1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    03 Jan '22 11:45
    I am always surprised when small molecules are created, which have been said to be impossible to exist.

https://www.pnas.org/content/119/1/e2111938119

Teh article reports the synthesis of Methanediol, and its caharcterization. The molecule could play a role in the chemistry of the high atmospehere and its infrered signature had been found earlier.

Of course the molecule is highly instable, authors give the lifetime as above 7 Mikroseconds at 200 K...
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Jan '22 16:09
    @Ponderable
    Can it exist at lower temperatures? maybe longer lifetime at 100K? All the way to TEN microseconds🙂
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    06 Jan '22 17:35
    @sonhouse said
    @Ponderable
    Can it exist at lower temperatures? maybe longer lifetime at 100K? All the way to TEN microseconds🙂
    It can most probably exist...the trick is to make it in the first place and you need some energy to do it, so unless you make two interesting radicals store them don to very low temperature and then mate them...But that is awfully difficult to mke one molecule at a time.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Jan '22 17:39
    @Ponderable
    I wonder if some variation of CVD or molecular beams could work?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree