1. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Sep '19 22:24
    @chaney3 said
    There is a chapel in Sante Fe, New Mexico called Loretto Chapel, which was built in the late 1800's. The builders of the chapel neglected to include a staircase leading from ground floor to the choir section above. Apparently, after construction, all carpenters said a staircase could not be built.

A staircase was finally built by an unknown carpenter that, to this day, se ...[text shortened]... ple.

If any on this forum wish to investigate a little and offer some insight, I'd appreciate it.
    This could have been an interesting topic to discuss, if not for the obvious bias towards something miraculous that most here felt a need to debunk.

So be it.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Sep '19 01:15
    No takers?
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Sep '19 14:16
    @chaney3
    You mean like the idiots who said no human back 4000 years ago could have EVER been smart enough to have built the pyramids THEREFORE aliens are real and they came down to help then build all of them?
  4. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    08 Oct '19 17:34
    I'm waiting for a spiral escalator
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 Oct '19 17:57
    @ketchuplover said
    I think that would be hard to build. What one sees of the escalator is the bit one stands on, but the steps have to return to their starting point. So, while the "steps" going up (say) wouldn't be too hard to make, getting them back to the start would be rather difficult. One for Escher.
  6. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    10 Oct '19 03:18
    @deepthought said
    I think that would be hard to build. What one sees of the escalator is the bit one stands on, but the steps have to return to their starting point. So, while the "steps" going up (say) wouldn't be too hard to make, getting them back to the start would be rather difficult. One for Escher.
    curved escalators exist, and you can stitch several together to make a spiral.

https://www.mitsubishielevator.com/products/escalators/spiral
  7. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    10 Oct '19 03:30
    @sonhouse said
    @chaney3
    A bit overblown if you ask me.
    I'm sure it helps reel in the tourists, though.
  8. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    10 Oct '19 03:41
    @ketchuplover said
    I think this is the closest you're going to get:
    YouTube

"Spiral" is something of a misnomer here, as it's just a series of curved escalators. Looks neat, though.
  9. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    02 Nov '19 19:22
    wood is bent through the use of steam. when it dries it retains the bent shape.

this is how wooden ships were made and any other type of old construction using wood.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Nov '19 18:24
    @mister-moggy
    A bit late with that astounding analysis. I said the same thing on page one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree