1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 16:09
    Schizophrenia Linked To Marijuana Use Disorder Is On The Rise, Study Finds

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2021/07/26/schizophrenia-linked-to-marijuana-use-disorder-is-on-the-rise-study-finds/

Maybe if marijuana is going to be used for medical reasons it should be controlled like perscription drugs. Being under a doctor's care where patients can be monitored is safer that simply seeing a doctor once to get your I can buy marijuana card, let alone recreational laws.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 07:53
    @eladar said

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2021/07/26/schizophrenia-linked-to-marijuana-use-disorder-is-on-the-rise-study-finds/

Maybe if marijuana is going to be used for medical reasons it should be controlled like perscription drugs. Being under a doctor's care where patients can be monitored is safer that simply seeing a doctor once to get your I can buy marijuana card, let alone recreational laws.
    People with Schizophrenia who smoke cannabis simply bring out the existing Schizophrenia. This does not happen to people who do not have Schizophrenia, only the people that do.

Misleading articles like that are common. They are the result of anti-cannabis bias.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 11:34
    @metal-brain said
    People with Schizophrenia who smoke cannabis simply bring out the existing Schizophrenia. This does not happen to people who do not have Schizophrenia, only the people that do.

Misleading articles like that are common. They are the result of anti-cannabis bias.
    So if you have it, but is not seen, then do you have it?
  4. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 17:551 edit
    @eladar said

This is a tough issue that has been on the radar of scientists for a long time. My opinion is that the link between schizophrenia and marijuana use is likely due to self-medication, not cause/effect. There are over 100 million marijuana users worldwide. Very few develop schizophrenia.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 18:23
    @wildgrass said
    This is a tough issue that has been on the radar of scientists for a long time. My opinion is that the link between schizophrenia and marijuana use is likely due to self-medication, not cause/effect. There are over 100 million marijuana users worldwide. Very few develop schizophrenia.
    So marijuana is ok because only a small percentage of users develop mental issues.

Funny how views change depending on the subject. If this was about covid vaccines, then the fact that only a small percentage die is a major concern.

In any case, do you agree that those who go to the doctor to get a marijuana card need to be under doctor supervision?
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 18:56
    @Eladar
    Well most people don't DIE from schizoid problems. Covid KILLS but you don't care about that. You just want to throw a monkey wrench into the issue like you are some kind of expert but you really are just another troll.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 19:32
    @sonhouse said
    @Eladar
    Well most people don't DIE from schizoid problems. Covid KILLS but you don't care about that. You just want to throw a monkey wrench into the issue like you are some kind of expert but you really are just another troll.
    So causing mental illness is fine, while death is worse. Got it.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 20:54
    @Eladar
    I guess you have to make your choice. Bad brain like you or die from Covid. Take your pick🙂
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 20:58
    @sonhouse said
    @Eladar
    I guess you have to make your choice. Bad brain like you or die from Covid. Take your pick🙂
    Personal attacks? Say it is not so. Well at least while you are here people in real life do not need to be around you.
  10. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 21:35
    @eladar said

In actual fact no causality has been established by that study, nor any other study that I'm aware of. That aside, I do wonder about the long-term effects of marijuana on those who start taking it heavily when their brains are not yet fully developed, which (surprisingly) is around age 25. If there is some causality present, perhaps the phenomenon will turn out to be largely restricted to the sizable population who are heavy users in their teenage years or early twenties.

A lot of things are "on the rise," however. Autism and ADHD, for instance. But is this a genuine increase in the population, or simply a result of more and better testing being done to detect these conditions? Last I checked we do not have an answer to this.
  11. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 22:12
    @eladar said
    So marijuana is ok because only a small percentage of users develop mental issues.

Funny how views change depending on the subject. If this was about covid vaccines, then the fact that only a small percentage die is a major concern.

In any case, do you agree that those who go to the doctor to get a marijuana card need to be under doctor supervision?
    No I was saying there is no cause/effect relationship.
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 22:04
    @soothfast said
    In actual fact no causality has been established by that study, nor any other study that I'm aware of. That aside, I do wonder about the long-term effects of marijuana on those who start taking it heavily when their brains are not yet fully developed, which (surprisingly) is around age 25. If there is some causality present, perhaps the phenomenon will turn out to be larg ...[text shortened]... ter testing being done to detect these conditions? Last I checked we do not have an answer to this.
    A lot of things are "on the rise," however. Autism and ADHD, for instance. But is this a genuine increase in the population, or simply a result of more and better testing being done to detect these conditions?

Or possibly overdiagnosis?
  13. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    30 Jul '21 11:57
    @eladar said
    So causing mental illness is fine, while death is worse. Got it.
    Lol Å·es mental health issues are preferable to death.
    But I think it’s a serious issue and caused by a combination of much stronger strains of marijuana and a fall in the average age of the user I think the effects of stronger marijuana on younger brains have been considered an issue for a while.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '21 12:04
    @kevcvs57 said
    Lol Å·es mental health issues are preferable to death.
    But I think it’s a serious issue and caused by a combination of much stronger strains of marijuana and a fall in the average age of the user I think the effects of stronger marijuana on younger brains have been considered an issue for a while.
    Personally, I think that we should outlaw things that when used lead to mental illness.

I can see why you would not mind.
  15. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    30 Jul '21 13:53
    @eladar said
    Personally, I think that we should outlaw things that when used lead to mental illness.

I can see why you would not mind.
    Well I don’t know why your worrying elader that boat has sailed off into the sunset from your perspective.
    Did you read my post? No I don’t want it banned but I think we should look very seriously at restricting juvenile access to the stronger strains and even limiting the amount of active ingredient in commercially available marijuana.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree