1. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    30 Jul '21 13:55
    @eladar said
    Personally, I think that we should outlaw things that when used lead to mental illness.

I can see why you would not mind.
    Yeah but things that kill people like guns are just fine I guess. Idiot!
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '21 14:01
    @kevcvs57 said
    Well I don’t know why your worrying elader that boat has sailed off into the sunset from your perspective.
    Did you read my post? No I don’t want it banned but I think we should look very seriously at restricting juvenile access to the stronger strains and even limiting the amount of active ingredient in commercially available marijuana.
    If you legalize something you increase the number of juveniles who do it. It is a simple fact of life.

With increased drug use you increase social problems like children ending up in the foster system and adults needing psychological help to deal with their addiction.

Of course if we just let people and their offspring suffer the consequences of their decisions I would have no problem with it.
  3. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    30 Jul '21 15:17
    @eladar said
    If you legalize something you increase the number of juveniles who do it. It is a simple fact of life.

With increased drug use you increase social problems like children ending up in the foster system and adults needing psychological help to deal with their addiction.

Of course if we just let people and their offspring suffer the consequences of their decisions I would have no problem with it.
    Well as long as you are banning alcohol, tobacco, prescription painkillers, fast foods and sugary foods as well then go for it because all these things cause diseases and illnesses that impact the public purse
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '21 15:20
    @kevcvs57 said
    Well as long as you are banning alcohol, tobacco, prescription painkillers, fast foods and sugary foods as well then go for it because all these things cause diseases and illnesses that impact the public purse
    40 percent of children in the foster program are there due to drug abuse.

I am not sure how many are there due to Burger King.

To tell you the truth, I do not partake of any of the things you listed.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Jul '21 16:08
    @Eladar
    Ah, so you don't do any of those things because you live on a homestead in Alaska and fish for food and kill bears with your AK47.
    All fresh food for sure. Good for you.
  6. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    30 Jul '21 20:50
    @deepthought said
    A lot of things are "on the rise," however. Autism and ADHD, for instance. But is this a genuine increase in the population, or simply a result of more and better testing being done to detect these conditions?

Or possibly overdiagnosis?
    Yes, I think that is a contributing factor. I'm nearly at the front lines there, as a mathematics professor. The number of accommodation forms I'm receiving from students (for extra exam time or whatever) has been shooting up in recent years, and I'm doubtful of the authenticity of a fair percentage of the cases.

The idea is: Student X has ADHD (or whatever), and therefore X needs twice as much time to complete an exam on account of this diagnosed condition. But really? I observe that many of the students complete their exams just fine in the usual allotted time (a testament to the excellence of my lectures...?), or else they're just not doing the homework and/or have terrible study skills.

The "multitasking generation" is a misnomer. Multitasking is really just half-assed parallel processing, or doing many things poorly at once.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '21 20:56
    @sonhouse said
    @Eladar
    Ah, so you don't do any of those things because you live on a homestead in Alaska and fish for food and kill bears with your AK47.
    All fresh food for sure. Good for you.
    No, I do not do any of those things because I am trying to be a bit healthier these days. Now that the kids are raised and my wife has a job, I have more time and a bit more money to do things for me.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '21 20:58
    @soothfast said
    Yes, I think that is a contributing factor. I'm nearly at the front lines there, as a mathematics professor. The number of accommodation forms I'm receiving from students (for extra exam time or whatever) has been shooting up in recent years, and I'm doubtful of the authenticity of a fair percentage of the cases.

The idea is: Student X has ADHD (or whatever), and th ...[text shortened]... r. Multitasking is really just half-assed parallel processing, or doing many things poorly at once.
    Part of the need for more time stuff comes from more kids are being pushed into college, many of whom would not have gone to college 20 years ago.

At least that is true in the US.
  9. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    30 Jul '21 20:581 edit
    @eladar said

You're lumping too many different drugs into one unnuanced generalization. There's meth, for instance, and then there's marijuana. The impact of the two on the human condition is at least as far apart as alcohol vs. candy, and I'd say that's an understatement. Plus, there's evidence trickling in that legalizing marijuana may be leading to decreased alcohol and opioid use/abuse. Perhaps that's a good thing. In any case no one is advocating for legalizing weed for children (except possibly for very specific medical conditions like epilepsy).

In many (if not most) cases it's the legal penalties for experimenting with marijuana that destroys a kid's life, and not the experimentation itself. Drug use should not be a matter for cops and courts, but rather for health care and social services.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '21 21:01
    @soothfast said
    You're lumping too many different drugs into one unnuanced generalization. There's meth, for instance, and then there's marijuana. The impact of the two on the human condition is about as far apart as caffeine vs. alcohol. Plus, there's evidence trickling in that legalizing marijuana may be leading to decreased alcohol and opioid use/abuse. Perhaps that's a good thing. ...[text shortened]... r legalizing weed for children (except possibly for very specific medical conditions like epilepsy).
    If you do marijuana are more likely to go on to heavier drugs than those who do not smoke marijuana.
  11. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    30 Jul '21 21:091 edit
    @eladar said
    If you do marijuana are more likely to go on to heavier drugs than those who do not smoke marijuana.
    That's the old "gateway drug" trope, which has, so far, no established basis in scientific fact. Even if an association is established, it does not establish causation. To wit: any kid curious about marijuana will likely be curious about other substances as well, but will start with marijuana* because it's relatively safe and readily available through the black market.

*Actually even this is not really the case. Kids start with alcohol most of the time. Why does booze almost always get a free pass with prohibitionists?
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '21 21:14
    @soothfast said
    That's the old "gateway drug" trope, which has, so far, no established basis in scientific fact. Even if an association is established, it does not establish causation. To wit: any kid curious about marijuana will likely be curious about other substances as well, but will start with marijuana* because it's relatively safe and readily available through the black market.
    ...[text shortened]... alcohol most of the time. Why does booze almost always get a free pass with prohibitionists?
    It is not old gateway drug. It is that druggies do drugs. If kids do not start doing drugs, then they are much less likely to do drugs later.

If a person is going to do drugs, then marijuana is a likely first choice if it is legal or simply if it is easy to get.

The more normalized drug become, the more people will be doing drugs. There will be a corresponding rise in drug related social issues like young children in foster care.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Jul '21 23:53
    @Eladar
    As the gateway drug. All well and good but you have been duped. You say you don't smoke, drink alcohol and such but the real gateway drugs are in fact proven to be tobacco and alcohol, not marijuana.

But I have no doubt you would never believe that and will go on with your tale regardless of the facts.
  14. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    31 Jul '21 09:511 edit
    @eladar said

“ 40 percent of children in the foster program are there due to drug abuse. ”

I think that’s probably your chosen perspective but I’m pretty sure it’s got more to do with cyclical poverty and deprivation and almost nothing to do with marijuana use.
    Try finding out how much of the publicly funded Medicare bill goes toward treating type 2 diabetes and it’s many complications, and that’s just one from my list. You don’t really have a sustainable argument here do you.
  15. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    31 Jul '21 09:54
    @eladar said

“ To tell you the truth, I do not partake of any of the things you listed.”
    That’s not really the point is it?
    The question is how many of those things should made illegal?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree