1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    05 Apr '20 06:549 edits
    https://techxplore.com/news/2020-04-italy-doctors-sleek-robots.html

As AI technology greatly improves, I bet this will eventually become the norm in all hospitals with nearly all if not all the work being done by robot doctors and nurses and with very few if any human one's.

In fact, I think that human labor will not only be replaced by robots in all hospitals but also in all factories mines power-stations shops supermarkets public-transport-drivers etc. and then society will have no choice but to dump the old work-ethic belief that everyone that can should do paid work because there will be no paid jobs because robots & AIs would then be doing all the otherwise paid jobs for humans.
    This won't stop many people choosing to do some work without pay and for other motives other than pay. In such a society I would still choose to work as a science researcher and wouldn't cure if I didn't get extra income for doing so as opposed to choosing to do no work.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Apr '20 07:38
    Looks like many people will be without jobs with little future.
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    05 Apr '20 08:015 edits
    @eladar said
    Looks like many people will be without jobs with little future.
    you wouldn't necessarily need a paid job to have a good future. It just depends on how society restructures and adapts itself to AI and automations that replace paid jobs; would it be restructured intelligently to allow people to have meaningful lives or will it be restructured stupidly to ignore the new reality by forcing people to look for paid jobs that don't exist and penalizing those that fail to obtain them?
    As I said, I and many other people would happily choose to do some work for no extra income and I don't see the problem with that.
    One way for society to be restructured intelligently is for it to have a universal citizen's income for everyone and is automatically given to everyone regardless of whether they work or choose to not do voluntary work while being able to work (so none of that 'signing on as unemployed' crap or filling in huge social security forms etc)
  4. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    05 Apr '20 10:10
    @humy said

As AI technology greatly improves, I bet this will eventually become the norm in all hospitals with nearly all if not all the work being done by robot doctors and nurses and with very few if any human one's.

In fact, I think that human labor will not only be replaced by robots in all hospitals but also in ...[text shortened]... er and wouldn't cure if I didn't get extra income for doing so as opposed to choosing to do no work.
    Physical health presentations come with complex emotional and behavioural needs which vary greatly from one patient to another. Nurses not only manage these issues by what they do, there is also a being with factor that would be impossible to replace since you simply would not be being with other human beings at a time of need. There was an interesting interview with a nurse on the news who was clearly struggling with the way that PPE might impair the being with aspect of her role.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    05 Apr '20 15:23
    @petewxyz said
    Physical health presentations come with complex emotional and behavioural needs which vary greatly from one patient to another. Nurses not only manage these issues by what they do, there is also a being with factor that would be impossible to replace since you simply would not be being with other human beings at a time of need. There was an interesting interview with a nurse ...[text shortened]... ews who was clearly struggling with the way that PPE might impair the being with aspect of her role.
    There was a story on the BBC website about a nurse who was thanked by a patients family because she sat with an elderly patient as she died. A machine can't do that. In health machines can reduce human workload and make some tasks manageable, but it'll be a long time before they'll replace basic nursing or diagnosis.
  6. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    05 Apr '20 15:39
    @humy said

In fact, I think that human labor will not only be replaced by robots in all hospitals but also in ...[text shortened]... er and wouldn't cure if I didn't get extra income for doing so as opposed to choosing to do no work.
    Which leads us to the main question: When robots can do the work of 95% of the population, why would the elites need to keep 95% of humanity around to clutter the planet?
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    05 Apr '20 15:554 edits
    @bunnyknight said
    Which leads us to the main question: When robots can do the work of 95% of the population, why would the elites need to keep 95% of humanity around to clutter the planet?
    Who are these "elites"? Are you talking here about the robots and/or AIs or the super-rich humans that own some of the means of production being these "elites"? And how and why might they strive to eliminate 95% of humanity? Would this motivation be purely all about money and maximizing profit?
  8. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    05 Apr '20 16:312 edits
    @humy said
    Who are these "elites"? Are you talking here about the robots and/or AIs or the super-rich humans that own some of the means of production being these "elites"? And how and why might they strive to eliminate 95% of humanity? Would this motivation be purely all about money and maximizing profit?
    I'm talking about the billionaire families, of course. You know, those that own the best real estate, the biggest corporations, and most of the politicians.
    The same people that start wars for profit, and sell weapons for profit.
    Put yourself in their shoes: Once robots are able to provide you with food, construction, and most of the labor, why would you want all those extra people around? They will be volatile, dangerous, needy, hard to control,and prone to terrorism and revolutions.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Apr '20 17:16
    @bunnyknight said
    I'm talking about the billionaire families, of course. You know, those that own the best real estate, the biggest corporations, and most of the politicians.
    Put yourself in their shoes: Once robots are able to provide you with food, construction, and most of the labor, why would you want all th ...[text shortened]... d? They will be volatile, dangerous, needy, hard to control,and prone to terrorism and revolutions.
    Humy believes that the masses are in control. He believes the tripe he is being fed.
  10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    05 Apr '20 17:277 edits
    @bunnyknight said
    Put yourself in their shoes: Once robots are able to provide you with food, construction, and most of the labor, why would you want all th ...[text shortened]... d? They will be volatile, dangerous, needy, hard to control,and prone to terrorism and revolutions.
    Even if most of those politicians and billionaire families etc want to kill the rest of us, and most wouldn't be psychopathic enough to want to let alone seriously plan it for real because most people, even they, are NOT psychopaths, I don't see how it would be credible for them to arrange that.
    It would require an illegal and extremely evil huge mass conspiracy amongst them to occur first and, because they certainly aren't ALL psychopathic monsters, many wouldn't agree and thus many would warn everyone else of such a conspiracy thwarting their plans for mass murder.
    And how would they manage to kill most of humanity without likely harming themselves in the process? Germ warfare? Nuclear? I see no practical means.

I should also point out that, and partly because of automation greatly reducing the demand for human labor, there is ALREADY and long has been a large proportion of the human adult population that are long term unemployed with little prospect of them ever going to paid work; So why haven't those politicians and billionaire families etc ALREADY killed off those 'useless' people? ('useless' because they don't contribute to profits) I mean, what's the hold up? Why wait until the higher proportion of the population is 'useless' before committing mass murder of all the 'useless' proportion?
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Apr '20 18:22
    @humy said
    Even if most of those politicians and billionaire families etc want to kill the rest of us, and most wouldn't be psychopathic enough to want to let alone seriously plan it for real because most people, even they, are NOT psychopaths, I don't see how it would be credible for them to arrange that.
    It would require an illegal and extremely evil huge mass conspiracy amongst them to ...[text shortened]... tion of the population is 'useless' before committing mass murder of all the 'useless' proportion?
    A trusting serf.
  12. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    05 Apr '20 18:551 edit
    @humy said
    It would require an illegal and extremely evil huge mass conspiracy amongst them to ...[text shortened]... tion of the population is 'useless' before committing mass murder of all the 'useless' proportion?
    First: Anyone engaging in business of selling weapons while stirring-up conflicts and wars is at best a borderline psychopath.

Second: There are many ways to decrease the population and get away with it -- such as starting a war and blaming it on someone else, or starving a nation with sanctions, or .... use your imagination. But you certainly wouldn't want to go around killing your own citizens on the streets; that would be too obvious and cause a violent backlash.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 08:28
    @bunnyknight said
    Like when that damn Spinning Jenny arrived!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree