1. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 Nov '19 05:31
    The interesting thing is that it appears to have been walking upright about 12 million years ago. This is 6 million years before humans and chimpanzees diverged. This puts the cat among the pigeons as far as the evolution of humans is concerned. Based on what the article says they had similar feet to ours, so is this a result of convergent evolution or is the human evolutionary story about to be turned upside down?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50305423
  2. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '19 16:11
    @DeepThought

Here's a more detailed writeup: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-03347-0

The interpretation provided is that modern apes have developed highly specialized locomotion compared to common ancestors. The article refers to this finding as evidence of a unique category of locomotion that doesn't exist among extant species. At the evolutionary branch point, movements may have been more general.
    ...these apes show a hotchpotch of skeletal adaptations, with features found in combinations that are unlike anything we see in living primates, and that often leave us guessing about how these animals moved around and how much time they spent in trees or on the ground.

I think it's mostly consistent with existing ideas about human evolution, but provides additional evidence regarding the origins of bipedalism. Very interesting study.

as an aside, it annoys me when pop science news articles fail to link or cite their source material. Although they did provide some quotes from the lead auther Dr. Bohme, BBC should know better.
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Nov '19 05:41
    @wildgrass
    Thanks for the link. That makes more rather more sense.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Nov '19 18:27

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Nov '19 18:56

6. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Nov '19 19:00

7. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Nov '19 19:04

8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Nov '19 20:35
    @wildgrass
    I wonder if they will figure out if there were lineages stemming from that group or if the line went extinct before adding to the tree?
  9. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '19 19:28
    @sonhouse said
    @wildgrass
    I wonder if they will figure out if there were lineages stemming from that group or if the line went extinct before adding to the tree?
    That would probably require a few more specimens, but it's certainly possible.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree