1. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 May '22 09:04
    It's not just James Webb which is doing well: the Event Horizon telescope just created the first picture of Saggitarius A*, the supermassive black hole at the centre of our galaxy.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/may/12/supermassive-black-hole-centre-milky-way-first-time-sagittarius-a-
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 May '22 09:07
    @shallow-blue said
    It's not just James Webb which is doing well: the Event Horizon telescope just created the first picture of Saggitarius A*, the supermassive black hole at the centre of our galaxy.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/may/12/supermassive-black-hole-centre-milky-way-first-time-sagittarius-a-
    I did see this, the composite photo looks amazing.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 May '22 16:13
    @Suzianne
    Webb scope will not be able to do anything like that image because the baseline of the collective scopes is the size of our whole planet because radio waves can be combined to one image. Optical scopes can do something like that also but for only a few hundred yards max so far. That image is something like nanoarcsecond or so I think.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 May '22 14:56
    @sonhouse said
    @Suzianne
    Webb scope will not be able to do anything like that image because the baseline of the collective scopes is the size of our whole planet because radio waves can be combined to one image. Optical scopes can do something like that also but for only a few hundred yards max so far. That image is something like nanoarcsecond or so I think.
    I'm waiting for Emily Litella-MetalBrain to show up in here asking us why we have to imagine something, why can't we just look at it?
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    15 May '22 00:32
    I was wondering who Sag was and why her a* was of so much interest.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 May '22 17:02
    @Suzianne
    I wonder if folks understand it is the dark circle in the middle that is the actual BH? the light shown in the patches around that circle is the stuff falling into the drain of the universe which is the actual black hole which will take some kind of magic science to actually visualize.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree