1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Aug '18 15:16
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-08-probiotic-link-brain-fogginess-severe.html

We (Wife and I) started taking probiotics and it seems to have helped my wife who had major intestinal surgery but now have some problems to look forward too.....
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    06 Aug '18 16:47
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-08-probiotic-link-brain-fogginess-severe.html

We (Wife and I) started taking probiotics and it seems to have helped my wife who had major intestinal surgery but now have some problems to look forward too.....
    I eat yogurt sometimes for temporary regularity, but most experts say a diverse diet is a good way to get the useful bacteria in your gut and that probiotics are mostly hype.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Aug '18 16:51
    Originally posted by @metal-brain
    I eat yogurt sometimes for temporary regularity, but most experts say a diverse diet is a good way to get the useful bacteria in your gut and that probiotics are mostly hype.
    The problem seems to be if the bacteria get into the small intestine, probiotic bacteria are meant for the large intestine, just guessing but it sounds like large/small, small is maybe 75% of the total length of intestines.
    The problem might be due to the way probiotics are packaged, that is they get coated with some kind of chemical resisting stomach acids so survive to get into the large intestines but perhaps they survive long enough to enter the small intestines. Just a guess.
  4. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    27 Sep '18 04:481 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    The problem seems to be if the bacteria get into the small intestine, probiotic bacteria are meant for the large intestine, just guessing but it sounds like large/small, small is maybe 75% of the total length of intestines.
    The problem might be due to the way probiotics are packaged, that is they get coated with some kind of chemical resisting stomach ac ...[text shortened]... rge intestines but perhaps they survive long enough to enter the small intestines. Just a guess.
    Food enters the duodenum, or small intestine, after it leaves the stomach. The large intestine, or gut, presents as the final stage of digestion/absorption.

Try an antacid about 30 minutes prior to consuming a probiotic. This is a good way to mitigate the gastric HCL.

Replacing the intestine's natural bacterial flora is relatively important after completion of any antibiotic regime.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Sep '18 20:14
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    Food enters the duodenum, or small intestine, after it leaves the stomach. The large intestine, or gut, presents as the final stage of digestion/absorption.

Try an antacid about 30 minutes prior to consuming a probiotic. This is a good way to mitigate the gastric HCL.

Replacing the intestine's natural bacterial flora is relatively important after completion of any antibiotic regime.
    That's a good idea. One thing I noticed after a month on this stuff is my poop is almost diarrhea like. Don't know if that is good or bad.

One thing I wondered about this: If these bugs were destined for the large intestine, the big one just before you poop it out, why not do those probiotics as a suppository or enema? Seems like more direct and avoiding all the problems of the digestive tract.
    Stick the damn thing up your butt and let it go from there. I suppose it would be a hard sell though. Can you imagine the ads on TV?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree