1. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    21 Mar '20 00:40
    It is within the realm of possibility that this virus arrived on Earth via outer space.. It's a proven fact that bacteria have survived inside asteroids.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Mar '20 00:46
    @ogb
    But a virus is not strictly speaking alive and they deteriorate in a few days outside of a cell because the cell is forced to reproduce more virus particles like taking over a 3D printer to produce what it wants.
    It seems to me a virus would not be able to survive asteroid or comet hits. Probably bacteria also.
    What I CAN see is prebiotic molecules already produced in nebula which sprout from novae and the cloud just keeps expanding and producing prebiotic stuff, that stuff can survive going through an earthlike atmosphere.
    Just one possible route to kick start life on Earth and elsewhere and of course pure speculation ATT.
  3. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    21 Mar '20 02:06
    @ogb said
    It is within the realm of possibility that this virus arrived on Earth via outer space.. It's a proven fact that bacteria have survived inside asteroids.
    It's far more plausible that it was lab-made.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    21 Mar '20 08:54
    It's not from space and it's not artificial. Coronavirus is part of a genus not just an isolated species. The source is bats not biological warfare laboratories.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Mar '20 13:23
    @DeepThought
    But conspiracy nuts will never accept that just like the bunch of idiots thinking the moon landing was fake. I suspect on that front 50 years from now when we have colonies on the moon there will still be folks saying the moon landings in 69 were faked even with HD TV covering the footprints of the astronauts.
  6. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    21 Mar '20 16:39
    @sonhouse said
    @DeepThought
    But conspiracy nuts will never accept that just like the bunch of idiots thinking the moon landing was fake. I suspect on that front 50 years from now when we have colonies on the moon there will still be folks saying the moon landings in 69 were faked even with HD TV covering the footprints of the astronauts.
    So it's impossible for the virus to be engineered? Really? How can you be certain? Several weeks ago a genetic scientist reported that the virus was basically a standard virus with an HIV component attached. Perhaps he was lying, perhaps not. How could anyone possibly prove it wasn't created? And what about the motive for this? I can think of a dozen motives right off the top of my head.

As for conspiracies, every war since at least 1950 was based on lies, another words - C O N S P I R A C I E S ! Anyone capable of starting a war for profit based on a lie could be capable of anything, thus making a moon landing conspiracy seem trivial by comparison. It's just basic, unbiased logic.
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Mar '20 16:44
    @ogb said
    The stupid... it hurts!
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Mar '20 20:17
    @bunnyknight
    So given a new virus just how would you go about proving it was engineered or not? You don't think the world of life cannot do that on its own? You think every new virus has to be engineered by humans?
  9. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    21 Mar '20 20:51
    @sonhouse said
    @og

What I CAN see is prebiotic molecules already produced in nebula which sprout from novae and the cloud just keeps expanding and producing prebiotic stuff, that stuff can survive going through an earthlike atmosphere.
    Just one possible route to kick start life on Earth and elsewhere and of course pure speculation ATT.
    Yes I agree via a Gamma Ray Burster
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Mar '20 23:55
    @ogb
    I know of no bacteria surviving in a comet strike or asteroid strike. First you have to show those objects HAVE bacteria and THAT would be Nobel prize time. Then would it be based on our DNA or some other shape? All kinds of implications for a discovery like that, same with finding bacteria on Mars or Europa.
  11. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    22 Mar '20 01:54
    @sonhouse said
    @bunnyknight
    So given a new virus just how would you go about proving it was engineered or not? You don't think the world of life cannot do that on its own? You think every new virus has to be engineered by humans?
    "You think every new virus has to be engineered by humans?"
    I never said such a silly statement ... it's a ridiculous thing to say.

That scientist who carefully examined this particular virus said that the probability that it naturally evolved so quickly was impossible, thus it was most likely man-made. That's all.
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    22 Mar '20 02:21
    @bunnyknight said
    So it's impossible for the virus to be engineered? Really? How can you be certain? Several weeks ago a genetic scientist reported that the virus was basically a standard virus with an HIV component attached. Perhaps he was lying, perhaps not. How could anyone possibly prove it wasn't created? And what about the motive for this? I can think of a dozen motives right ...[text shortened]... thus making a moon landing conspiracy seem trivial by comparison. It's just basic, unbiased logic.
    There is evidence that it came from bats. There is no evidence that it was genetically engineered. That I cannot prove that it was not genetically engineered does not entail that that idea should be given credence.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    22 Mar '20 03:051 edit
    @deepthought said
    There is evidence that it came from bats. There is no evidence that it was genetically engineered. That I cannot prove that it was not genetically engineered does not entail that that idea should be given credence.
    What evidence? Saying something is likely is not really evidence. I posted an article from the journal nature that makes it clear there is no conclusive evidence it came from bats.

Never underestimate human error.

https://www.fredericknewspost.com/news/health/fort-detrick-lab-shut-down-after-failed-safety-inspection-all/article_767f3459-59c2-510f-9067-bb215db4396d.html
  14. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    22 Mar '20 03:41
    @deepthought said
    Really? So if some famous, highly paid "expert" says that there is no evidence that it was genetically engineered, that's the end of the argument, and all other theories and discoveries need to be suppressed and ignored?
    That type of a conclusion is neither science nor logic ... it smells more like a cover-up.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Mar '20 04:17
    @bunnyknight
    No, just some assshole trying to get in front of yet another stupid conspiracy which many people will UNDOUBTEDLY jump on immediately. Probably get a million hits before morning.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree