1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Jun '21 15:48
    So here we have a nice article with good science done:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-06-biological-links-red-meat-colorectal.html

In short they find that the consumtpion of red meat leads to the alkylation damage (in fact it is the nitroso-compounds found there which cause the effect).

It seems that 150 g/day red meat is a level where you can expect this to happen (depending on your personal condition of course).

Lets see if there will be some follow up for that.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Jun '21 16:041 edit
    @Ponderable
    I have given up on beef for the most part. I went to the store yesterday, saw the prices and was glad that I have.

Here is a tid bit about red meat and your kindeys

People consuming the highest amounts of red meat had a 40 percent increased risk of developing end-stage kidney disease, compared with people who ate the lowest amounts, the study found. No association was found with poultry, fish, eggs or dairy products, while soy and legumes appeared to be slightly protective.

---Here is an explation why...

Wesson explains that when humans eat animal proteins such as red meat, the body metabolizes these proteins into acids. The kidneys produce substances to help the body rid itself of this acid, but these substances can hurt kidney function if they remain at high levels in the body over long periods of time.
  3. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    19 Jun '21 17:21
    @Eladar

That's very interesting. I have read many times that in a battle against cancer it is important to try and keep the body as alkaline as possible, and that to come off meat altogether is a good strategy. Your post appears make sense of that direction.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Jun '21 17:40
    @medullah

I think that red meat is the biggest offender. I read other links that said pork, chicken and fish do not have the same bad effect as red meat.

Personally, I have started eating wild caught Alaskan Salmon for lunch almost everday and only consume beef at most once or twice a week. Pacific Salmon does not have as long as life cycle as Atlantic salmon so not as much of a mercury risk.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Jun '21 17:41
    @medullah said
    @Eladar

That's very interesting. I have read many times that in a battle against cancer it is important to try and keep the body as alkaline as possible, and that to come off meat altogether is a good strategy. Your post appears make sense of that direction.
    What I do now is to try to study the blue zones and their diet and lifestyle. Im not saying scientific research has no value but that it is always a learning and a modifying of previously made statements. In India for instance the incidence of cancer is very low. There is a high % of vegetarians there . In the Mediterranean area of Europe [a blue zone] there are many meat eaters and the incidence of cancer is also very low. Its worth checking out why.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Jun '21 17:53
    @Rajk999

Lots of things come into play. There is daily exercise, the types of oil and spices we consume as well as natural vitamin D production based on the type of sunlight available.

But this thread was just about red meat.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Aug '21 17:16
    @Eladar
    Does that mean meat like lamb also? or pork?
  8. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    18 Aug '21 20:41
    I stopped eating meat 4 years ago and I'm still alive now..
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Aug '21 22:12
    @sonhouse said
    @Eladar
    Does that mean meat like lamb also? or pork?
    All meats are acidic when digested, but beef is the worst.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Aug '21 10:30
    @Eladar
    Why would acidity have anything to do with morbidity?
    The stomach is full of hydrochloric acid to digest food.
    I know red meat is bad for you if you eat too much of it but it seems to me there is more going on than just the idea of a PH level as a cancer cause.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Aug '21 23:37
    @sonhouse

The stomach acid stays in the stomach, the acid from red meat is in the blood stream.
  12. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    19 Aug '21 23:46
    @eladar said
    All meats are acidic when digested, but beef is the worst.
    I didn't know that , thanks, and it ties in with other stuff that i have read
  13. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    19 Aug '21 23:50
    @Rajk999

It is well documented how the beneficial lifestyles of the Europeans can be. My in-laws are from Scotland (Europeans) but eating square sausage like my BIL does just can't be good for the arteries.
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '21 10:10
    I think how much of a risk for cancer there is for eating meat depends on your diet in general, not just the consumption of one food type. If you eat meat with potatoes and drink milk it might counter the risk factors for example. Somebody created a thread about it a while back, but forgot the term associated with this affecting risk. I recall noticing that I like to eat potatoes with meat and I drink milk with every meal and that theoretically helped according to what I looked up.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Sep '21 10:42
    It also depends on what the animals you are eating were exposed to.

Wild animals are generally healthier for you than those raised on corn and pumped with hormones and antibiotics.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree