1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Oct '21 19:18
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-10-lung-long-term-memory-covid-infection.html
  2. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    08 Oct '21 21:39
    Interesting post, many thanks for so doing.

The bit that caught my eye was the importance of the T cells, which seem to go a bit unnoticed sometimes, while everybody seems overly pre-occupied with anti-bodies.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Oct '21 11:42
    @medullah
    Every year the technology grows, which is amazing in itself.
    I just hope climate change doesn't put a stop to that growth.
  4. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    09 Oct '21 12:26
    @sonhouse

From what I have read some very selfish greedy people in the oil industry have been suppressing cleaner technology that would benefit the climate on a number of levels.

Let's hope that gets overturned soon.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Oct '21 02:42
    @medullah
    Amen for that.
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '21 02:39
    My lungs remember the cannabis I smoked this morning.
  7. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    15 Oct '21 18:10
    @metal-brain said
    My lungs remember the cannabis I smoked this morning.
    That reminds me...BRB 🤔
  8. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    05 Nov '21 23:17
    I had no idea lungs had memories!

If my lungs could talk, now, that'd be a hell of a story!

Welp. Gotta go partake. Have a good weekend everybody! Mine is gonna be Off The Chart!
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Nov '21 18:55
    @Liljo
    I am looking for a good chess program, which one do you use? I figure I might get stronger if I have a good program to analyze my mistakes.
    I am only rated at around 1740 or so, both here and USCF so I have a ways to go.
  10. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    12 Nov '21 02:03
    @sonhouse said
    @Liljo
    I am looking for a good chess program, which one do you use? I figure I might get stronger if I have a good program to analyze my mistakes.
    I am only rated at around 1740 or so, both here and USCF so I have a ways to go.
    Chess program?

I'm still old school. I get some of the greatest games from old chess books, then play them out over a board when I have time. I recently analyzed upwards of 20 games over about a 4 month period. Sometimes it will be after certain positions are played through dozens of times before they make any sense to me.

I have had the benefit of having several friends through the years that were really good players, and I've learned much from each of them. Sadly, they are all gone now.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Nov '21 17:372 edits
    @Liljo
    Nice. Do you play OTB? Do you have USCF rating? Weirdly enough, my rating here is about the same as my USCF, mid 17's.

Most folks here have a big difference between tournament rating and RHP rating.
    I guess you are breathlessly waiting Nov 24, eh. Do you think Magnus will win?
  12. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    15 Nov '21 00:49
    @sonhouse said
    @Liljo
    Nice. Do you play OTB? Do you have USCF rating? Weirdly enough, my rating here is about the same as my USCF, mid 17's.

Most folks here have a big difference between tournament rating and RHP rating.
    I guess you are breathlessly waiting Nov 24, eh. Do you think Magnus will win?
    I played OTB for over 40 years. Never joined the USCF. RHP for me was the result of desperately searching for chess after all my friends who played passed on. Most were 20 years my senior.

Magnus will probably win again. I must say, he is dull to me to study. Like a highly tuned but very complex machine. Some GMs like that just flabbergast me!
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Nov '21 03:14
    @Liljo
    So you played local club tournies? Did you get a club rating there?

I have been spending time on Lichess doing 1 minute bullet, not good for learning but I get the games over in 2 minutes or less.
  14. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    16 Nov '21 01:08
    @sonhouse
    No, we were just a gang of friends, all of them much older than I, who would gather and have games. As long as you won, you stayed on the board. I was the only one who "studied" chess, but all together there must have been 300 years of chess experience! I learned a lot from them, but by the time I was 16-17 years old, I'd stay on the board for hours, man. HOURS.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Nov '21 09:571 edit
    @Liljo
    Yeah, modern GM's live on the edge of failure because of the wide range of openings and tactics they must memorize, they said Bobby had 100,000 separate bits of chess knowledge at his tap every game, and now it may be even more than that, like carrying a whole forest of moves in your head.

Where did you grow up? A cousin taught me at age 8 but languished because nobody to play and didn't play again for ten years as freshman in college, Palomar College in San Marcos California. Fond memories of those years.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree