1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 14:56
    all other superconductors have 1/2 spins so a new direction for research even though they still have to get within a hairs breath of zero Kelvin.

https://www.sciencealert.com/physicists-have-found-an-entirely-new-type-of-superconductivity
  2. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    19 Apr '19 17:40
    Hopefully it affects the use/price of silver?
    I know silver is the best conductor of heat and electricity or does this science have nothing to do with silver and I'm just hoping? ๐Ÿค”
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Apr '19 18:52
    @chessturd said
    I know silver is the best conductor of heat and electricity or does this science have nothing to do with silver and I'm just hoping? ๐Ÿค”
    When did you take science classes? Silver is NOT the best conductor of heat. Diamond is the best of the natural stuff. There are better man made deals like heat pipes but diamond does the absolute best at conducting heat. Now in fact they are making thin film diamond coatings that connect transistors to heat sinks that connects the heat from the high power transistors to the heat sink much better than the rubberized heat sink conductors of the past 30 years and heat sink compound. I know a bit about that because I work on those kind of things and have been for 60 years. I saw the transistor era start. I saw the first Sputnik when I was a teenager in Anchorage, Oct. 4 1957. I grew up with the changes of technology we live with daily now.
    Silver has nothing to do with superconductivity. If all the wires of the high tension lines were made of silver the amount of energy loss might go down from 7 percent as it is now to 6 %, not a huge deal. Of course we can't do that since silver is about 50 bucks an ounce. Now we just load up the lines with huge cables made of aluminum, not the best conductor, copper is far better but we couldn't afford to build the 3000 mile long lines with copper, there isn't enough in the whole world to do that but there is abundant aluminum so we make due with what we have.
    It's a matter of making the wires a bit thicker to bring down the resistance so if it takes a copper wire one inch thick to conduct X amount of current, we just make the aluminum cable an inch and a half thick and it still weighs less than the copper it replaces. For high frequency conduction, like microwave frequencies on circuit boards and conducting high frequency signals like microwave or higher, we use silver coated copper because high frequency signals fly on mainly the outside coating of wires and not much actual power is conducted in the center of the wire. The same goes for wave guides, the best way to conduct RF at super high frequencies. If the inside of the wave guides are coated with silver, it conducts more power than one say made of steel or copper or aluminum. Do you know what a wave guide is? If not I can link you to a site, assuming you give a shyte๐Ÿ˜‰
  4. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    19 Apr '19 20:18
    LoL
    No thanks.
    I was just hoping it affected silver.
    A lot of new green tech has to do with silver like solar panels and computers/cellphones and electric cars etc etc.
    Silver is 15 an ounce American.
    Was 50 back in 2011 and 1980.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Apr '19 20:30
    @chessturd said
    LoL
    No thanks.
    I was just hoping it affected silver.
    A lot of new green tech has to do with silver like solar panels and computers/cellphones and electric cars etc etc.
    Silver is 15 an ounce American.
    Was 50 back in 2011 and 1980.
    Yeah, I figured out I was wasting my time. Won't make that mistake again.
  6. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    19 Apr '19 22:29
    The 1st moon landing was fake!
    ๐Ÿ˜‰
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '19 12:41
    @sonhouse said
    When did you take science classes? Silver is NOT the best conductor of heat. Diamond is the best of the natural stuff. There are better man made deals like heat pipes but diamond does the absolute best at conducting heat. Now in fact they are making thin film diamond coatings that connect transistors to heat sinks that connects the heat from the high power transistors to the ...[text shortened]... inum. Do you know what a wave guide is? If not I can link you to a site, assuming you give a shyte๐Ÿ˜‰
    Stop being so condescending. Even I didn't know that diamonds conduct heat so well. I once thought that there was a correlation between electric conduction and heat conduction and there might be generally but there are exceptions and diamonds is one of them.

https://www.thoughtco.com/diamond-a-conductor-607583
  8. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    20 Apr '19 13:41
    @sonhouse said
    all other superconductors have 1/2 spins so a new direction for research even though they still have to get within a hairs breath of zero Kelvin.

https://www.sciencealert.com/physicists-have-found-an-entirely-new-type-of-superconductivity
    The original source:
    https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/4/4/eaao4513

This is open source so you can read and understand without the science journalists (mis)conceptions.

So we do have superconducitivity which is caused by electron pairs (called Cooper pairs ). What we are talking about is the spin of the elctrons in the Cooper pairs.
    Electron always have spins with factors of 1/2 (there is no spinless electron). High spin orders are normally not very stable. That the investigated Material (YPtBi) however has so called Bloch electrons with a stable Spin of 3/2.

Now superconductivity was observed at 0.8 K. This was unexpected. Especially since the Material has a cubic crystal structure which makes the fomation of cooper-pairs not likely.
    The result is explained by other pairings which are interesting from a matter-structiure point of view.

No better superconductors are expected to become available via this meachnism, so hold your horses.
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    20 Apr '19 13:421 edit
    @chessturd said
    How much silver is traded and how much silver is used in which application? So what is the buffer capacity of the market?

Your question has no relevance to science. It could have a flleeting connection to economics.
    Most US citizens are seen as people whise purpose in life is to make money.
    The question is what to do with that money, but here we are in morals and that would be discussed in the philosophy club for example.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Apr '19 17:29
    @metal-brain said
    Stop being so condescending. Even I didn't know that diamonds conduct heat so well. I once thought that there was a correlation between electric conduction and heat conduction and there might be generally but there are exceptions and diamonds is one of them.

https://www.thoughtco.com/diamond-a-conductor-607583
    Electrical conduction requires the presence of charge carriers so metals, with free electrons tend to conduct electricity well. The valance electrons behave roughly like a gas in a box and can transfer heat through the metal. Heat transfer can happen through lattice vibrations - phonons. In a crystal there basically aren't any charge carriers, so heat conduction is mediated by phonons. How well a substance conducts heat depends on how effective each of the channels are at transfering heat through the material.
  11. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    20 Apr '19 19:4511 edits
    @metal-brain said
    Even I didn't know that diamonds conduct heat so well.
    It has long been very common knowledge among science experts including myself and Sonhouse, that diamond is by very far one of the best conductors, beating every metal including silver and, less well known but still widely known and excluding superconductors, only known to be beaten by certain forms of carbon nanotubes and pure graphene along its plane but not perpendicular to its plane. Thus your "Even I didn't know..." part of your quote there just confirms to us not only how ignorant you are of science (no shame in that) but, much more significantly, how delusionally arrogant you are to think you know as much about science as the science experts (shame in that). I have news for you; it is NO SURPRISE to us and SHOULDN'T be that you didn't know. Guess why?
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '19 21:59
    @humy said
    It has long been very common knowledge among science experts including myself and Sonhouse, that diamond is by very far one of the best conductors, beating every metal including silver and, less well known but still widely known and excluding superconductors, only known to be beaten by certain forms of carbon nanotubes and pure graphene along its plane but not perpendicular to i ...[text shortened]... hat). I have news for you; it is NO SURPRISE to us and SHOULDN'T be that you didn't know. Guess why?
    Common for some I suppose. I feel comfortable not knowing everything. Nobody can know everything.
  13. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    21 Apr '19 05:40
    @metal-brain said
    I feel comfortable not knowing everything.
    So do us all. Pity you apparently don't feel comfortable not knowing what we do.
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    21 Apr '19 11:01
    @humy said
    So do us all. Pity you apparently don't feel comfortable not knowing what we do.
    So you expect me to want to do what you do so I know the same things you do? I don't.
    If everyone knew the same things what would the world be like? Primitive I would think. I am very comfortable knowing different things than others, especially you. That is a good thing, not a bad thing.
  15. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    21 Apr '19 11:48
    @metal-brain said
    So you expect me to want to do what you do so I know the same things you do?
    No. I expect you to continue to think you know things you don't.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree