s team checked the old railings at New York City’s Grand Central Terminal a few years ago. "The copper is still working just like it did the day it was put in over 100 years ago," he says. "This stuff is durable and the anti-microbial effect doesn't go away."

The East Tower of the Royal Observatory, Edinburgh. The contrast between the refurbished copper installed in 2010 and the green color of the original 1894 copper is clearly seen. (Wiki Commons)
    Long-Lasting Power

What the ancients knew, modern scientists and organizations such as the Environmental Protection Agency have confirmed. The EPA has registered about 400 copper surfaces as antimicrobial. But how exactly does it work?
    Heavy metals including gold and silver are antibacterial, but copper’s specific atomic makeup gives it extra killing power, Keevil says. Copper has a free electron in its outer orbital shell of electrons that easily takes part in oxidation-reduction reactions (which also makes the metal a good conductor). As a result, Schmidt says, it becomes a “molecular oxygen grenade.” Silver and gold don’t have the free electron, so they are less reactive.
    Copper kills in other ways as well, according to Keevil, who has published papers on the effect. When a microbe lands on copper, ions blast the pathogen like an onslaught of missiles, preventing cell respiration and punching holes in the cell membrane or viral coating and creating free radicals that accelerate the kill, especially on dry surfaces. Most importantly, the ions seek and destroy the DNA and RNA inside a bacteria or virus, preventing the mutations that create drug-resistant superbugs. “The properties never wear off, even if it tarnishes,” Schmidt says."

Noting that article, why is silver a better conductor than copper, doesn't it have to have that extra electron also?
  12. Joined
    01 May '20
    Moves
    16 May '20 18:591 edit
    Invest in silver!
    Medical uses and technology uses and jewelry and it's cheap!
    About 15 bucks an ounce 🤔
  13. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    16 May '20 19:24
    @eladar said
    It has long been known that silver kills viruses. Read this long thing if you like.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5799856/

The long and the short of it is that indeed nano silver does stop viruses. It stops them from attaching to your cells, it destroys them after they do attach.
    maybe you should tell trump
    I'm sure he'll tout it
    people will soon be eating their silverware
  14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    16 May '20 19:31
    @sonhouse said
    @DeepThought
    I thought it was copper that was anti bacterial and maybe anti viral.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/copper-virus-kill-180974655/

From this piece:
    "Copper’s Virus-Killing Powers Were Known Even to the Ancients
    The SARS-CoV-2 virus endures for days on plastic or metal but disintegrates soon after landing on copper surfaces. Here’s why:
    Wh ...[text shortened]... cle, why is silver a better conductor than copper, doesn't it have to have that extra electron also?
    This is from the Wikipedia page on Silver:
    Silver is similar in its physical and chemical properties to its two vertical neighbours in group 11 of the periodic table, copper and gold. Its 47 electrons are arranged in the configuration [Kr]4d¹⁰5s¹, similarly to copper [Ar]3d¹⁰4s¹ and gold [Xe]4f¹⁴5d¹⁰6s¹; group 11 is one of the few groups in the d-block which has a completely consistent set of electron configurations.
    So they all have that s¹ electron, what makes them different is the inner shells. What is more the outer electron in silver and gold will be more mobile than in copper because of shielding effects. I suspect the article writer hadn't done some basic checking there. I don't know why copper is more effective, but since your copy & paste implies that it is copper ions that do the damage - I'm going to make a guess that since copper has a lower atomic mass it's less of a problem for the ions to exit the overall lattice structure and that's the source of it's anti-microbial action.

The future is steam-punk!
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 May '20 19:31
    @lemondrop

As well as ingesting the nano silver or put in in a vaporizer to inhale it into the lungs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree