1. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    28 Apr '22 13:39
    https://news.yahoo.com/mars-helicopter-captures-stunning-images-084039630.html
  2. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    29 Apr '22 02:32
    The whole thing is an awesome accomplishment, but just the fact they can get the thing to fly considering Mars atmosphere is only 1% that of Earth...that is amazing!
  3. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    30 Apr '22 00:16
    @liljo said
    The whole thing is an awesome accomplishment, but just the fact they can get the thing to fly considering Mars atmosphere is only 1% that of Earth...that is amazing!
    1% ?...................is that all?
    I'm dumbfounded
  4. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    02 May '22 13:38
    @jimm619
    Yes, according to Astronomy magazine. They did a full article on the rover and helicopter in a recent magazine. They said the volume of atmosphere on Mars is only 1% of that on Earth. One can only imagine the engineering challenges that had to be met for the helicopter to achieve lift off and actually fly any distance at all over the Martian surface.
  5. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    03 May '22 15:04
    @liljo said
    @jimm619
    Yes, according to Astronomy magazine. They did a full article on the rover and helicopter in a recent magazine. They said the volume of atmosphere on Mars is only 1% of that on Earth. One can only imagine the engineering challenges that had to be met for the helicopter to achieve lift off and actually fly any distance at all over the Martian surface.
    Does the machine have double rotors, or what?..........Did you notice?
  6. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    03 May '22 15:33
    @jimm619 said
    Does the machine have double rotors, or what?..........Did you notice?
    I really didn't notice. I will see if I can dig out that article from Astronomy Magazine. It was very thorough, but I'm not certain if it covered many details of the design. It was mostly covering the mission plans. I'll do my best to find it and check it out.
  7. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    05 May '22 01:371 edit
    @liljo said
    I really didn't notice. I will see if I can dig out that article from Astronomy Magazine. It was very thorough, but I'm not certain if it covered many details of the design. It was mostly covering the mission plans. I'll do my best to find it and check it out.
    You can do an internet search for the Mars Ingenuity Helicopter. It does appear to have two rotors, but I'm certainly no expert on the subject! Lots of good intel about it though.

This article includes a great picture of the Ingenuity 'copter:
    https://interestingengineering.com/mars-perseverance-aerial-scout
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 May '22 14:59
    @jimm619
    It doesn't matter the number of rotors, it is the design of the rotor blades and the rpms the go, I think those blades are running about 3000 RPM, a lot higher than helicopters on Earth but we now know they work on mars so whenever humans get there, there will be designs able to carry humans as well, it's just a matter of engineering now.
  9. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    05 May '22 18:07
    @sonhouse said
    @jimm619
    It doesn't matter the number of rotors, it is the design of the rotor blades and the rpms the go, I think those blades are running about 3000 RPM, a lot higher than helicopters on Earth but we now know they work on mars so whenever humans get there, there will be designs able to carry humans as well, it's just a matter of engineering now.
    Why, then , are we unable to helicopter to
    the top of Everest?
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 May '22 21:00
    @jimm619 said
    the top of Everest?
    What makes you think we are?

(Don't mistake 'aren't willing to risk a human life' for 'are unable'.)
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 May '22 21:51
    @jimm619 said
    the top of Everest?
    It probably is not safe at that altitude because of the jet stream. It is also really cold and fuel does not burn well in thin air.

Anyway, it is time to face the reality that terraforming Mars is impractical because of the thin atmosphere. The atmosphere would have to be thicker and gravity might not be enough to hold it even if we found a way.

Sending people to Mars is a very foolish idea. Stick to robots.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 May '22 21:59
    @liljo said
    Not really.
    How fast can you make a blade turn in a vacuum? Pretty fast since there is no air resistance, but no lift because there is no air. Just change the gear ratio so it goes faster in the 1% Mars atmosphere. Faster = more resistance
    = more lift.

I wonder if the moon's atmosphere is too thin for a helicopter.
  13. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    06 May '22 01:40
    @metal-brain said
    Not really.
    How fast can you make a blade turn in a vacuum? Pretty fast since there is no air resistance, but no lift because there is no air. Just change the gear ratio so it goes faster in the 1% Mars atmosphere. Faster = more resistance
    = more lift.

I wonder if the moon's atmosphere is too thin for a helicopter.
    OK man...so, the fact that man has been able to reach Mars at all, land a rover, operate a helicopter-type drone...doesn't impress you all that much, huh...

Yeah...Okay. You just do you. I am amazed.
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    06 May '22 01:48
    @liljo said
    OK man...so, the fact that man has been able to reach Mars at all, land a rover, operate a helicopter-type drone...doesn't impress you all that much, huh...

Yeah...Okay. You just do you. I am amazed.
    It was impressive the first time I heard about them.
    This is mostly old news. That happened a while ago and there is less gravity on Mars. You need to consider that as well.

Any robot sent to Mars is going to be engineered very well. It is too expensive sending it there without investing a lot in the robot to make sure it will function properly. So sure, it is impressive because it has to be. It would be a waste of money otherwise.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 May '22 22:44
    @jimm619
    Don't know if it has ever been tried, but if it can't it would probably be the fact that Earth gravity would be about three times greater than Mars and therefore needing three times the thrust per kilogram to get it airborne. My guess is there is just not enough power to do that, at least at this stage of aero engineering.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree