Six nitrogen atoms in an ionic bond, hard to do:

https://phys.org/news/2019-11-stabilize-pure-polymeric-nitrogen-plasma.html
  2. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    15 Nov '19 04:05
    @sonhouse
    So, basically they've discovered a clean liquid fuel, similar to alcohol, but with far greater energy density ... am I close? I'll believe it when I see it; and I hope they're careful and don't blow themselves up.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    15 Nov '19 12:30
    @sonhouse

This is a major breakthrough in chemistry and not to be belittled.

BUT it is not an energy carrier for the next few decades that is for sure. They made very small amounts at liquid nitorgen temperature...(that alone could be the killer, to achive the temperature you probably need more energy than you can store in the compund), with a Laser using a highly exothermic compund in the first place.

I understand that the researcher need to fit in financing models, so they have to claim that it will be an energy carrier perhaps, if and if and if....
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Nov '19 14:36
    @Ponderable
    My question is how do they extract the energy once stored like that? Pressure? Heat? What kind of energy are they talking about?
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    16 Nov '19 14:42
    @sonhouse said
    @Ponderable
    My question is how do they extract the energy once stored like that? Pressure? Heat? What kind of energy are they talking about?
    Well the compund is highly exothermnic, so it will readily decay into N2 again. This will probably explosive. You can drive (hypothetically) a motor, weher you even don't need air to enable the explosive decomposition.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    16 Nov '19 16:44
    @ponderable said
    @sonhouse

This is a major breakthrough in chemistry and not to be belittled.

BUT it is not an energy carrier for the next few decades that is for sure. They made very small amounts at liquid nitorgen temperature...(that alone could be the killer, to achive the temperature you probably need more energy than you can store in the compund), with a Laser using a highly ex ...[text shortened]... ancing models, so they have to claim that it will be an energy carrier perhaps, if and if and if....
    Well, it's better than superconducting magnets which need to be at liquid helium temperatures and that is an up and running technology. I imagine it would need a large plant to operate. Nuclear power plants are typically run at full capacity, at least in the UK. I don't know whether this is a matter of economics or of technology, but it does mean that one cannot expand the amount of nuclear generation beyond that used during the nighttime. The ability to store energy from nuclear generated at night for use during the day, reduces the need for carbon emitting power stations. So having a potential additional way of doing that is a good thing.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Nov '19 04:08
    @Ponderable
    Sounds like the military will be interested in that aspect, eh.
  8. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    17 Nov '19 07:00
    @deepthought said
    Well, it's better than superconducting magnets which need to be at liquid helium temperatures and that is an up and running technology. I imagine it would need a large plant to operate. Nuclear power plants are typically run at full capacity, at least in the UK. I don't know whether this is a matter of economics or of technology, but it does mean that one cannot expand ...[text shortened]... carbon emitting power stations. So having a potential additional way of doing that is a good thing.
    Indeed we use superconducting magnets, but those don't need to be warmed at all, so that the energy we need to coll them down is spend once. After that you "just" need to replenish what is lost by insufficient insulation.

In this case you need to cool down the already quite expensive (energy-wise) azid and then cool it to liquid nitrogen temperature. Since you want to store energy you probably have big difficulties in doing heat integration to keep the expensive low temperatures in the sytsme. Since the compound is only stable up to about -50° C you also need kryo-equipment to use it all.

So even if we could think about a way to make more than a few mg (and we would need millions of tons per day) at higher temperatures atrting from less expensive material the use as energy storgae is not feasible.
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    17 Nov '19 07:02
    @sonhouse said
    @Ponderable
    Sounds like the military will be interested in that aspect, eh.
    The military is interested in explosives which can be handled dafely. I don't see that here. Azid, which is a starting material here has been used in ignition caps, but I think has been replaced.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    17 Nov '19 10:551 edit
    @ponderable said
    The military is interested in explosives which can be handled dafely. I don't see that here. Azid, which is a starting material here has been used in ignition caps, but I think has been replaced.
    What is azid? It seems unlikely that this is a typo as you've used the term twice, or do you mean acid? Wikipedia gives a couple of results, both Azithromycin, which is an anti-biotic, and LSD seem unlikely.

Edit: I looked more carefully. Azid is German, in English it is Azide. N_3- anion, in inorganic chemistry.
  11. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    17 Nov '19 12:12
    @deepthought said
    What is azid? It seems unlikely that this is a typo as you've used the term twice, or do you mean acid? Wikipedia gives a couple of results, both Azithromycin, which is an anti-biotic, and LSD seem unlikely.

Edit: I looked more carefully. Azid is German, in English it is Azide. N_3- anion, in inorganic chemistry.
    my bad, sorry about the confusion 🙁
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Nov '19 15:171 edit
    @Ponderable

So Azid is the correct term?
    Also, are you saying if we were able to make commercial quantities of N6 it would be unstable and therefore basically useless?
  13. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 Nov '19 15:18
    @sonhouse said
    @Ponderable

In German, as Deepthought pointed out it should be Azide in English
  14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    18 Nov '19 16:28
    @sonhouse said
    @Ponderable

Also, are you saying if we were able to make commercial quantities of N6 it would be unstable and therefore basically useless?
    If it wasn't unstable it would not be useful as an energy source. We couldn't have nuclear power if nuclear weapons were impossible.
  15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    18 Nov '19 16:29
    @ponderable said
    my bad, sorry about the confusion 🙁
    Don't worry, I'd never heard of azide and learnt a little more than if you'd used the English term.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree